62 Hawk Igntion Coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Hawk Igntion Coil

I am contemplating that the reason this car is cutting out, may be because of the ignition coil...I had a similar problem on a 63 Champ. After reviewing the search threads on this forum and reviewing the wiring diagram for the car, my question arises as follows:

Is the coil an internal resister type or the pick wire resister type? Since I am considering going with a Pertronix system, would it be better to get a non-resister coil, and if I do that, do I just bypass the pick wire?

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

IF your car is pink-wire equipped, I'd jump right to that as a suspect. It's well overdue for going "bad".

The Pertronix switch is a great improvement- as is their 40K volt coil. You will not need a ballast resistor. I usually run the Pertronix from the RED Overdrive wire (unless it's being used). located in the harness near the throttle belcrank. It that wire is already used- just replace the pink resistance-wire with a regular wire.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

The resistor wire looks rather frayed at the ignition switch... probably because its old, dried out and tired, kind of like me[)]... What can I use to replace that resistor wire... what is the resistance value... can I use a resistor of the same value or what is the value of the resistor I should use?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mjeansonne

The resistor wire looks rather frayed at the ignition switch... probably because its old, dried out and tired, kind of like me[)]... What can I use to replace that resistor wire... what is the resistance value... can I use a resistor of the same value or what is the value of the resistor I should use?
        The resistance listed in the shop manual is 1.8 ohms... BUT:

If you are switching to a Pertronix- you need NO resistor. Just use #14 or #16 wire in a color similar to pink if you can find it. The pink wires have been NLA for a long time. If you can't find PINK... be sure to use anything but BLACK.. Please solder the end terminals on.

If you want to use regular wire... you have (2) choices. You can use a Ballast resistor and a regular coil, or no Resistor and an internal-resistance coil. I personally think the former is easier on the points.

IF the car is not a "show-car" where absolute correctness is paramount... I would use a GM/Mopar Ballast resistor from the late 60's. It's easiest to hook up, cheap, and only requires ONE mounting hole. You can find a spare hole somewhere on the firewall very easily.

These come in different ohm-ratings.. but offhand I don't know the exact application.

Ray

Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

If you elect to use a ceramic ballast resistor as Studeman's picture shows, be shure to mount it where water cannot reach it. Whether it's either drips from the hood down the firewall or splash. Older(60s&70s)Mopars were notorious for conking out at the most inopertune times because the cold water would crack the resistor. I know this first hand from a 76' Duster I had, and always carried a spare under the seat. Eventually I made a little roof that fit over the top of the resistor on the Duster's firewall which pretty much fixed the problem. Later on Chrysler did that from the factory on some models.

Dean Croft
          Roseburg,OR

CLEM DESEE
          Dean

CLEM

Comment

I'm not too sharp when it comes to these coils!

Am I to understand that I can use any ballast resistor with the stock coil. Or should I purchase a late 60's G.M. coil with matching resistor or universal coil with internal resistor?

Comment

Studebaker seems to have favored coils with external resistors. The Stude vendors sell direct replacements. If you want to get a coil that produces a higher voltage (hotter spark) as in a Pertronix, these seem to only be available with an internal/integral resistor. That means you will have to bypass the pink wire. A lot of people recommend this change as an upgrade. I however, have had two Pertonix Flame-Thrower coils fail and have now gone back to original equipment type external resistor coil.

Tim K.
              '64 R2 GT Hawk
              Tim K.
              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
              X