PDA

View Full Version : Super bargain Wagonair update

JDP
03-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Well, got it today and the good news is that it looks as good in person as the picture show here

http://www.vanceblew.biz/4.html

The bad news is, it either needs a flex plate or the rods are about to jump out of the pan. The engine is quite at at high smooth idle, but rattles like crazy at a rough, slow idle. Since the oil pressure is real low at idle, I may do a engine swap. I did drive it a few miles from the hauler.

JDP/Maryland

studegary
03-16-2009, 01:11 PM
This car looks familiar to me. In the 1970s, I was at a friend's garage that worked on a 1963 Daytona Wagonaire that was similar to this. I think that a flex plate was put into it at that time. The one that I remember was originally an R1 with factory A/C and, I believe, bucket seats.
Or it could be that I just remember this Wagonaire from the SNM auction.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

JDP
03-16-2009, 02:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

This car looks familiar to me. In the 1970s, I was at a friend's garage that worked on a 1963 Daytona Wagonaire that was similar to this. I think that a flex plate was put into it at that time. The one that I remember was originally an R1 with factory A/C and, I believe, bucket seats.
Or it could be that I just remember this Wagonaire from the SNM auction.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

This one is has bench seats, no sign that is was a R1, but it was in SNM sale.

JDP/Maryland

bams50
03-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Wow, that's stinky!:( Did the seller say anything about a noise when he sold it to you?

Of course, he has no legal obligation to do anything, but I'd sure call him and press for some kind of consideration. Even if he refuses, he'd get a good case of the verbal red-a** from me

No doubt, even if it needs an engine, you're still alright, but still....[}:)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

[b]"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

gordr
03-16-2009, 04:01 PM
If it's the flex plate, the character of the sound will change a LOT simply putting it in gear. Rod bearings, not so much.

I have a Wagonaire at home with a busted flex plate, and that's how it behaves.

You know, an idea just occurred to me. Now that video hosting services like Youtube are so widely available, why not use them as an adjunct to car diagnostics here. We could compile a "rogues gallery" of typical Studebaker problems for future reference. My little digital camera has a video function that I've never tried. Maybe I should check it out, and try to capture a video of the broken flex plate. In this case, really, it's just the sound you need.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

JDP
03-16-2009, 05:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

Wow, that's stinky!:( Did the seller say anything about a noise when he sold it to you?

Of course, he has no legal obligation to do anything, but I'd sure call him and press for some kind of consideration. Even if he refuses, he'd get a good case of the verbal red-a** from me[B)]

No doubt, even if it needs an engine, you're still alright, but still....[}:)]

Parish, central NY 13131

I don't mind, it's a worth more then twice what I paid even with the bad plate.

JDP/Maryland

StudeRich
03-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Yep, have no fear JDP always buys them RIGHT! :D

That interior alone, would cost more than $3000.00 to get that nice and it would not be original. My guess is somewhere along it's long life it got an NOS interior from South Bend. [^]

JDP
03-16-2009, 05:59 PM
It looks like it restored when parts were around, all the chrome is unpitted and has the factory floor and cargo mats. The front fenders have been replaced and maybe much more. Surprisingly it's has a perfect dash pad. Besides, the shipper put two small dents in the roof that the haulers insurance will probably pay for half the car.:)

JDP/Maryland

bams50
03-16-2009, 06:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by JDP

It looks like it restored when parts were around, all the chrome is unpitted and has the factory floor and cargo mats. The front fenders have been replaced and maybe much more. Surprisingly it's has a perfect dash pad. Besides, the shipper put two small dents in the roof that the haulers insurance will probably pay for half the car.:)

OK, now I'm having SERIOUS non-buyer's remorse:(

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

[b]"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

JDP
03-16-2009, 07:01 PM

quote:Originally posted by JDP

OK, now I'm having SERIOUS non-buyer's remorse:([B)]

How about no sign of any rust in the bottom of the tailgate, seldom seen that nice.

JDP/Maryland

jclary
03-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Looks like a great find. If you have another engine...pop it in and enjoy! However, until you get it properly diagnosed, take it easy on driving. The shoulder of the interstate can be a very lonely place when you're sitting there with a shredded timing gear and hundreds of people whizzing by at 80+mph! (Been there-done that)
A rebuild is much cheaper (and I'm sure you know this) if it's done before the rods exit through the oil pan.

John Clary
Greer, SC
I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
SDC member since 1975

bams50
03-16-2009, 08:12 PM
You know, I found this car roaming around the 'net one night when I was unable to sleep. The first thing I did was tried to determine a way I could part with the money for it; after all, here's my ultimate wagon, in the colors I want, equipped as I wanted. It was only AFTER I decided I couldn't buy it that I posted it on the Forum.

So after a few hours some read the listing and wondered if it was legit. I was skeptical for that price, but hadn't called since I wasn't a buyer; but encouraged others to just pick up the phone. I got FIVE e-mails with questions like, do you think it's legit? Is it worth that? Do you think it's been bondoed? How much do you think it would cost to ship it to xxx? Wonder if that's the original engine? etc. etc.

I told everybody the same thing: Based on the pictures, if you want one and it's still available, buy it now and worry about all that later!

No one did.

So next JP posts that he saw it, called, and bought it. So then I get e-mails saying, da mn, I should have called, Oh sh**, I should have known better, I didn't think anybody would jump on it that fast, etc.

I guess it's the nature of the beast. We all agree with due dilligence, research, thinking things through, etc. But sometimes the situation requires one to move fast! As I tried to tell others: For that money, buy it and see what you get- how wrong could you go?

The good new is, JP will straighten it out, then those of you who were interested have a second chance to own it. The price will be higher, but you'll be buying peace of mind in knowing somebody we know and trust (and knows what they're talking about) has checked it out for you; and that's work quite a lot. Me? If I'd had the disposable money when I found it, the first you all would be hearing about it was when I took pictures of the truck unloading it at my place;)

Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

JDP
03-16-2009, 08:23 PM
quote:
The good new is, JP will straighten it out, then those of you who were interested have a second chance to own it. The price will be higher, but you'll be buying peace of mind in knowing somebody we know and trust (and knows what they're talking about) has checked it out for you; and that's work quite a lot. Me? If I'd had the disposable money when I found it, the first you all would be hearing about it was when I took pictures of the truck unloading it at my place;)

I've figured out the tailgate window issue. The lining on the window channel had balled up jamming it. I stripped it out and will reline them.

JDP/Maryland

studegary
03-17-2009, 01:20 PM
John P. - How about correcting the heading/title? It bothers me to look at it and I know that you know better. Add the "e". I believe that only the originator and webmaster can alter the title.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

rcooper10
03-17-2009, 09:13 PM
You did great. . .even if it needs some work, you got it for a fair price. What's to complain about? On spelling, My Wagonaire rode around for years with STUBEDAKER on the tailgate. It had gotten rear-ended and ended up in an illiterate's body shop. Come to think of it, he wasn't much of a body man either. I'm from Georgia, and in the South the illiterates don't know how to read. When my parents turned it over to me, I replaced the brightwork on the tailgate and corrected the spelling.

Still looking for the one that got away

JDP
04-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Another update. a fellow drove in today to buy the wagon as is, before replacing the flex plate. We spent about a hour looking the car over closer then I ever did. It looks like the car was a rusty Indiana example that had lot of floor welding done then all new sheet metal hung on. The car was bought new by SASCO in 1963 which might explain the new dash, sheet metal and chrome. It then sat in the Studebaker museum for a few years.
As it turned out, the hidden rust concerned him, so I put her back in the garage. I'm 4K in the car, if someone wants it for that, it might be months before I get to it. It runs and drives fine now,the tailgate window is fixed but the flex plate is a issue that will have to be fixed ASAP.

JDP/Maryland

bams50
04-09-2009, 06:02 PM
I was just wondering what was happening with this!

I'm not sure what your buyer was looking for. Even with what you said here I don't see the problem for that price range! Well worth that money, warts and all. Too often I've seen people looking to spend $20K for a nice example of a given model, then waste their time looking for it in $5K cars. Sounds like this might be a version of thathttp://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/confused24.gif

I'd love to have it for that. It's just like I'd want: good color, the exact interior I prefer, auto/PS, even already has A/C! All the hard stuff is done already. I'd pull the engine and do the water jackets and flex plate, and clean and detail everything in the engine bay; then reassemble, charge the A/C, and be ready for summer!http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/drive.gif

Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

JDP
04-09-2009, 06:35 PM

I was just wondering what was happening with this!

I think he wanted what I've seldom seen, a wagon with no visible or hidden rust.

JDP/Maryland

bams50
04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
If that's what he wants, did he think he could find one in that price range? Not realistic.

Maybe it's what my father used to call HSE.

(Hope Springs Eternal;))

Parish, central NY 13131

JDP
04-25-2009, 05:32 PM
The Wagonaire is heading to Switzerland.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300308210691&sspagename=STRK%3AMESOX%3AIT&viewitem=

JDP/Maryland

Roscomacaw
04-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Seems Right. That's where all the money is - although it didn't take much of it to buy this gem.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

Bill Pressler
04-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Congratulations, JDP. Hope seller and buyer are happy!

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
'64 Daytona Hardtop

JDP
04-25-2009, 08:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Congratulations, JDP. Hope seller and buyer are happy!

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
'64 Daytona Hardtop

Well, he was willing to pay a lot more, he'd tossed in two more proxy bids even after he'd led the bidding for most of auction.

JDP/Maryland

JLasvegas
04-25-2009, 09:01 PM
nice score, Looks to be in very good shape

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3529/3219699024_e24950bf7f_m.jpg
1964 Daytona Wagonaire

studeclunker
04-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Beautiful car. Congratulations on a great find. Is that paint Champange Mist?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?