This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you remember Carburator Screens

Do you remember the screens that were under made in the gasket under the carburator. Today I was rounding up a bunch of old carburators to sell and found on of the screens. I had forgotten all about them. I remember buying one in the 50's. I don't know if they did any good or not. But they used to sell them at the Western Auto stores.

Seems to me I remember devices such as that being sold in the 70's as "catalytic" fuel enhancers, or some nonsense like that. The screens were supposed to contain metals that would increase the fuel burning efficiency.

This ring a bell with anyone?

BTW -- They did NOTHING by way of improving anything.

Hebron

Tim Porter
    Hebron Illinois
    1950 Champion 2dr

Comment

Seems to me I remember devices such as that being sold in the 70's as "catalytic" fuel enhancers, or some nonsense like that. The screens were supposed to contain metals that would increase the fuel burning efficiency.

This ring a bell with anyone?

BTW -- They did NOTHING by way of improving anything.

Hebron

Tim Porter
      Hebron Illinois
      1950 Champion 2dr

Comment

I bet those screens did about as much good as the magnet thing you stick on the fuel line. Somehow I doubt a magnet is going to get the air and fuel molecules magnetized and pointed the right direction and even more doubtful is whether the fire in the cylinder really cares about it.

Comment

I bet those screens did about as much good as the magnet thing you stick on the fuel line. Somehow I doubt a magnet is going to get the air and fuel molecules magnetized and pointed the right direction and even more doubtful is whether the fire in the cylinder really cares about it.

Comment

Heh _ I wuz thinking that these screens probably DID influence economy to a degree! However much of a restriction they constitute to the carb throat, it's akin to just mounting a smaller bore carb![8] Smaller carb's gonna flow less gas! Less gas used - YUP! It's a gas-saver!

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Heh _ I wuz thinking that these screens probably DID influence economy to a degree! However much of a restriction they constitute to the carb throat, it's akin to just mounting a smaller bore carb![8] Smaller carb's gonna flow less gas! Less gas used - YUP! It's a gas-saver!

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I was told the screen is supposed to atomize the fuel-air mixture, but I really believe it[?]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

I was told the screen is supposed to atomize the fuel-air mixture, but I really believe it[?]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Working...
                  X