Betty visits the troops! (well, sorta...) PIX ALER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betty visits the troops! (well, sorta...) PIX ALER

Was driving around in the Lark on Friday (and again yesterday); on the same street in Dundas I posed Betty next to two quite different classic military vehicles. This truck (a Dodge, I think; unfortunately it is definitely not a Stude, but still neat) looks rather as though it is still in military service, but actually it is a local sod company's delivery vehicle!

Less than a block away in the parking lot of the Hamilton Air Force Association clubhouse is this Canadair-built Lockheed T-33 Silver Star on a pylon. Two classic American designs built north of 49...

S.

Cool, I have always thought studes look best next to aircraft. Great job on the pics!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Dylan--

Thanx...Eventually I'd like to get a shot of my Lark next to something in 425 Squadron RCAF/CF markings. (425 Sqn were the "Alouettes"; originally a francophone bomber unit in World War II, then postwar a NORAD interceptor unit with CF-100s, Voodoos etc. Alouette is French for "Lark"...)

S.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken Steve, that Military Truck you parked Betty next to is an early '50's GMC. I've seen 1 or 2 up here near LFATC Meaford and quite a number of the Bombardier assembled REO designs that Studebaker built. Always forget to keep the digital camera with me so I can grab pics when I see them.

Doug

6E40-195 1963 Canadian Lark VY-6

Chatsworth, Ontario, Canada
        1963 Canadian Lark VY-6 4E2-122 Deluxe Scotsman

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Doug--

Thanx...will fix my caption on P'bucket that indicates I think it's a Dodge! That truck goes all over town delivering sod. More than a few times I've been at my parents' place and been surprised to see an old military truck rumble past out front. Certainly a creative way to make your business that little bit more visible.

S.

Comment

Hey Steve, awesome pictures, I drove past both those spots in my Stude on Saturday a few times, a couple of times in the day, and afew at night, can't resist driving it around town, got lots of reactions from people, especially since Im a 20 year old driving a car from 1966.

Eric Harnett
            1966 Cruiser
            Hamilton Ontario
            Hamilton Chapter
            Eric Harnett
            1966 Cruiser
            Hamilton Ontario
            Hamilton Chapter

Comment

Hey Eric!

Let me know when you're going to be "oot and aboot" (as we Canadians supposedly always say) in the '66...we can do a duo photo shoot. Maybe at the plant...seeing as both are Hamilton cars. Very pleased to hear your Cruiser, too, is out of hibernation! I've been seeing plenty of neat old rides since the weather turned fair...but haven't yet encountered another Stude on the road.

Dylan--

I agree, Studes do look cool next to airplanes...here are two more local examples...both on pylons at Hamilton Munro Airport (former RCAF station Mt.Hope, and home to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum and its famous Lancaster bomber).

Lockheed CF-104 Starfighter, dramatically mounted in front of the museum...

Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck (aka "Clunk"), mounted nearby at 447 Wing RCAF Association veterans' club...the CF-100 was built at Malton and the Lark at Hamilton, so both are proud products of southern-Ontario industry. BTW the "Clunk" was also designed in Canada...the only combat aircraft type designed here ever to see service.

...And a bit of fun with a practical application. My Lark, if parked on a slope, sometimes has a disconcerting tendency to inch forward or back. Here's an aviation-style solution to that, demonstrated (aptly enough) in CWH's parking lot...a wheel chock! (It's just a chunk of cedar, actually, but just as a chock for a classic Warbird might bear the aircraft's registration number, so Betty's chock says "1H2377"...)

Comment

Your welcome to drop by my house and take a picture along side my 1953 Studebaker Duce and a half :&gt

I have a friend who has a GMC that has that style body in your picture. My Studebaker is a M-35 series which came with a Continental engine, Reo and Studebaker both made my truck, mine is registered as a Studie.
                So depending on the contract the truck in your picture could be a GMC, Dodge or some other manufacturer under the same military contract the same as mine was.

Comment

Working...
                X