The end is near...possibly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end is near...possibly!

Although it may seem like we have dropped off the face of the earth, we have been busy working and looking for the next Smith Studebaker. It didn't help that we were almost entirely open in terms of years and models. With Craigslist, eBay, and leads from fellow SDC members, we have even traveled a little bit here and there to take a look at the prospects. We think we have finally found THE ONE. Tomorrow morning, John, Tracy, and the kids are heading off (trailer in tow) to look at another Studebaker, this time in southern California. If all goes well (hey, everyone thinks their car is the best and we have learned that Studes are quite photogenic) we will be picking up our new "family member" on Friday morning. Although we are keeping the year and model a secret for now (John's a bit on the superstitious side ), we thought we'd share our next adventure with you all. As Paul Harvey would have said, stay tuned for "The rest of the story!" (Tracy's already thinking of names...)

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Have you seen the 58 Packard Wagon on ebay? Perfect car to finish !!!! Perfect car for the family !!!! Perfect investment !!!! Perfect time to buy !!!!

57 & 58 Packards
    62 Daytona
    63 R2 Lark

Comment

Unfortunately...not perfect for our budget! We agree completely, though...it's awesome!

John and Tracy Smith
      Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Comment

John and Tracy, you really should have given the supercharged 57 Packard sedan more thought it really was nice car you could have flown in and driven it home, just shipped it out yesterday to Elkhart Ks.one lucky guy getting it....Bob
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Can't wait to see it. Good idea not to jinx it, John! We can wait. Have a safe trip. [^]

Comment

Drive safe on the road trip and good luck with the new car!

Comment

Great news, been wondering what the status was.
              Finding and making the purchase is half the fun. I'm glad to see that the whole family is involved. Some of my greatest memories shared with my dad are of finding and dragging junk home.
              Russ
              quote:Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

Although it may seem like we have dropped off the face of the earth, we have been busy working and looking for the next Smith Studebaker. It didn't help that we were almost entirely open in terms of years and models. With Craigslist, eBay, and leads from fellow SDC members, we have even traveled a little bit here and there to take a look at the prospects. We think we have finally found THE ONE. Tomorrow morning, John, Tracy, and the kids are heading off (trailer in tow) to look at another Studebaker, this time in southern California. If all goes well (hey, everyone thinks their car is the best and we have learned that Studes are quite photogenic) we will be picking up our new "family member" on Friday morning. Although we are keeping the year and model a secret for now (John's a bit on the superstitious side ), we thought we'd share our next adventure with you all. As Paul Harvey would have said, stay tuned for "The rest of the story!" (Tracy's already thinking of names...)

John and Tracy Smith
              Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
              57 SH (project)
              60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
              57 SH (project)
              60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Great! I cannot wait to see what gem you have found!

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

Cool, I hope it goes well!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                  Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                  1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Just a quick update from the road. We were able to go look at the car this afternoon instead of tomorrow morning. While it was a little rougher than described and as seen in the photos, it runs well and looks to be within our ability range. We went ahead with the purchase and got him loaded up on the trailer. We're heading back home via San Diego to meet StudeDave, just one of the many people who helped us in our search. Looking forward to sharing pictures of our new '57 President when we return!

John and Tracy Smith
                    Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Comment

Good deal Tracy and John, glad to hear it worked out. I am glad Dave was able to help all he could. Enjoy your visit, and don't let Dave feed you too much Pizza, Pizza!

Another '57 Sedan/Wagon for StudeDave57's registry! [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith
                        ......"it was a little rougher than described and as seen in the photos"

I, maybe, read a little not 100% happy in that sentence. I know it's a long way to drive, but you've done that before and passed until you really found what you wanted. I tended to think to myself (is this going to really bug me soon after I get it home, or not?) when I was really too excited about a car, but did an impulse buy check in my head. I hope you didn't go through with it out of pure exhaustion. [?] Sometimes a cheap flight is the way to go. Nobody knows what you expect from a purchase like your own eyes. Did you at least talk him down, even though he had a lot into it?
                        I hope it works out better than expected from here on out and it's what you can truly see yourself safely in this summer! [8D]

Comment

I'm guessing its the 2 door that was posted on their web page?

If so,...even if it is a little rougher the color and style seems to suit their personality's (as far as one can attain from the forum). I would hope that after what they went through with Karl that this President, (albeit rougher than expected), is in better overall shape. Don't worry Smiths we're pulling for ya.

Then again they didn't say what area was "rougher".[B)]

ChopStu
                          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Sounds cool, can't wait to see the pics!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
                            Dylan Wills
                            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                            1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                            1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

One of my first Studes was a nice, super solid 57 President 2 dr. I regret selling it and would love to find another 56 or 57 2 dr president, but good ones are hard to find. You are lucky to have found one.
                              People would come up to me and ask what is was & I would always tell them that it was a Lada- built iin the Sov Union back in the 60's...

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Working...
                              X