Big trouble logging on- Success!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big trouble logging on- Success!!

At times I cannot log on or refresh a page on the Forum. Sometimes it takes several tries! The URL will show up in the address window, but it will turn a little and then just show a blank page; or will show the "not reponding" or "not available" page. When it happens, I try other browsers, including my iPhone; none of them work. All will work with any other website, though.

It happens in stretches; seems like maybe during busier times. Worst seems to be mid-afternoon. Just now it took about a dozen tries to refresh the General Discussion page. Seems to be getting worse in recent days.

Anyone else?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I was having probelems of not even getting on the forum, but after a defrag on my computer it seems to be a little better. Thats the probelems I have had, not like yours though.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Me, too, Bob. It's not rare, sometimes I go an entire day without it happening, but never two days in a row. And sometimes it happens a number of times in a row, so I just forget about trying to get on for a few hours. What happens more often than not being able to get on the website, is returning to a page using the 'back' button and getting timed out or it just takes more than an actual minute just to return to the previous page. With ALL due respect to Mr. Shaw, I think it must be the quality/size of the server. I DO NOT know what his particular responsibilities are in this aspect, so I am NOT aiming any of this comment to him. And I know just enough about computers to know that a computer that 'just barely' has enough memory to handle a common amount of traffic, will not handle any more than that amount. So, maybe we need a larger server.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I had that problem earlier today trying to post a reply. It took probably ten minutes for the post to go and at one point during that gave me a "cannot access the internet" message. I also refreshed several times with no response.

Terry Godkin
        Surrey, British Columbia

Comment

Are all of you using Microsoft Internet Explorer?
          Either that or it's a local cable or cable server problem.

Maybe they are the ones with the problem. Firefox has worked fine all the time. [^]
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ya I've been having the same troubles lately,then depression sets in.

Joseph R. Zeiger
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

It took me finishing here and going to another website to make me remember this. It can't be ALL of us using the same browser CUZ when I (or maybe even we) go to other websites this slowness doesn't occur.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Are all of you using Microsoft Internet Explorer?
                Either that or it's a local cable or cable server problem.

Maybe they are the ones with the problem. Firefox has worked fine all the time. [^]
                Rich, do my posts show up on your computer? This is the umpteenth time you've asked a question clearly answered in a previous post![B)][)]

Again- It's the same problem with several different browsers. I use MSN, but when this happens I try IE and Mozilla; and I also try the iPhone, which uses Safari. All act the same way.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

I think it must be the quality/size of the server.
                  There might be something to that. When it happens it acts a lot like getting a busy signal on a phone call.

Maybe the growth of the participation levels of the forum has outgrown something. (Note that I am ridiculously ignorant in this area[:I])...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Rich, do my posts show up on your computer? This is the umpteenth time you've asked a question clearly answered in a previous post! [B)] [)] Robert (Bob) Andrews
                    Do YOUR posts show up on YOUR computer? I don't see any mention in any of your posts about what which browser it is you are using. Saying you are using 'other browsers' tells us nothing. Not that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to these fancy computer things, anyway. There's alot of that going around, these days.

Maybe it's a sign... [:0] [)]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Again- It's the same problem with several different browsers. I use MSN, but when this happens I try IE and Mozilla; and I also try the iPhone, which uses Safari. All act the same way.

I'm confused. MSN is not a browser. What IS your default browser?

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

You're confused?? Not as much as I am now[xx(]

When I sign on to the internet, I start here: http://my.msn.com/ . From there I click on my favorites and select a bookmark, or type in a URL. Is that not a browser? Please define browser for me! I'm not being a smart-aleck; I'm truly confused now...

I thought the above was my "default browser". I also think of Mozilla Firefox, IE, and Safari as browsers. Is this wrong too?

Sheesh, I'll never figure this stuff out

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Bob... What little icon on your desktop do you click on to get to the Internet? MSN is a webpage, not a browser.

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

The icon is in fact a little butterfly that says MSN. That brings up a sign-in window where my screen name and password is entered. I click on that, and bingo, I'm on the internet. The MSN home page has the icons along the top- Favorites, where all my bookmarks are; a Search icon; a letter icon, from which I access my e-mail, and a few others.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Since MSN is a Microsoft product, I'd guess that you are using IE. However, ANY browser can access ANY web page on the net including MSN's home page.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X