NOS PISTONS OR AFTERMARKET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS PISTONS OR AFTERMARKET

This is my first post and need to know from the experts out there if I should use original NOS pistons which I have or use aftermarket pistons on a 259 rebuild. What is the shelf life on the NOS pistons which are in the original boxes and the best rings to use. They are standard size or would I be better off with new pistons. Thank you, Merle

quote:They are standard size or would I be better off with new pistons. Thank you, Merle [?]
    Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum Merle.
    It is rare anymore for anyone to actually use new Standard size pistons, unless you have a new NOS Block and Piston Assy. missing it's pistons or damaged ones. But, just let the block tell you what size you need to use, have it miked! If it can not handle standard size Pistons your machinist will tell you to buy oversize and you will not be able to use your Std. size set anyway.

Unless your Pistons have been poorly stored, there should be no reason not to use them, they should last forever. Also, older original parts tend to be more correct and accurate than recently produced ones if you have a choice.

Normally you just use the pistons in the old engine when the bore is not worn beyond tolerance or re-bore it and use new oversize Pistons, we have them in Std. .020, .030, .040 and .060.

The Rings I sell are Grant, in Cast Iron or with Chrome Top Ring, you only use Chrome on a new bore like the factory did, but the Iron can be used for either, newly bored or just honed. Chrome always take longer to seat.

Most of us Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com stock all of the other new parts you would need for a rebuild like all of the Valve train parts. [^]

I hope I am understanding you correctly, but the size of Pistons you use, are controlled by the condition of the bore in the Block.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The block is a 1951 232 and was going to bore to the 259 size as I want to keep the original engine in the car that it originally came with. The block has already been sonic tested and checked at the rebuilder. I was concerned about using old nos pistons opposed to the new ones.

Comment

quote:The block is a 1951 232 and was going to bore to the 259 size . . . . The block has already been sonic tested and checked at the rebuilder.
        Just for our information, what cylinder wall thickness did you find after the 3/16" (.1875') overbore?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

In that case, all of your gain will be lost if you do not use 259/289 heads, gaskets and exhaust manifolds.

Only a highly trained judge would notice or care about that.

With the '51-'54 Timing Cover and topside fuel pump, it should pass as a 232. [^]

Wow Merle, you could have saved me a BUNCH of time explaining what to do on a 259 rebuild like this quote says:
          "if I should use original NOS pistons which I have or use aftermarket pistons on a 259 rebuild."
          By telling us you are using a 232 Block! [:0]
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Can you use the 232 connecting rods with 259 pistons?

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Can you use the 232 connecting rods with 259 pistons?
              Sure, all stude. V-8 Rods are the same except R3 304.5 c.i. High Performance Engines.

NOT a CHEVY Dick! Lol!
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My apologies to studerich for not telling you that I was using a 232 block but your response will help others in thinking about doing a engine rebuild. Also forgot to mention that I will be using a pair of 1557570 heads that have already been done with the hardened seats installed also have a set of exhaust manifolds to match. I have a cam guy who has been grinding cams for 40 years and was going to come up with something for me as I will be using the automatic transmission which I'm also have thoughts about and don't know whether to use the original Borg Warner DG or go with the first gear start Borg Warner DG or maybe switch to a flightomatic just don't know yet until I can do some more research and talk to other stude owners for their advice. I was thinking of using the 51 stock 2 barrel manifold or possibly a two carburetor weiand or offenhauser manifold to kind of give it that old school look. The car I'm working with is a 1951 commander starlite coupe which belonged to a good friend of mine and he drove it when in high school in the early 70's he was the second owner of the car and decided to restore it and took it apart in the early 90's he did restore the frame and its componets then lost interest and then lost his storage a couple of years ago when I aquired the car. This was a nice car with no rust and was manufactured at the Los Angeles plant in 1951 and has always been a southern california car. Packard V8 was asking about the wall thickness of the block when I had it sonic tested about a year ago and will ask the rebuilder if he remembers the thickness I do remember at the time he commented how thick it was and would be no problem to bore it to the 259 specs and has been bored to the NOS pistons that I have and are marked studebaker on the inside but then was having second thoughts of using the nos pistons and possibly using new pistons instead. Thanks to all who have responded to my question of using NOS pistons or aftermarket.

Comment

I can answer your question as to using a DG three band Studebaker Automatic Drive Trans. or a Flight-O-Matic, also.

From my experience, no question: find a '56 or '57 short tail FOM, rebuild it if necessary, dial it in to the block, and be DONE with it, you will never regret it! [^]

I am currently trying to find parts for a local Club Member's '54 Comm. DG200, and the Trans. Shop and parts bill is going to be ASTRONOMICAL! [xx(] IF we ever find all the rare hard to find hard parts for it!
                  And I have driven one of these funky things many miles without anything good to say other than they were well designed, but that won't get you down the road! [xx(]
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I mentioned in my previous post that I had the 51 232 block sonic tested about a year ago and was going to get back with packardv8 about the findings. I spoke with the rebuilder today and he does not remember the actual findings but remembers that it was way beyond 400 thousands this was done with the standard bore of the 232 and since has been bored to 259 piston size.

Comment

Working...
                    X