Front engine plate gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front engine plate gasket

Is the front plate gasket, between the block and the plate, better installed dry or with some type of dressing/sealer? If so, what is best? My concern of course is that with engine oil pressure in this area, it seems prone to develop a leak.

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

What is the "front engine plate"?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Ron: if you are talking about the plate between the block and timming gears and the support for the timming gear cover, then I suggest you use some good gasket sealer on both sides of the plate. I have not had one of these gaskets leak much at all over the years but it doesn't hurt for a little sealer to be sure. Ted

Comment

That's teh one.
        As for sealer, stick with good old Indian Head shellac or is there something modern AND better? (modern isn't always better)

quote:Originally posted by studepickups

Ron: if you are talking about the plate between the block and timming gears and the support for the timming gear cover, then I suggest you use some good gasket sealer on both sides of the plate. I have not had one of these gaskets leak much at all over the years but it doesn't hurt for a little sealer to be sure. Ted
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Ron,

I usually use spray Copper Coat or similar on that gasket - for the simple reason that this is a fairly large gasket, and 'painting' the Indian Head shellac (I like the old style Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket liquid...been using it for years) takes quite a while. With the spray Copper Coat, it is much easier and quicker.

Paul
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

What ever you use, Do Not use a so called "Gasket Maker Sealer" without a gasket! The gasket provides the clearance for the oil slinger. Without the gasket, that little oil slinger will saw a hole in your timing cover or at best (due to the contact friction) heat up and burn out your front crankshaft seal while it is carving out a groove to run in.

John Clary
            Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have the gasket, not problem there. And you are right, as thick cardboard as it is, there would be clearance problems without it.

Paul thanks for the heads up on the copper coat. I've got a spray can somewhere around here, I think, I haven't seen or thought about it in years.

quote:Originally posted by jclary

What ever you use, Do Not use a so called "Gasket Maker Sealer" without a gasket! The gasket provides the clearance for the oil slinger. Without the gasket, that little oil slinger will saw a hole in your timing cover or at best (due to the contact friction) heat up and burn out your front crankshaft seal while it is carving out a groove to run in.

John Clary
              Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
              SDC member since 1975
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
              X