PDA

View Full Version : 62 Hawk rear springs

johnesmonde
08-17-2006, 10:22 PM
I have been experiencing 'creaking' sounds from the rear of the car when accelerating from a stop. On examining the springs on the hoist I noticed the bushings were dried out and cracked. The front spring bushings are severely worn. Am I correct in assuming that this is probably the main cause of the creaking? There is a rubber-like pad that looks like it was cut from a truck mud flap between the axle and the spring in-between the u-bolts. My buddy feels that it shouldn't be there and a bolt or pin in the spring should make contact with a depression in the axle to keep it from wandering. The rubber pad would prevent it. Is this correct? The shop manual doesn't help.
On a different topic, It is a 62 Hawk but probably a '57 289. I want to order a Pertronix ignition but don't know what distributor I have. It has a single set of points and no window. Any ideas?

Regards,
John

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

rockne10
08-17-2006, 10:39 PM
The spring array center pin should fit into a hole in the axle spring purchase; shouldn't be a rubber pad there that I'm aware of. SI sells a rear spring liner kit (pads fit between each leaf) and they also have bushings, which you should replace. My local spring shop also has those bushings and the tools to remove and press them in to the frame. If you have a good spring shop nearby, they should be able to fix it easily and won't neglect new u-bolts.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

johnesmonde
08-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Thanks Brad! I will order the bushings and liners and have my local spring shop install them and remove the rubber pads. Do you think this will eliminate the "creaking"?

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

Dwain G.
08-18-2006, 12:27 AM
That spring insulator is illustrated in the parts manual with the notation 62, 63, 64 only. Part number 1554620, quantity 4.
The tag on a 1957 distributor would be Delco Remy #1110864.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/9GQ2.jpg
Dwain G.

blackhawk
08-18-2006, 03:45 AM
John,

All my Studebakers (8 total from 1961 to 1964), including my '63 Hawk, have rubber pads between the springs and the spring plates. Don't worry about the center pin for the leaf springs not extending far enough to reach the hole in the spring plate. The U-bolts will hold the axle, spring and spring plate together securely without any movement. The pad is there, I assume, to reduce transmission of road noise to occupants of the car.

Yes, bad bushing can cause noises. But usually it is a clunking noise rather than a creak from the throughbolt hitting the metal spacer after the rubber part has deteriorated to the point of beating out of there. My Hawk has a broken leaf in one rear spring that causes a creaking noise. I think you'd also get a creaking or squeaking noise if the plastic liners between the leaves have worn through. If I remember right, my hawk has full length liners and they wear through near the ends of the leaves. The larks have plastic pads between the ends of the leaves instead of the full length liners. Check your car and book though. I am being lazy. My car and book are outside and it is late.

Dale

hank63
08-18-2006, 07:18 AM
While you are working with the rear axle, take the time to check it's alignment. If the axle is not sitting 90 to the car centre-line, adjust it. It's a simple enough check and can reduce/eliminate crabbing and tyre wear.
/H

johnesmonde
08-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Dale, thanks for the reply! I'm still not sure what to do.Your experience says the pads should be there yet Brad feels they shouldn't. I think I will see what the spring shop suggests but definitely replace the insulators which I have on order. Dwain, I'll check for a tag on the distributor and Hank, I'll have the spring shop check the axle alignment. Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated!

John Esmonde
Holland Landing, Ontario
Canada
'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

rockne10
08-22-2006, 11:53 PM
John,

If Dwain says they should be there, they should be there. My cars are early fifties. It's been too many years since I had my Larks and I've never had a Hawk[V]. These guys teach me things every day. Sorry for the misinformation.[B)]

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser