Engine quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine quits

I have this 1951 2R11 truck that I bought in 1985. It starts and runs fine. But when you take it on the road, in overdrive 45 to 50 mph, winter or summer after about 5 or 6 miles the engine just quits... after getting off the side of the road, open the hood look around a little bit, get back in the truck it starts right up. Drive back home no problems. A few years ago I pulled the fuel tank off, it had about 3 inches if the nastiest looking stuff I've ever seen in it. Replaced the fuel tank with a new one from SASCO. I also replaced the fuel lines, fuel pump and rebuilt the carb. Installed new spark plugs, wires and new points and condencer. Still had the same problem. The truck has set now for about five years while I played with my 53 coupe. Yesterday I put new gas in the truck, new battery, it started right up with a little priming. Left it run for quite awhile, OK I'll take it around the block for a ride, our blocks are 4 miles around. It did the same thing, just about got home, the engine quit. Pulled over took the air cleaner off looked in there was gas in there. Got back in, it started right up... How do you run a problem like that down? It sure does not go away with time.

Jim
    sigpic
    Jim

Bad coil?

Comment

Whacker
      Thanks, sorry about that, it was changed with the other ing. parts...
      Jim
      sigpic
      Jim

Comment

Try a different new coil. Sounds like same problem I had with a V8 Champ.
        Changed coil, problem went away.
        Sometimes bad parts come in a new box.

Comment

Working...
        X