Full flow or ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full flow or ??

I saw this engine while browsing eBay,guy says he was told it was out of a 58 Golden Hawk..

Is it a full flow (63 or later I think)or is it some sort of aftermarket job ? Maybe it isnt a Stude engine but Packard ?

It has made me curious

That is a 1958 289 engine by that engine number. Not a full flow, though. Could have been from a Hawk, or President, etc.

Comment

Supercharged engines used in the golden hawks in 57-58 and also in the 57 Packard Clippers use numbers starting with PL and PS
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

Supercharged engines used in the golden hawks in 57-58 and also in the 57 Packard Clippers use numbers starting with PL and PS
        How about PS for GH, and LS for Packard, Bob. [?]

And P64247 could still be as Barnlark (Dave) said, from a Hawk, Silver that is.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have probably got this all wrong..what made me ask was the oil filter, I thought that was why they are called full flow and I thought that was some point in '63 on...

Comment

Full Flow blocks had a spin on filter, but it screwed onto the bottom, passenger side of the block, whereas earlier spin on filters (partial flow blocks) screwed onto the topside somewhere.

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ISpy

I have probably got this all wrong..what made me ask was the oil filter, I thought that was why they are called full flow and I thought that was some point in '63 on...
              Blocks with the full flow oil filter system were introduced in the mid '62 model year.

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
              May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
              http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

Some full flow blocks especially in mid to late '62 trucks like my 7E7 had a cast and machined block off plate bolted to the full flow filer mount and the partial flow filter mounted up front.

3E38
                4E2
                4E28
                5E13
                7E7
                8E7
                8E12
                8E28

59 Lark
                etc

Comment

Working...