1961 Lark Dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Lark Dash

I am doing to re do my interior this year and just want to know what will fit in the hole between the gauges. Also, what radio are you guys running, I thought about mounting one under the dash but that may look tacky. Pictures and recommendations are appreciated.

Typicly there is a clock delete plug there, or there is a clock. I would post pictures but the memory card ports on the computer quit working. Are you going for a aftermarket radio, or a original? If you are going aftermarket, there is a neat one from Studebaker International that is AM-FM with a cassette player that fits is the original hole.

Dylan
    '61 lark deluxe 4dr wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Does the one from SI have a MP3 port?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDC

Does the one from SI have a MP3 port?
        Probably not the $220.00 unit, it's an Auto Sound Classic Car unit, the $525.00 one might.
        A modern radio with remote and all the plug in's you could want costs the same and goes in the glove box or under the seat.

Some people like the holes filled, and install a lighter, a Stude. Clock with a new quartz movement conversion and a Stude. Radio working or not, along with the new one hidden, I would prefer that. [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Another idea for the radio, is get a original and get a adapter called the RediRad from Rediscover Radio. It says it will play a portable CD player, cassette player MP3, or a portable FM radio and even sattilite radio without modifying your original radio. I haven't tried it yet, but I want to get one some time when I get a radio for my car. You can find it at http://www.rediscoverradio.com/ , or on page 60 of the March '09 Turning Wheels. I am glad some one made this, because I was going to make something similer myself. Hope this helps,

Dylan
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

quote:Originally posted by silverhawk

Another idea for the radio, is get a original and get a adapter called the RediRad from Rediscover Radio. It says it will play a portable CD player, cassette player MP3, or a portable FM radio and even sattilite radio without modifying your original radio. I haven't tried it yet, but I want to get one some time when I get a radio for my car. You can find it at http://www.rediscoverradio.com/ , or on page 60 of the March '09 Turning Wheels. I am glad some one made this, because I was going to make something similer myself. Hope this helps,
            Pretty slick. Thanks.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Probably works on the same principle as the old FM converters; jacks to the antenna input and sends all the signals to a particular AM frequency. Everything comes through in monaural; nothing wrong with that. It would be easy to upgrade the original speaker without altering anything apparent.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have a 62 but the dashes are similar for the most part, I fit a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the clock hole.

If I could find a better spot for the radio, I would weld up the radio hole and add a better temp gauge, an charging (amp?) gauge and perhaps a better gas gauge. Another music/news solution is that I could get a xm/serius radio reciever installed in my center counsol. No "radio" no problem and when I walk away, the reciever goes in my pocket.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
                The Replacements.
                \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                The Replacements.

Comment

That center hole is tricky because if IIRC it is 2-3/8" in diameter and there are just about no gauges in a white face that size. JC whitney had a black faced indash tach that was 2-3/8"; somebody here on the forum has one, but I cannot remember who.
                  Edit: I forgot, check my post on this thread, for a hidden radio http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=26438

Jon Krimm
                  1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

That is a pretty good idea to mount the anteana. I have been wanting to put a radio in my car, but don't have the heart to drill a hole in such a nice fender. What kind of grommet did you use? Was it a paticular one, or a random one?

Dylan
                    Dylan Wills
                    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Working...
                    X