PDA

View Full Version : 62 GT TOP

Doug M
03-13-2009, 09:49 PM
I look at a 62 hawk today for sale it as a vinel top there is rust out under top. A body man said it would be best to replace the metal top if i could find a good one. Does anyone know of one. Doug M

JDP
03-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Best to find another GT Hawk in my opinion.

JDP/Maryland

54-61-62
03-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Trust me, unless you are very attached to said car, or its a very valuable car (probably not if its a 62), don't try repairing the roof. Its not worth it.

buddymander
03-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Post some pics of the rust.

Doug M
03-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks for reply . Thring to see if it was worth buying the motor,tran,brakes and exaust was all rebuilt in past not driven sence. Did not start today had no camra . was comming from funaral wondering on what it was worth? Some rust in drivers floor above rocker.

jimmijim8
03-14-2009, 02:14 AM
Are you sure the body man said {replace the metal roof}? Maybe he meant, replace the vinyl covering. I've never seen a metal roof that needed replaced.
Not lately,but any condition I suppose can be possible.
I had a 63 that had holes rusted thru the roof underneath the sail panel aluminum trim caused by water seeping past the rear 1/4 window roof stainless and cat whisker channel assembly. {huh? you say}You might have to read the description more slowly and use your imagination. Can you post a photo? I'd like to see the rest of the car. jimmijim {opinions are like arsholes, everybody's got one}

DEEPNHOCK
03-14-2009, 05:51 AM
We are cutting the entire top off a '62 GT Hawk in Savannah on Sunday.. You can have it if you want it....(If Pat will part with it)
It has rust at the base of the two rear pillars, but is otherwise decent...
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Doug M

I look at a 62 hawk today for sale it as a vinel top there is rust out under top. A body man said it would be best to replace the metal top if i could find a good one. Does anyone know of one. Doug M

Doug M
03-14-2009, 07:02 AM
Yes the roof skin he said would be easer then patching each hole.
Thanks jeff I have not got car yet trying to deside if it is worth buying and at what price. Pat emiled me last night.I will get back with you later. My brother lives in Savanna . Doug M

52-fan
03-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Did any 62s come with vinyl roofs? I thought they came later.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s186/52-fan/StudebakersofArkansas2-1.jpg
1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
"I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

bams50
03-14-2009, 07:33 AM
It's really not that hard for someone with knowledge to change a top, or even just the skin. Depends mostly on the area of the joint.

How about more info and pictures?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

N8N
03-14-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't believe that any '62 came with a factory vinyl roof, that could easily be part of the problem. I would not recommend reinstalling one.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

JDP
03-14-2009, 08:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

It's really not that hard for someone with knowledge to change a top, or even just the skin. Depends mostly on the area of the joint.

How about more info and pictures?

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (

Not that hard, but budget 2-3K for the job before paint. The headliner and glass installation alone will cost you a grand.

JDP/Maryland

bams50
03-14-2009, 09:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by JDP

Not that hard, but budget 2-3K for the job before paint. The headliner and glass installation alone will cost you a grand.

You might be right. Probably depends on area. But I wasn't thinking anywhere near that. Here's what I thought:

1. Owner pulls seats/carpet/headliner, front and rear glass, trim in affected area. Mask off dash, a pad first, then a durable cover.

2. Deliver to shop with replacement roof. Can be R&Red in 5 hours, give or take, depending on shop/tech competence.

3. Owner picks up car, installs trim/headliner/glass, or hire above done. New headliner about $200 or so?

4. Owner installs seats and carpet. Paint top or hire it done; or, vinyl top needs no paint under.

Certainly there are plenty of variables, the biggest being the owner's ability/willingness to do most of the work. If one drives the complete car in and picks it up ready to enjoy, that can run into considerable money; but this is one of those jobs where the majority of the work requires more effort than skill.

In the end, the overriding decider will be the condition of the rest of the car, and price for same. Of course, pictures of the rust would be helpful- it may actually be repairable without all the above.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

sweetolbob
03-14-2009, 09:26 AM
I agree, post pictures.

The body shop knows it's much less expensive to replace the top than repair a couple of bad areas.

But 18 ga sheet is about $44/ 4x8 sheet and an owner with a MIG/TIG could replace a lot of metal cheap. Prep would be about the same.

The killer would be if the header over the windshield was badly rusted. Then the repair becomes more difficult but not impossible.

If you try it yourself, what's the down side. You can always replace the roof as you initially planned.

And (Ducking under desk)[:o)][:o)], It would be a good time for a gentleman's chop.[^]

Bob

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/sweetolbob/P1000416.jpg?t=1227109182

bams50
03-14-2009, 09:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Are you sure the body man said {replace the metal roof}? Maybe he meant, replace the vinyl covering. I've never seen a metal roof that needed replaced.

Jim- I found out that this is the bugaboo of CA cars.

I was told for years how desirable it was to pursue CA cars- they're so rust free. What I didn't realize with all this rhetoric was that while there may be less lower rust, chances are it will have plenty of upper rust, like tops of doors... and the ROOF[}:)] MUCH harder to fix than floors and fenders[xx(] And as a bonus, the sun totally fries interiors and weather strip; so there's the added benefit of water leaking in and rusting the floors anyway:( Top that off with the seller who frequently underestimates/is not aware of the rust extent, and CA cars, while they certainly can be much more solid, are frequently not all they're cracked up to be

Maybe the subject car is from CA...

Parish, central NY 13131

[b]"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

jlmccuan
03-14-2009, 10:08 AM
I guess I kind of go to the basics. Has the bodyman who told you that seen the car in question?

Jim
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/jlmccuan/Avanti/AvantiSignature.jpghttp://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/jlmccuan/Avanti/AvantiSigB.jpghttp://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/jlmccuan/Avanti/Logo/RabidSnailSignature.jpg
_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing

Chucks Stude
03-14-2009, 10:18 AM
You might contact Bob Helm. He is in Texas, and is parting out a GT. His number is 972-843-3402, after 6:00 PM Central time.

studegary
03-14-2009, 02:11 PM
No 1962 or 1963 Hawks came with a vinyl top. Are you sure that it has a conventional vinyl top? It used to be quite common to apply, brush or spray, a material that looked like a vinyl top.
If you have to pay a shop to do all of the work, you are better off finding a better car to start with.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

StudeDave57
03-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Jim- I found out that this is the bugaboo of CA cars.
I was told for years how desirable it was to pursue CA cars- they're so rust free. What I didn't realize with all this rhetoric was that while there may be less lower rust, chances are it will have plenty of upper rust, like tops of doors... and the ROOF [}:)] MUCH harder to fix than floors and fenders [xx(] Robert (Bob) Andrews
Bob- you left out one VERY IMPORTANT word here...

"Costal"

You are talking about cars that have spent most (or all) of their life on the Coast. Cars that lived their life in other parts of the State are a completely different story. Most folks wouldn't believe how rust free they are...

And many are STILL out there waiting to be found!!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]
Ask the man who owns one...
(or two or three!!!)

bams50
03-14-2009, 02:48 PM
You're right, Dave. That's an important distinction to make- although not an absolute.

Only problem is knowing where the car spent most of it's life. For example, a coastal car might have been there 40 years and moved inland a year ago; then you're in the same boat:( Sometimes you don't know till it's delivered... BTDT[V]

Same thing's true with FL coastal cars.

Parish, central NY 13131

S2DSteve
03-14-2009, 03:09 PM
One thing to consider with rust caused by a vinyl top-what you see MAY be all you get. Normally rust starts inside and works out. By time it pokes through there's massive rust inside. I have a '60 Hawk with rust caused by an aftermarket vinyl top, including one hole. When we cut out a small section around the hole we found the metal underneath still sound, so after installing a patch panel, we were able to repair all the rest from the outside.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u57/S2DSteve/Family12-1-2.jpg
Steve Hudson
The Dalles, Oregon
1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
1960 Hawk (future project?)

Doug M
03-14-2009, 09:28 PM
I will try to answer some questons. Yes vinyl top I have been around for 56 years,have seenvinyltops before.Have not got pictures yet.I have top comming from Jeff Rice & Pat from Savanna. Have not gotten Hawk yet,Just the skin will be changed or patch as needed. I will do most of the work.The headliner and carpet needs to be changed allredy
Doug M

Warren Webb
03-15-2009, 07:08 AM
I had my vinyl top replaced after I painted my 66 Daytona since it came with the vinyl top from the factory. I had removed all traces of rust from the top before painting the car with acrylic laquer (a mistake) in 1989. I had been noticing some rust bubbles from under the top & finally removed the vinyl a couple years ago to find that the rust was really bad! Huge holes, especially in the front header area. I would have expected this had I not painted under the top. Back in the day, automakers such as GM, didnt paint the roof if the car was to be equipped with a vinyl top, to save a few pennies. Today, I would recommend painting the top first with a product such as POR 15 first on the area to be covered, so as to have a solid fountation. As an added protection, spray the underneath area too, since the headliner will be out. You may also, after the second coat, while its still damp, install some sound deadner. The POR 15 dries rock hard & makes an exceLLent adhesive.

60 Lark convertible
61 Champ
62 Daytona convertible
63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
63 Avanti (2)
66 Daytona Sport Sedan

JDP
03-15-2009, 06:48 PM

quote:Originally posted by JDP

You might be right. Probably depends on area. But I wasn't thinking anywhere near that. Here's what I thought:

1. Owner pulls seats/carpet/headliner, front and rear glass, trim in affected area. Mask off dash, a pad first, then a durable cover.

Add $150 for new gaskets, another $100 or so if you have someone install the glass.

2. Deliver to shop with replacement roof. Can be R&Red in 5 hours, give or take, depending on shop/tech competence.

3. Owner picks up car, installs trim/headliner/glass, or hire above done. New headliner about $200 or so?

$200 or so for headliner and windlace, $400 to install. $200 or so for just the roof weatherstrip, $500 for the entire car.

4. Owner installs seats and carpet. Paint top or hare it done; or, vinyl top needs no paint under.
Carpet $275 or so unless you cah reuse the old.

Certainly there are plenty of variables, the biggest being the owner's ability/willingness to do most of the work. If one drives the complete car in and picks it up ready to enjoy, that can run into considerable money; but this is one of those jobs where the majority of the work requires more effort than skill.

In the end, the overriding decider will be the condition of the rest of the car, and price for same. Of course, pictures of the rust would be helpful- it may actually be repairable without all the above.

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

Bams is a bit more optimistic then I am, but if you did everything yourself, I guess it could be done for less, just be careful.

JDP/Maryland

DEEPNHOCK
03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/43298/2480962150038087468S600x600Q85.jpg

Top is off and waiting for you.....
Jeff[8D]

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/1937CEBearfootingArtwithLabelgif-1.jpghttp://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/SDClogo4forum.jpghttp://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/StudebakerTruckFarmerStickerA-1.jpghttp://www.racingstudebakers.com/avatar_01.jpghttp://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/GatorDadBigjpg-1-1.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock