Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars and Trucks

Hello Everyone:
    I just signed up today, looking for a little advise from people who love their Studebakers. I lost my beloved husband 11 years ago. He left me with 6 old Studebakers that were in our garage. After this much time, I realize that in order for me to move on, I have to decide what to do with these vehicles. When he first passed away, I recieved a lot of calls about them, but was very protective of them and would not let anyone see them. Still not sure, but here is what I have. 48 pickup, 49 pickup, 65 Lark, 66 Lark, 51 Starlight Coupe (this car was a big winner in many drag races) and a 55.
    The 55 is the least attractive. The rest are still beautiful. I am trying to figure out the right way to sell these cars. Do I have an appraiser to come out, and if so who do you suggest? It is really difficult because he loved his Studebakers so much, but I know that these cars should have beeen started occationally which I did not do.
    I really am in a pickle. Thank you for your time.

First tell us the area you are in, so you can find someone local to help. It might be as simple as getting some help in getting pictures and such and assisting in placing them on ebay. Ebay tends to be the place to get the best money for the cars, and you can set a reserve to insure that they do not sell to cheaply.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Thank you for responding. I am in Indiana, just a couple of hundred miles from South Bend.

Comment

Inapickle, welcome, you have come to the right place. All members on this forum love Studebakers also. What state are these cars/trucks located in? I can't help you on pricing but I am sure there are many that will. Again Welcome.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
        Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Thanks Ken,
          Again, I am in Indiana, close to Indianapolis. I had been advised to have an auction, but I really think maybe the ebay idea is better. My husband also has STUFF, like the old radios and hubcaps, manuals and parts that I do not know what is.

Comment

There is also a studebaker swap meet the 1st weekend of May at the St Joe's fairground in South bend ...a good place to sell parts.

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
            "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
            1964 Daytona HT
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Maybe someone SDC close to you can lend a helping hand. Maybe you can work a deal where if they are already going to the swap meet they can bring your parts and sell them and you help with expenses. Just a thought. There are a lot of good people in this club. I wish I was closer I be willing to help. Good Luck

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
              Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I wish you were too. My husband was a memeber of SDC and I have some back issues of Turning Wheels. I will try that. Thanks

Comment

Inapickle,

As KGlowacky mentioned, you really have come to the right place. Your husband loved these vehicles and therefore you have also loved them as a connection to him. That is not only endearing and healthy, but it is a very natural thing. The men and women who post comments here will treat you and your collection with the respect and compassion that would make your husband proud to have been a collector of Studebakers! Welcome and enjoy the experience!

Pat

55 Commander
                  58 Transtar
                  62 GT Hawk
                  66 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Inapickle

I wish you were too. My husband was a memeber of SDC and I have some back issues of Turning Wheels. I will try that. Thanks
                    I'm Bob Palma, one of the founding members of what was then called Central Indiana Chapter SDC. I've been active here ever since (circa 1970) and live in Brownsburg, maybe 8 or 9 miles NW of The Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

If your husband was an SDCer and you lived in central Indiana (it sounds like you do), he was probably a member of what is now known as our Indy Chapter SDC. Chances are excellent I know you or knew your husband, but I don't recognize that Studebaker assortment and may have to have my memory refreshed if you folks have been away from the hobby for some time.

If you don't want to post additional personal information on an international website, that is understandable. So, if you'd like to have a local Studebaker person look at the Studes and point you in some direction toward disposing of them, click on the little envelope above this post and you can send me a private e-mail and I'll get back to you. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Dear Inapicle
                      Sorry about your loss.Call some appraisers at least 3 watch ebay for like sales. Spending acouple 100 now will bring you peace of mind later.And an appraiser will be able to tell you what condition the cars are in now. If the cars have just been sitting for 11 years that could be as much of a - as could be a+. Good luck to you.

Comment

Hey Pat,
                        Thanks for your comments. He did love those old cars, there is one etched in his tombstone. Hard to let go of, but he was a super dude. I wish he could have been around to get with you guys, I swear he was the best mechanic in the world on everything, but especially the old Studebakers.
                        Pickles

Comment

Inapickle

Again sorry about the reason you need to sell the Studebakers. I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but It will be easier to sell the vehicles if you can locate the titles.

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob:
                            Yes, I do have clean titles for the cars. I have been emailed by a couple of different Studebaker guys my area ,thanks to this forum, who have already been so helpful. I am surprised and grateful that the
                            responses have come so quickly. This morning I had no idea where to start. This afternoon I have people who I can trust. Thanks to everyone, especially Bob and Richard. I will keep everyone informed as to my next adventure with the Studebakers.
                            Pickles

Comment

Not to sound like a broken record, but welcome, and you surely did come to the right place; you and your collection are in good hands. Bob Palma has the knowledge and trustworthiness to head up this process for you.

The one thing I will add: Do not sell these at a traditional auction. You'll get the least money out of them, since there's not much opportunity to correctly prep and market them. You get what people are willing to pay for an unknown quantity, at that moment, on a split-second decision.

Auctions do have their place- mostly when everything needs to be gone in an extremely short time frame, or the owner cannot abide even a little planning. From what I'm gathering, the cars are safe and you don't have time pressure to move them; so the best route is as you're doing- get with a knowledgeable agent to handle disposal of everything. Not only will the cost be less than an auction company, you can be assured the vehicles will go to appreciative new owners, at a price that's fair for everyone. As JDP said, good prep and listing on eBay are the best way to go. My own will specifies this method specifically for when I move on.

Best of luck to you. We love the cars, and hope you keep us posted along the way; and if possible, pictures would be great!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                              X