Power Steering Conversion Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Conversion Kit

Does anyone know of a company that manufactures and sells a Power Steering Conversion kit for a 1962 Golden Hawk?

Carl

you can source the parts from a Hawk originally equipped with P/S, not a difficult add, just stay tuned and someone might speak up. New hoses are available for that setup as well.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

You can get all the bolt on parts you need from SASCO. Just use your parts book as reference. It will be an easy installation. Heck I used these parts and some fabricated parts and installed PS on my 63 Champ last week and couldn;t be happier with diffence it made to my truck, I can now park easily and turn at slow speeds with ease. Life is good.

Comment

Actually, if the front end is in good condition and lubed properly and with the right alignment, AND with the correct size tires inflated properly, the GT Hawks were very nice driving cars WITHOUT PS. I'd make sure everything is in good shape up front before I considered a conversion to PS.

Also, there is no such thing as a 1962 Golden Hawk. Golden Hawks were made from 56-58. There are 1962 Gran Turismo Hawks that were gold, however .

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Actually, if the front end is in good condition and lubed properly and with the right alignment, AND with the correct size tires inflated properly, the GT Hawks were very nice driving cars WITHOUT PS. I'd make sure everything is in good shape up front before I considered a conversion to PS.

Also, there is no such thing as a 1962 Golden Hawk. Golden Hawks were made from 56-58. There are 1962 Gran Turismo Hawks that were gold, however .

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, Wa

T
          Thanks Dick for your help, I think your trying to be potilically correct and thats NOT kosher in the SOUTH. Your input has nothing to do with my question!!!!

Carl

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Carl L. Hamilton

Thanks Dick for your help, I think your trying to be potilically correct and thats NOT kosher in the SOUTH. Your input has nothing to do with my question!!!!
            Carl,
            I can't figure out what I was being politically correct about, but I'll take it as a compliment. Being politically correct is not one of my strong suits.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quoteoes anyone know of a company that manufactures and sells a Power Steering Conversion kit for a 1962 Golden Hawk?

Carl, these PS systems come up on Ebay all the time. They are very easy to install. You need the power assist ram c/w bracket, pump c/w special bolts and the little manifold bracket, Idler arm and the control valve, and all new hoses for the control valve. check to make sure you have the correct bellcrank with the hole for the power assist ram.

Expect to pay $250 or more for a complete system. At that price you will have to rebuild all the components. Parts are about $45.00 Hoses will run you about $160?

It's nice to know that you have a Golden Hawk, mine is a Black Hawk and I have to remind people that all the time when they ask me if she's a Golden Hawk. (Nope it's Black)

Sorry for being a smart @ss , so is Dick (he probably didn't notice it was your 2 post).

Welcome to the Forum! We are really a good crowd but sometime when the opportunity strikes, we just can't help ourselves

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
              Oakville, Ontario.
              Hamilton Chapter
              See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
              PSMCDR 2013
              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Carl--Is yours a metallic Golden Hawk? I be that's pretty. My 62 is a metallic Bluish Hawk. There's a thread on here about installing 92 Mitsubishi Montero P. S.

Comment

Thanks for this valuable info, I can now get into this project with some knowlege about PS conversion. Carl

Carl

Comment

Carl, the nice thing about this Forum is that sometimes you more than you bargained for. Some people might see this as a downside, I guess.

Dick's 100% right. There is no such thing as a 1962 Golden Hawk. Golden Hawks were pretty special Studebaker models, and were equipped with more powerful engines, a 352 Packard in '56, and a supercharged Studebaker 289 in '57-'58. Those are the only years that Golden Hawks were produced.

A '62 Hawk will be a GT Hawk, and they are nice cars cars in their own right. I know, I have a '63, and it's even painted gold. It just isn't a Golden Hawk.

Secondly, and it comes up time and again, people come on this board wanting to add power steering, and complaining of the "hard steering" in their car. It's simply good, prudent policy to make sure that the entire steering system of ANY car is in good, sound condition, and properly lubricated before adding a power assist. If the steering has become stiff due to seized king pins, or seized thrust bearings or center pivot, adding power assist will paper over that to some extent, but will still do nothing about proper return to the neutral position after a turn, which is an important safety consideration.

Now maybe you know all that, and have made certain that the existing manual steering is in fine shape, and just want the power assist for good and sufficient reasons of your own. Your original question didn't give us any clue about that.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Welcome to the forum Carl. You will find so many here are willing to share a wealth of information & point out things in pictures that you would probably have missed (studerich amazes me in his ability to do this!) The king pins as Gord pointed out may be part of your problem. So many when they are lubed, stop when the grease comes out of the lower joint, so the upper bearing doesnt get the needed grease. One way to go around this is lube the front end with weight on the wheels, such as ramps. Then at least there is pressure on the lower joint, although you will still see alot of grease come out of the lower before the upper starts to seep out. You may have to disassemble the king pin & wash out all the bearings. If you do, keep track of the spacers & reassemble them in the same position & you should be good to go for many more years. I also have a 63 Gran Turismo Hawk and consider it to be one of the best looking cars of the 60's.

60 Lark convertible
                      61 Champ
                      62 Daytona convertible
                      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2)
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                      X