Avanti Battery & Alternator Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Battery & Alternator Options

My Avanti has the original 40 amp Prestolite Alternator and the Series 3EE battery. These batteries are sold as tractor batteries now and most of them are 380~400 CCA rated. There may be one out there near 500 CCA available but not necessarily at local stores. If I go to a vented trunk battery case which can hold a series 24 battery I can have something in 600~800 CCA rating which would handle more accessories like a hidden trunk stereo system. Will the 40 amp Prestolite be enought alternator? Should I switch to a GM one wire alternator and go to a larger amperage, if so how much higher.

Thanks, John

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

John,

I wouldn't rush to change things. How big a stereo system are you talking (watts)? Do you have problems running out of battery reserve when starting? The 40 amp alternator and 3EE may be adequate.

I have seen many conversions to bigger alternators. Unfortunately, many folks forget that the wiring is sized for about 30 amps. This can cause damage to the wiring harness and/or the ammeter. The question of 3-wire vs 1-wire alternators has been discussed here several times. Use the "Search" function to find those threads. I prefer the Mopar 3-wire, but there appears to be a Honda interchange that works well.

If you do opt for a trunk mounted battery (not like there's a lot of spare room in the trunk, especially with the stereo) it is essential to run heavy cables to the solenoid and to the block. Standard battery cables will cause too much voltage drop when you are cranking.

Jim Bradley
    Lewistown PA
    '78 Avanti II
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Comment

Jim,

I was thinking about something with a sound system that's about a 200W system. My son's 2005 Dodge Neox SXT-SE came with factory upgrade Kicker sytem with 200W amp, Kicker bass boast in trunk and 8 speakers, 6 CD changer & in-dash unit.

sigpic
      John
      63R-2386

Comment

Can't say I know anything about radio wattage and amps but if I recall (200w/12v = 16.7 amps). Doesn't sound like a killer for a 40 amp system.

Bob

Comment

The watt output rating is typically "peak" or maximum. The steady-state would be significantly less, unless you're into killing the cilia in your ears. I think that the "stock" battery/alternator would be fine. Try it, and if you come up short, replace the alternator with a 60-70 amp unit. Also, with the Avanti, remember that everything electrical needs a separate ground wire run since the body provides no ground. I never counted on the frame as a good ground either, as that current needs to pass through a ground strap to the motor where the battery negative is connected.

As far as the trunk mount, there is another avenue with the battery. Many years ago, when my '63 Avanti was my daily driver, I spliced a '64 fender apron into the left side. This allowed the use of a group 24 battery. It did require a bit of fiberglass work and moving the hood prop to the right side. The finished product looked very original, though.

Jim Bradley
          Lewistown PA
          '78 Avanti II
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

When I owned my '63 Avanti, I put a Gp. 24 battery in the trunk in a marine battery box, and ran heavy welding cable (maybe 00?) all the way to the front for both positive and negative. Never gave any trouble. And it gets a a big hunk of weight off the front end, and more importantly, off the fender apron, which is scarcely able to support it at the best of times.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Researching the 3EE battery online they weigh about 42~45 lbs and are rated around 400 CCA. Putting this weight in the trunk on passenger side would take weight off front. It would also maybe free up space where current battery is so that I could install a radiator expansion tank in the current battery spot. I am removing original surge tank as a Sanden type AC compressor will go in same postion on engine so that I can have an air conditioned supercharged Avanti.

Anyone with a suggestion of best spot in trunk (passenger side) to install a sealed battery box please respond and let me know where you put yours or better yet send a picture.

Thanks, John

sigpic
              John
              63R-2386

Comment

Has anyone put an aluminum expansion fill tank where old 3EE battery goes. The 3EE battery is 19-1/8" long by 4-1/2" wide and 8-1/2" tall. If there is not some after market tank available, I guess a raditor shop could custom build a tank with fill neck for radiator cap and inlet and outlet hose connections.

sigpic
                John
                63R-2386

Comment

I updated the pictures.

This is an alt option .. I am using a "Honda" size battery on my '63
                  Avanti. Its thin like the factory one, but half the length. CCA was
                  a little higher and so was the reserve.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

When the battery is taken from the front and put in the rear, it also puts weight over the driving axles, kinda like a permanent sand weenie. It should aid in traction to the rear, particularly if it's placed directly over the axle.
                    Those second set of lights in my signature are 100 watts a lamp. It's being run off of a 45 amp Motorola alternator, and is run on a circuit with larger wire separate from the car. I think from the calculation I did for the lamps, I think it was around 600 watts was the number before something bad happened to the alternator. I did this by multiplying 13.5 X 45. With this case it might be 13.5 X 40, which came out to 540. For me this is a rough estimate of what's available, so don't quote me on it . Keep in mind not only is the stereo going, the lights might be on, the heater motor might be running, and the windshield wipers may be working, so moderation might be key. If you want the 1000 watt sound that resembles the dB rating from a 747 you might need to change the alternator and upgrade the wiring. I've known more than a few folks that would have to do that when they went that route, believe me .

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                    [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Its a group 51 battery.

530 cranking amps
                      435 cold cranking amps

Tom
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

If the charging system was good enough for a state-of-the-art automobile in 1963, it should be good enough for it now IMHO. A 3EE battery may not have as much punch as the batteries we see today on new cars; but the Avanti wasn't overloaded with creature comforts.

I keep my car as factory stock as possible.

========================
                        63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
                        Martinez, CA

Comment

Working...
                        X