This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandpa's Supercharged Packard 1959 Lark

My Grandfather had a 59 Lark built for him by the Studebaker engineering department back in 1959. His had a plaque on the dash that stated something like this, "This 59 Lark was built for David Wieduwelt #37 out of 50".

Has anyone heard of these 50 models built or have any info on any still around. His had a supercharged Packard with a 3 speed column shift w/ overdrive. He lived in Illinois at the time.

quote:Originally posted by JBrotor
    Has anyone heard of these 50 models built or have any info on any still around.
    I haven't heard of these. You would think since 50 were supposedly built that at least one would have surfaced by now. It would be a pretty neat car!

Studebaker built supercharged engines in '57, '58, '63, and '64. They were all 289 CID. No supercharged engines in '59..in fact, no 289 CID engine in '59.

It would be great if you had a serial number (off an old title or registration?) that would enable you to get the production order from the Studebaker National Museum.

Good luck in your search.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I haven't heard of these. You would think since 50 were supposedly built that at least one would have surfaced by now. It would be a pretty neat car!

Studebaker built supercharged engines in '57, '58, '63, and '64. They were all 289 CID. No supercharged engines in '59..in fact, no 289 CID engine in '59.

It would be great if you had a serial number (off an old title or registration?) that would enable you to get the production order from the Studebaker National Museum.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA
        Thanks, I will propably need. These were built for a select few people hand picked from Studebaker.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA
          Thanks, I will propably need. These were built for a select few people hand picked from Studebaker.

Comment

I've heard of a few very limited production models like the supercharged Champ pickups, and 57 cop cars but never a Lark. If 50 such models were built with a blower, we'd surely have some documentation.
            Perhaps the supercharger was added later to some kind of 50 car promotion that has been lost to history. We have a few experts on here that might know something.

JDP
            Arnold Md.
            Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
            63 Avanti R1
            63 Daytona convert
            63 Lark 2 door
            62 Lark 2 door
            60 Hawk
            59 3E truck
            52 Starlight
            52 Starliner
            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I've heard of a few very limited production models like the supercharged Champ pickups, and 57 cop cars but never a Lark. If 50 such models were built with a blower, we'd surely have some documentation.
              Perhaps the supercharger was added later to some kind of 50 car promotion that has been lost to history. We have a few experts on here that might know something.

JDP
              Arnold Md.
              Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
              63 Avanti R1
              63 Daytona convert
              63 Lark 2 door
              62 Lark 2 door
              60 Hawk
              59 3E truck
              52 Starlight
              52 Starliner
              51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

JBroter,

How long have you been looking for this car or evidence of it? If not long, let me explain to you that the Studebaker Driver's Club has been around since before the demise of Studebaker. We've had documentation of every thing that the company built - even one off editions - until the last day of auto production and even after that. There's been NO mention of these "Special Larks" that I've heard of and I can't fathom a scenario wherein one of the conditions for ownership would be to keep silent about it. 50 Larks aren't many against the total built, but at least ONE or the lore of these "special edition" Larks would've kept it's head above water after all these years.
                Each years offerings have been analysed model for model - first to last and the production orders exist for each and every car they built and sold. Not once has mention been made of any 59 (or 60 for that matter) Larks specially fitted with hi-performance options.
                Look back at recent topics here. We've just seen the re-emergence of a specially modified 59 Lark that's been known about since it was built. This wasn't built for some one, but rather as a testbed for a proposed engine that never came to be. We know of this car, we've known about another test Lark that fitted with a diesel engine as well as a 60 Lark station wagon that was the 100,000 Lark to be built with special, gold-plated trim. That's 3 one-off Larks that we've known about for years and still exist today.
                There were '58 Golden Hawks that may have been built with a plaque on the dash. I can't find mention of it in a quick search. They could have been 3-spd O/D as well. All 58 Golden Hawks were supercharged. Studebaker DID use those "Built for ........." dash plaques on '61 Hawks and some GT Hawks as well, I believe. Even could have been installed by a dealer to make a customer feel special. Any jewelry shop can engrave a brass plaque to suit.
                Dig thru Grampa's desk drawers and find a registration or some paper with a serial number on it. Then go to the Studebaker museum's website and order the production order for THAT particular car. Exactly HOW it was equipped will be spelled out on that order.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

JBroter,

How long have you been looking for this car or evidence of it? If not long, let me explain to you that the Studebaker Driver's Club has been around since before the demise of Studebaker. We've had documentation of every thing that the company built - even one off editions - until the last day of auto production and even after that. There's been NO mention of these "Special Larks" that I've heard of and I can't fathom a scenario wherein one of the conditions for ownership would be to keep silent about it. 50 Larks aren't many against the total built, but at least ONE or the lore of these "special edition" Larks would've kept it's head above water after all these years.
                  Each years offerings have been analysed model for model - first to last and the production orders exist for each and every car they built and sold. Not once has mention been made of any 59 (or 60 for that matter) Larks specially fitted with hi-performance options.
                  Look back at recent topics here. We've just seen the re-emergence of a specially modified 59 Lark that's been known about since it was built. This wasn't built for some one, but rather as a testbed for a proposed engine that never came to be. We know of this car, we've known about another test Lark that fitted with a diesel engine as well as a 60 Lark station wagon that was the 100,000 Lark to be built with special, gold-plated trim. That's 3 one-off Larks that we've known about for years and still exist today.
                  There were '58 Golden Hawks that may have been built with a plaque on the dash. I can't find mention of it in a quick search. They could have been 3-spd O/D as well. All 58 Golden Hawks were supercharged. Studebaker DID use those "Built for ........." dash plaques on '61 Hawks and some GT Hawks as well, I believe. Even could have been installed by a dealer to make a customer feel special. Any jewelry shop can engrave a brass plaque to suit.
                  Dig thru Grampa's desk drawers and find a registration or some paper with a serial number on it. Then go to the Studebaker museum's website and order the production order for THAT particular car. Exactly HOW it was equipped will be spelled out on that order.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs,

Thank you for your response, I am trying to get his old film of the car. I have seen it once and it brought chills to see my Grandpa 18 yrs old with his Lark. I will talk to him tonight to try and get some more details to help narrow my search.

Comment

Mr. Biggs,

Thank you for your response, I am trying to get his old film of the car. I have seen it once and it brought chills to see my Grandpa 18 yrs old with his Lark. I will talk to him tonight to try and get some more details to help narrow my search.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Studebaker custom built that Lark. Over the years, Studebaker did a lot of special orders for customers. Try that today with any of the makes being sold in the good old U.S of A. It'll be like walking into a brick wall. Most of the car builders of today have a take it or leave it attitude. They're too busy selling cars to even paint a special color, even for a cost premium.
                        My 2 cents.
                        Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Studebaker custom built that Lark. Over the years, Studebaker did a lot of special orders for customers. Try that today with any of the makes being sold in the good old U.S of A. It'll be like walking into a brick wall. Most of the car builders of today have a take it or leave it attitude. They're too busy selling cars to even paint a special color, even for a cost premium.
                          My 2 cents.
                          Rog

Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I would be surprised since the 57-58 blower will not clear the hood for one thing. It could be done, but we would know if they did one, certainly 50.

JDP
                            Arnold Md.
                            Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
                            63 Avanti R1
                            63 Daytona convert
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            62 Lark 2 door
                            60 Hawk
                            59 3E truck
                            52 Starlight
                            52 Starliner
                            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I would be surprised since the 57-58 blower will not clear the hood for one thing. It could be done, but we would know if they did one, certainly 50.

JDP
                              Arnold Md.
                              Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
                              63 Avanti R1
                              63 Daytona convert
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              62 Lark 2 door
                              60 Hawk