Electric fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric fan

Anyone ever replace the stock fan with an electric fan? What did you use? Results? I was thinking of replacing the stock 4 blade fan on my 64 R1 Clone. If not electric what other options have any of you used to improve cooling. The car does not get hot while driving, but it does warm up a bit sitting still or moving slowly.

66 Commander R1 Clone
    51 Commander 4dr
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

How many inches is it from your fan to radiator? I like to have about 1" Do you have a shroud that fits close? I guess I just hate to see new fangled stuff where original equipment suffices.

Comment

FWIW, I always used OEM fans, rather than the aftermarket.

1. At the pick'n-pull, look for fans from rigs originally equipped with big iron block V8s. The Ford SUVs, Lincolns, Ford trucks and the like are good places to start measuring. Be sure to get the fan, shroud, relay, wiring pigtail.
      2. For severe duty, the Dodge Viper 2-speed fan is the best I've ever used. Be careful while stopped at crosswalks - on high speed, it will suck babies out of strollers.
      3. On a hot day when the fan is running constantly in slow traffic, expect an electric fan to overload a stock alternator or generator. Usually, a higher amp alternator is required.
      4. Use a temp sensor and a relay to trigger the fan. DO NOT use a manual off/on switch! More than one old car f*rt has fried an engine by forgetting the new gadget he had installed.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

If you want to be clone proper I think you may want the stude fan that works in conjunction with a stude fan clutch. If you have trouble finding a fan, one from Pontiac 69-70 big block will bolt up to a Stude specific fan clutch. I found a 7 blade aluminum one in a bone yard. 69 GPX. The diameter of the fan may be too big but can be carefully cut down and filed to fit. SI has a proper fan and clutch and Hayden makes a fan. An original NOS fan clutch I prefer because it is thermostacially controlled rather than the oil filled repos. Your car your choice. jimmijim

sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Here we go agian....I agree with Jack..

Most aftermarket fans...aren't worth their packaging...in my opinion...
          I've tested a few, and...well...see above!

Mike

Comment

"Clone Proper". That sums it up for me too.

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I'll start rounding up the parts for the fan clutch, etc. I thought maybe that electric might be good because every new car on the road now days is cooled that way. Next question, which vendors carry the needed parts?

66 Commander R1 Clone
              51 Commander 4dr
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I removed my mechanical fan and went all electric...7 years ago.
                Bought a good quality aftermarket high cfm straight blade puller fan.
                (Would have bought a curved blade if they were available then)..
                Hooked it up with dual relays (a/c on = run... Dedicated temp switch = run....manual toggle override = run)
                Schematic:

pic's:

Never have had a problem with it...
                If I beat it up on a 95 degree day, it likes a short 'cool down' period, or else it will puke a little out the overflow (percolating after shut down)...
                But that is after thrashing it pretty hard on a HOT Georgia summer day (right Matthew)
                You get what you choose to put in.
                Educate yourself ahead of time and shop wisely...
                Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kurt

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I'll start rounding up the parts for the fan clutch, etc.
                  A clutch fan is not going to help your cooling problem.

Their function is to DISENGAGE when the engine is cool enough to do so to save HP and noise.

They do not ADD any cooling ability.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Jeff, the next time you have to break open your A/C install a trinary switch in place of the binary (HI/LOW coolant pressure switch). It will energize your fan only as head pressure increases and keep the fan from running while going down the road. Most all the after market outfits have them and they are what new cars use to control cooling.

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

Darned good idea...
                      I'll do that....when it needs freon.
                      I like the idea of an override switch...
                      I've switched it on in traffic jams and parades...just to be sure...
                      But a truly automatic setup would be great.
                      Thanks for the info....
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 4-speed wagonaire

Jeff, the next time you have to break open your A/C install a trinary switch in place of the binary (HI/LOW coolant pressure switch). It will energize your fan only as head pressure increases and keep the fan from running while going down the road. Most all the after market outfits have them and they are what new cars use to control cooling.

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Just my 3 cents. You can take all those clutch fans and send them to the scrape yard so something useful could be made out of them. With a electric fan it is running the same speed while you idling or 70 mph. And you would be surprised how much better it runs with out the clutch fan.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                        Middle Tennessee 37th Annual Car Show April 4 2009

Comment

I used this one of these controllers on mine.http://www.dccontrol.com/0820.htm Varies speed as necessary to maintain temperature.
                          Plus can be fitted with remote adjustment. Can used radiator sensor or coolant sensor in block and control electric water pump

Comment

Like stated above, a fan clutch doesn't cool more efficiently but the 5-6-7 bladed fans cool better than a 4 blader. Lets tell the whole story completely so that novice people and semi-novice can be enlightened. Sorry to bore the sarcasm inclined posters. Some folks need to be more thorough in their posts so as to change their posts from being snide, uneducated, misleading, and at times, unfounded, remarks. You've got a computer so do some research so you won't always be a fountain of mis-information. Here we go. Yo see, years ago, right before the decade of the 60's, someone thought that since the air conditioned equipped car's engine had a increased resistance to its power output only because powering an air conditioning compressor subsequentially causes a decrease in gas mileage. To help diminish the diminishment of the mpg. {gas mileage} Fan blades that would cease to rotate at a predetermined rpm. or temperature or both was needed. Voila! hence the the fan clutch.{a clutch for a fan. hmmh.} A fan will not draw power from the engine if it isn't rotating. Some engineer here would have you think they are crap. I disagree but am not an engineer. Once the engine reaches a certain rpm and the outside temperature and temperature of the coolant are just right, believe it or not, that fan is gonna stop spinning cause the fan clutch is gonna go into the slip mode. Guess what? Your engine, theoretically, is operating under less load. There are 2 old school{60's-70's 80's} types of fan clutches. Thermostacially controlled= One has a spring like looking thingy on the front side of the unit or a rectangular piece of metal attached on the front side. Also filled with some type of oil. Type 2 is the Viscous. Oil filled, when the oil reaches a pre-determined temperature, it will thin and the assembly will disengage. Both types are affected by the ambient temperature of the radiator. Newer ones these days are operated electrically. They serve the same purpose. I don't agree with a previous post that they all belong in junkyards. They have been tested and proven for years. However,they may not be up to the task of aiding in the cooling of someones mis-engineered ill-thought out street machine project. Sometimes there is just no way around an electric fan. They have their merits also. I don't need one on my Stude. jimmijim
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

That looks neat, too...
                              If I were to do another one, I would consider it...
                              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by leyrret

I used this one of these controllers on mine.http://www.dccontrol.com/0820.htm Varies speed as necessary to maintain temperature.
                              Plus can be fitted with remote adjustment. Can used radiator sensor or coolant sensor in block and control electric water pump

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X