Changes from 50 to 51 Champions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes from 50 to 51 Champions

Has there ever been an article in TW which addresses the various changes from the 50 to the 51 Champion? If this has been addressed can someone please let me know which issue so I can try to find one.

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

It'd take 3 or 4 different issue to cover everything. [)]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

They sure look the same on the outside, don't they? I remember not too long ago a member in Matt's SDC Chapter wanted to get a motor from one, and put it into the other. It's not as easy as you'd think...
      [:0] [B)] [V]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Jimmie; I think the only things from a '50, they saved to create the '51 were the body tub, fenders, doors, hood, and a slightly modified '50 deck lid.

In other words, save the radiator cap, and drive a new car under it and you've got a '51. They improved EVERYTHING!

In those times with brisk sales, they could afford to do that, the only other post war car I can think of that got that many exclusive, new parts, would be the Avanti! [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Jimmie; I think the only things from a '50, they saved to create the '51 were the body tub, fenders, doors, hood, and a slightly modified '50 deck lid.

In other words, save the radiator cap, and drive a new car under it and you've got a '51. They improved EVERYTHING!

In those times with brisk sales, they could afford to do that, the only other post war car I can think of that got that many exclusive, new parts, would be the Avanti! [:0]

StudeRich
          That is a good way to put it.
          Even the Avanti used the existing chassis with front suspension new in 1951.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

But on the bright side, I believe the 1950 model year was the highest production year EVER for Studebaker with a production of over 343,000 automobiles.

Dick
            Mountain Home, AR

Dick
            Mountain Home, AR
            http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Since '50 was a year onto itself - suspension-wise, does anyone wanna speculate why the 50 suspension planforms only lasted ONE YEAR??? Was it THAT horribly contrived? I ask that because I don't recall reading nightmarish things about the 50 suspension setup.[:I]

Rich, I think you shoulda qualified that it was the REAR fenders that were kept. Engines stayed the same save for oil pans and other minor external differences too.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X