Are These For Real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are These For Real?

It seems like there was an earlier thread about this dealer. Some of these prices seem almost too good to be true or am I just out of the loop? Several Studes listed.

Tim Painter-Custom '53 Commander Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

I don't think I'd question those prices overall, Tim.

Click on several of the links and give the photos time to load. Most of the cars are only so-so, and some are even worse. I see no prices to be scared of as being "too good," just on a cursory examination.

For example, check out the white 1957 Silver Hawk for $9,750. Doesn't look too bad until you start looking close: There's obviously some mold on the upholstery...and no visible weatherstrip around the driver door opening, so it must leak and rattle like mad!

And worst of all, only a bungee cord for a battery hold-down![:0][xx(][:0][V] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It looks legit, but I can't tell. But they do have one of my dream cars. I would love that Kaiser Traveler, with the fold down back seat that converts to a loading bed.

I also like that 64 Commander, and I have always had a small soft spot for Morris Minors.

Their prices are ok at best, and to me seem a bit high across the board. Then again, perhaps that is just the CASO in me.

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

Sorry to deviate the thread abit, but Mr.Palma, where did the battery hold down joke come to being?

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

quote:Originally posted by silverhawk

Sorry to deviate the thread abit, but Mr.Palma, where did the battery hold down joke come to being?

Dylan Wills
          We all have to be famous for something, Dylan. It's a pet peeve of mine when a car, especially a nice one, has a missing battery hold-down.

[My own laziness, just moving a car on my own property, allowed a battery to fall into the fan on my '64 Daytona hardtop many years ago, damaging the battery. Nothing terminal, you understand (a little play on words, there; battery...terminal...get it?)]

Anyway, before long, I'd comment on a car in photos on the forum being discussed if it didn't have a battery hold-down. Soon, members picked up on how many cars have missing battery hold-downs, and would post immediately if one was missing.

Predictably, one or two members thought it got out of hand and posted words to the effect of, "enough with the missing battery hold-downs, already!" and it tapered off.

...but only for awhile. Those things have a sinister way of resurfacing. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Nice list of cars, and prices a person can live with, looks like the place to go if someone looking for an older car any car....Bob Peteson
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

I, too missed the whole battery hold down thing. Thanks for clearing that up.

Story time:

Was driving my 66 Bel air down a busy street, a thoroughfare, if you will, with stores all over the place. I quick-turned into a driveway and my car went stone dead[:0]. Radio stopped, gauges stopped, everything stopped. I got out and looked under the hood, sure enough, the lack of a battery hold down had finally taken its toll. The turn had wrenched the negative cable ground clean through. (this was obviously a long time coming) Luckily, there was a parts house three blocks up the street with the necessary tools and parts go get me on the road. While I was working on my car in the parking area, some kids came up to me and offered me 50 bucks for the car. (she is a rusty four door, but not that bad!) I told them the 283 was worth more than that and they just rolled their eyes and said "In your dreams!" Kids these days...

BTW, I now have a perfectly good bungee cord for a battery hold down in that car!

Okay, now I return you to the regularly scheduled thread about this classic car site!

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

They look pretty pricey to me, but I guess you have consider their true ebay market value (selling values) are HALF of those Dealer Retail prices posted, so he has to make a profit somehow.

i.e. a very nice looking '64 Commander 4 dr. but not perfect, and $6950.00?

They definitely do have a great selection of older cars though.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Stay away, the guys a lil shady, or a lot depending on who you talk to (its about 45 minutes from here),

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                  http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Cool website Tinman! I like that AIR POWERED Rear Hub Puller! []
                    Does the drum come off with one or two raps or what?

Did that '63 Lark V-8 with all that really GRAY sludge in the valley, have water and or antifreeze in the oil?

It seams at bit extreme to be just lead or oil additives.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When I saw that thread title I thought it was about Hooters again[)]

BOY, that place does have quite an inventory! I'd love to just go and wander around with my camera[]

That Orange metallic 77 GP is one of my dream cars! I had plenty of them back in the day, and will always love the 73-77s... especially that one, in my favorite color![:X]

Wonder how that would look on a 62 Daytona, or Wagonaire...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

When I saw that thread title I thought it was about Hooters again[)]

BOY, that place does have quite an inventory! I'd love to just go and wander around with my camera[]

That Orange metallic 77 GP is one of my dream cars! I had plenty of them back in the day, and will always love the 73-77s... especially that one, in my favorite color![:X]

Wonder how that would look on a 62 Daytona, or Wagonaire...

Robert (Bob) Andrews
                        I'm glad they have a smiley for how that burnt orange metallic would look on a 1962 Daytona or Wagonaire, Bob: [xx(]

However, I agree it looked nice on those GP's.[8D] The '73-'77 GPs certainly were smooth boats, weren't they?

In general, Bob, what did you think about the individual asking prices on units in that dealer's inventory? BP

Comment

I highly suggest you examine any car in person before you buy it. He has some nice cars and some that look nicer than they are. He started out selling cars from his farm around 15-20 years ago and has grown it in to a nice operation.

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                          1961 Hawk
                          1964 Convertable
                          1967 Avanti
                          1961 Lark 2 door
                          1950 Commander Starlight

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                          1961 Hawk 4-speed
                          1967 Avanti
                          1961 Lark 2 door
                          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I used to have to drive up and down I-55 for my job. I have stopped by this dealer many times. A lot of his cars are reasonable. Many are a little better than parts cars. I would check out the cars in question in person or have someone you trust check them out. His lot was always a neat place to stop and break up the drive up or down Illinois.

Gary Sanders
                            Nixa, MO
                            President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                            Gary Sanders
                            Nixa, MO

Comment

I was there a coupla times in 2000. The only thing that impressed me was the exhorbitant prices. Whenever I saw something that was halfway reasonable, it was a rustbucket underneath.

Comment

Working...
                              X