PDA

View Full Version : A Really Hard Decision -Taking Lark to the Crusher

Avantidon
03-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Most of the people who know me know that I am not in the habit of destroying Studebakers if I can figure out a way to make one whole. Several months ago I bought a 4-Door Lark DeLux to make a daily driver out of. My intent was to fix what needed to be repaired and drive it regarless of how it looked.

The Lark I bought I bought right but soon discovered that the motor was frozen. Not a big deal but after playing with it for over 60 days it is still frozen and probably needs to be replaced or torn down and rebuilt. Quite frankly right now and for the forseeable future I do not have the time or the energy to devote to that task.

Therefore before I tow the car to the junk yard, I'd like to see if anyone would like to take it off of my hands for a parts car. I do have a good title for the car if one was interested in making it run. The car is highly restorable but as a 4-door base model Lark the issue is is it worth it?

The frame is solid and so are most of the body panels. The doors are rusted at the bottom and need to be repaired. Only one floor pan (drivers side) is questionable. The glass (all of it) is in excellent condition as is the front and rear window moldings. Hood and trunk deck including the hinges and springs are very salvagable and straight. The interior needs a little help. I was surprised also by how solid the trunk is with only one minor problem in one corner. The car is equipped with a three-speed manual tranny that shifts into all gears. Clutch seems to be OK also. The car has a 259 V-8 which is frozen. Fuel pump is relatively new and a visual check of the radiator shows no leads or sign of leaking and is full of antifreeze.

Before taking it to the grave yard I want to see if there is interest in the car as I hate to crush Studebakers.

The real issue is price. I have $650.00 in the car and will let it go for $400.00 as is where is. If there is no interest I will take it to its grave by 04/01/09. So now is the chance to save it.

If someone wants the parts that I have already removed from the car, we can discuss that as I have all of the parts and a few more that were in the car when I bought it. Included in that was one rare Lark Radio delete plate as the car has an after-market radio in it but someone had the sense to save the delete plate.

I have over 40 pictures of the car on my Photobucket site and here is the link:

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/avantidon/1962%20Lark%20DeLux/

Please take a look at the pictures and if you have questions please contact me out of here as right now I do not check here daily has I have done in the past.

Hopefully someone will save this very salvagable little Lark.

Thanks for reading this post.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Dick Steinkamp
03-19-2009, 11:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by Avantidon
will let it go for $400.00 as is where is. If there is no interest I will take it to its grave by 04/01/09. So now is the chance to save it.

I've never been crazy about the "buy it or I'll scrap it" threat.

Whole prepared car bodies (gas tank, tires, battery and radiator removed) here are bringing $33.75 a ton. I know prices around the country vary, but even at $50/ton, the car will bring about $75. If you have your own trailer, and the yard is close, you might net $50 when you scrap it.

Why $400 to someone that wants to save it or part it out and will come and get it?

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/pics075-1-1.jpg

buddymander
03-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Cuz if he junks it, he's going to remove all the parts worth saving. For the $400, you get it complete.

Roscomacaw
03-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Well, you can't blame Don for wanting to recoup some of his bad investment. But, some things do come down to taking your lumps. I only got a fraction of what I had in that Daytona when I sold it to you. I'd been asking twice the amount you paid for it - even tho the little voice inside of me was telling me I wouldn't ever get that amount.
It took someone WITH the talent AND the vision to come along and be it's savior - and to a degree - mine.:D

I'd like to be savior the little '59 Lark 4dr that's currently being stripped here. It's a good, solid body with a frozen engine. But it's mission is to provide parts for a friend's 60 Lark 2-dr. What's left will go to the scrap yard. Of course, it's easier with this one as I don't really have any money in it.;)

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

kamzack
03-19-2009, 01:28 PM
AVD,

I can sense that much talk and encouragement won't change your mind about scrapping your Lark. My opinion says it's worth saving as a driver. From where I sit and what I see, it's a very buildable Lark. Wouldn't have to have a full body off resto, but a few bucks spent on engine, suspension would yeild a fun, dependable driver. Having rebuilt a few Studebaker engines, I'm aware of money that can be spent on a rebuild, so maybe someone will take it and at least drop the pan, pull the heads and have a look see.
Driving a Studebaker as a daily driver has the luxury of not meeting yourself about every 4th or 5th car. It will also be a car that can be worked on at home, since it doesn't have a computer, and doesn't require a technician to hook his diagnostic stuff to and tell you must spend a grand or more to have it going again. Distributor, points, condensor, mechanical fuel pump, carb and all the simple stuff that makes our cars and trucks so much fun to own.
All this to say, I hope someone will take your offer to sell for $400.00. It's worth every bit of it. Afterall they ain't makin em no mo.
I love drivin rusty old Studebakers
Kim
don't hit me too hard

Dick Steinkamp
03-19-2009, 02:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
I only got a fraction of what I had in that Daytona when I sold it to you. I'd been asking twice the amount you paid for it - even tho the little voice inside of me was telling me I wouldn't ever get that amount.
It took someone WITH the talent AND the vision to come along and be it's savior - and to a degree - mine.:D

I don't know if I have any talent OR vision, but I do appreciate the deal you gave me on that Daytona. It will be a sweet Stude soon thanks to the head start you gave it.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/pics075-1-1.jpg

jclary
03-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Don, Are you not in Pennsylvania? Surely as active as the Keystone SDC chapter is, you can find someone to rescue the car!

Looking at the paint scheme on that car, was it some kind of "Fleet" vehicle?

John Clary
Greer, SC
http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u346/jconln/HPIM0372-2.jpg
I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
SDC member since 1975

bams50
03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Being the self-proclaimed Lark rescuer of the Northeast, I e-mailed Don. Sadly, as stated, there's no way I could pay that price for it. If no one else steps up, maybe Don and I can make a deal. Time will tell.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

StudeRich
03-19-2009, 03:55 PM
OK, what has NOT been said here is: it is NOT a '59-'60 type Lark, the pics show it's a 1962 Deluxe, with improvements like suspended manual shift Pedals etc. but with those Loooong looking rear doors! That puts a whole new twist on what is being said! [:0]

bams50
03-19-2009, 03:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

That puts a whole new twist on what is being said! [:0]

How so, Rich? She's still pretty tired...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

gordr
03-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Don, I don't view your "sell or scrap" decision as a threat. Rather more that you've come to the decision that you don't want to expend further time or money on this car, and that you have to set yourself a deadline, by which time you have to have made a move of some sort.

If I lived anywhere near you, I'd certainly make you an offer on it, but I'm 2000 miles away, and tied up at work until well past the first, so it's not going to happen. And '62s are not exactly my favorite model, so I'd be seeing it strictly as a parts car, and with a stuck engine, and no overdrive, not a particularly desirable parts car at that.

All I can really add is that if it were me selling a car under these circumstances, yes, I initially ask a for a sum that would at least partially recoup my initial expenditure, but if it came down to the weekend before C day, the guy who showed up with a trailer and a C-note would get it. Less work for me, more money in my jeans. What's not to like?

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

bams50
03-19-2009, 04:26 PM
...and if it comes to that, I will be the guy. E-mail sent.

Parish, central NY 13131

4961Studebaker
03-19-2009, 06:06 PM
If you still have the back up lens bases I'd be interested in getting those from you.

ChopStu
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_5406-1.jpg

StudeRich
03-19-2009, 06:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

How so, Rich? She's still pretty tired...

It changes the whole desirability thing from a totally well shaped, well liked design, by MOST, to about the UGLY in some eyes, one off '62 4 Dr. look, not so well liked.

There are WAY fewer Studebaker collectors out there who knowing all the models well, obviously can save any style that appeals to them, who actually appreciate this style of 4 dr. This also applies to the wagon, :( but not so much the 2 Dr's., Hardtops, and Convertibles. [^]

The plus side of the coin, as I said: as a parts car, there are way more interchangeable parts from a '62, to the more popular '63-'66 models.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/My64Daytona.jpg
StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

bams50
03-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Rich. You make good points. Still, I admit to being one of the few that likes the 62 look. But then, I prefer the 52 front end over the 53-54, so what do I know[:I]

Parish, central NY 13131

Neil
03-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Don,I am interested in your lark. I have a 63 cruiser I am trying to make road worthy again but your lark sounds like it will take lees body work than mine needs,plus your not that far away. Neil G.

NEIL G. CENTRAL PA

Avantidon
03-20-2009, 06:52 AM
I appreciate all of the feedback on my little Lark. When I first started this project it was my intent to make this car a driver just as it is. That was before I discovered the engine was frozen solid and like I said I have played with it for over 60 days and it is still stuck. Yes, I have another engine but was going to use that one for another project. This car is very solid and would make someone a good driver with a bunch of TLC. I have removed all of the chrome as shown and it has cleaned up very nicely. Door panels and arm rests are going to a good home and will be used on another car. The car was repainted sometime in the past as it was originally one color BROWN and someone made it two-tone, Those who have questioned the value at the salvage yard are correct, I'll never recapture my investment and that's my loss and my mistake. I have been down this road before and that's part of the risks you take in life sometime. Some you win and some you lose. This one is one for the loss column. As I stated before I have no choice I need to find a home for this car as I have no more storage space and really don't want to rent another garage to put it in for a futre project. Hopefully all will understand these issues and points. Currently my garage is full with cars and I have already rented two additional garages for two other vehicles so as I said I have no space.

Thanks for all of the comments as I am not a fan of destroying Studebakers but I have no choice on this one unless it finds another home.

barnlark
03-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Good luck Don. Hope it works out.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN1253_2.jpg

jackb
03-20-2009, 12:06 PM
......I'd like to suggest combining 2 parallel threads here: You have correctly advertised this car on the best "access" forum available to Stude people. Will you wait 3 months to put it in TW's ?? Unlikely....But, to the point, how about investing in the future: accept the loss, but offer the car "free" to a young person online here or in your or a nearby chapter. Make a deal with him/her that you will mentor them along the way if they have less help in their chapter. Karma....wheel...maybe ....Here's an investment in SDC waiting for a sponsor.....I doubt a 16 yo kid is waiting for TW's to find that "starter" Stude....I have a bunch of 59-60' stuff I will donate to the cause..........

jimmijim8
03-20-2009, 02:17 PM
4dr. Studebakers. I like 'em. I don't like them any less than a 2 dr. Some brand x 4 dr's are less attractive to me in comparison with their 2 dr same make counterparts. I wouldn't throw that up to a proud owner. He my be offended. Thats my opinion. Who cares? Some may, and some do consider all Studes to be a bit odd looking when compared to the Big 3. That's their problem. My opinion is that a 4 dr. Stude of any year is no less attractive than it's 2 dr. brother or vise versa. Does everybody assume that C&K. 2 drs, and Avanti are premier in the Stude World? I for one don't. It would be pretty boring to go to a Stude meet and not see any 4 drs. Takes all kinds of folks and Studes to make this club function. Some here and within the membership need to be a bit more open minded and considerate of other peoples feelings and tastes. Unflattering, aimless, and personal opinion statements regarding 4 drs. which sometimes cause some to assume 4dr. sedans to be considered 2nd class as far as pecking or picking order is concerned are unfounded and misleading. As far as 4 dr. owners are concerned, I'm sure they don't need or want to be subjected to un solicited and unflattering remarks concerning their cars and preferences. It is the main reason that contributes to the reasoning for their lower than what they are worth moneytary values. That only. Regarding these cars as second class is a misleading and a disingenuous mythical characterization without merit that should be put aside. No offense to anybody. jimmijim jimmijim

jgrohs
03-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Don, you should make Smokey Joe your daily driver!

Jeff

1951 Rod
1962 Champ
1963 Avanti R1
1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
1964 Daytona Convertible
2006 Avanti Convertible

buddymander
03-20-2009, 03:02 PM
I think if I had a fordor, I'd switch the handles side for side so it looked like a sixties Lincoln type of fordor, and weld the holes shut. The back doors would only open from the inside. That would take it form uncool to waycool.

StudeDave57
03-20-2009, 05:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by buddymander

I think if I had a fordor, I'd switch the handles side for side so it looked like a sixties Lincoln type of fordor, and weld the holes shut. The back doors would only open from the inside. That would take it form uncool to waycool.
You do know this is the S T U D E B A K E R Forum, right [?] [?] [?]

We only have four doors (and two doors) here...

StudeDave '57 [:o)] [}:)]
no FORDs in my garage!!!

rockne10
03-20-2009, 10:01 PM
quote:offer the car "free" to a young person now that's an idea with merit![:p]

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/Rockne/th_Rocknegauges.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

sbca96
03-20-2009, 10:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by Avantidon
The real issue is price. I have $650.00 in the car

I have more then that in just my wheels. The price of the used TKO
was $650, this isnt a cheap hobbie. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Hopefully someone will take it off your hands.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

Mark57
03-20-2009, 11:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57
StudeDave '57 [:o)] [}:)]
no FORDs in my garage!!! [/b]

Heh heh..I can say the same thing... yes, I do own a F**D, but only the Studebaker gets to park in the garage! ;)

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0289-1.jpg

buddymander
03-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Ya me too; I drive either a Fordor a Studebaker....

rusty65
03-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Wow AVD it's tough to make choices such as this one, but the bottom line is that it's your ride.It was tough to let go of my first Stude, a '66 4-door Commander.It was rustier than all get-out, and my mechanic said he wouldn't trust it to go to the corner mailbox.I basically broke even on this car as I paid $150 for it and sold the 283 for $150.The motor went into a '55 Chevy and ran great.I got to take it for it's last ride before the motor got pulled.Prior to the trip to the graveyard, my mechanic (a friend of the buyer)had the presence of mind to pull the gas tank,radiator and heater control valve.He dropped them off at my house where they stayed for years.When I bought my '65 ,I had the tank and radiator redone and they reside in her today.Glad I saved them.Anyhoo, back to your car.It looks like that aftermarket radio is also an 8-track player,true?Please send me an e-mail;I might be interested in it.Thanks and good luck with whatever decision you go with.

rockne10
03-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Another thought would be to offer it to a Vo-Tech. That could get a number of students involved in Studebakers.

Hippie
03-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Man, I wish you weren't so far away I'm looking for an old 4 door for a daily driver project.

Analog man in a digital world.

jimmijim8
03-22-2009, 08:26 AM
What a diverse bunch we are here. Some here restore cars for the love of it , challenge or for whatever reason and once done sell them at a loss so they can start another. I would guess, lack of storage, or a very charitable person. Some for whatever reason will try and extricate every little bit of money they can from the sale of a car even resorting to parting. Some have always given back more than the've taken from the Studebaker soup line. Some will never quell their appetite. Just an observance from reading the forum posters.