Engine ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine ID

There is some question about the engine of our new '57 President, George. Although it was originally supposed to have a 289, it was brought to our attention that the engine does not appear to be the original one and that this is probably not the case. Can anyone help enlighten us so we can clear up the mystery? Thanks! Sorry for our many questions, but we are starting with square one again with this guy. Without the kindness of our forum members, we probably would not have the courage to take these projects on. You are all great!

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Looks like a 1960 259.

Comment

I think Karl is grinning.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

I think Karl is grinning.
        That's really FUNNY Dave! and ironic!

V486932 is between these two, in our Studebaker V/8 Engine Identification listing under the Tech Tips, Specs and Data Link on the SDC main page.

Starting Serial Number: V-454,701 1960 Lark 60V 259
        AND:
        V-510,401 1961 Lark 61V 259 -Which as Dave said, would make it a '60 259.

It is still possible however that the engine was rebuilt with the original 289 Crankshaft or another, and 289 Pistons, making it the same as a 289! [^]

You can tell by removing a Spark Plug and with a flashlight look for the "Dish" in only the center portion of the Piston, with that one in it's "UPMOST" position. You also can feel the dish in it with a wire or pencil.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Unless the previous owner told them it was a 289, (as it was new) I wouldn't hold my breath that it was rebuilt with 289 guts. Nice thoughtful wish, though. Somehow, they were destined for a 1960 Lark one way or another..[^] They do have a 1959-1960 shop manual. Was there one made that covered 1957 -1960? I have never seen one. Looks like the purchase of the CD '57 & '60 versions, a printer & a big hole punch can make a hard copy for garage use.

Comment

Dave, the reprints are all pretty limited (also CD's) but the Originals, were printed just about yearly, so they did not have as wide a range of years.

As far as Tracy & John getting good info from the sellers about the Engine or anything else, you know how that usually goes. The people fixing up older cars to sell, never know the history back one to three or four owners.

I was being nice by not calling them "flippers", because not everyone goes into it with that in mind.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X