temp. and fuel gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temp. and fuel gauges

The temp. and fuel gauges on my 1956 flight hawk don't work. Can someone help with the problem?

Don't have that car, but if both of those guages are in the same assembly, I'd guess no ground or no hot wire to the backside.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Had that problem, and it turned out to be the gauges. The easiest things to do first, are the grounds. Put extra grounds in, it won't hurt. Next are the sending units, than wiring, than gauges themselves. Good luck.

Comment

Weather is beautiful, but windy. We actually got a little rain. Midwest is flooding, were dry. Must be that "Global Warming". I would like to believe the power that be, is kinda holding off untill I install new cat whiskers. I will need lots of good weather to get that done.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by woodchopper

The temp. and fuel gauges on my 1956 flight hawk don't work. Can someone help with the problem?
          Since both are read from different sources, first check the grounding of each guage. You can do that with a VOM, available at Radio hack for about $5. The gounding problem is caused by the dash. The face of your instrument panel is the ground for all your instruments. You can run a wire from the back of each guage, MAKE SURE YOU USE THE SCREWS THAT SECURE EACH GUAGE.

Worst case is that the temperature sending unit is shot. It happens. I went thru one in 23 years. As for the gas, make sure you have a wire running from one of the screws to the trunk pan to make a better ground. The other possibility is that the "cork" float that rides up and down on the fuel level has not been eaten away by the new additives that is in today's gas. If half or more of the cork float is gone it won't float, andif it does not float, no reading.

Comment

Working...
          X