1955 Rear End needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Rear End needed

I am looking for a 1955 rear end. I live in Prescott, WI. Does anybody know of someone in my area that might have a rear end?

I think the V8s used the Dana 44 and the Champion 6s used the 23. What kind of car is it for?
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

My it is for a 1952 Champion. The rear end is bad, and my dad would like to put a newer rear end under it.

Comment

Any of the '55-66 Dana 23 rear axle gear sets will work;

1. Make sure you get the rear axle ratio which matches the one you have now.
        2. If you buy a '55 or later rear axle for the gearset, the brakes are a great improvement, but you'll need the front brakes also.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

If your car is a 52, the rear ends from 53 up are too wide. Your first post said 55. Which is it? 50 and older Champions used 4 lug wheels so with a 52 you are stuck with a 51 or 52 rear end if you need the whole assembly. I don't know off hand if the 52 rear hubs will fit the earlier rear axles.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I have a 52 Champ. I wanted to put a 55 rear end in it.

Comment

What part of the 52 rear end is bad? The gears from another Dana 23 should fit even if the axles will not. BTW the later brakes will fit your 52 axle housing, even the larger V-8 brakes.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
              "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Let me tell you from experience. 51 or 52 is your only choice. Been there and done that. I ended up with a 1969 Dodge Dart 8 3/4 rearend. My 51 is a V8 3 speed overdrive the Dodge is a 3.94. I believe that's right. CRS

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                Middle Tennessee 37th Annual Car Show April 4 2009

Comment

There seems to be a grinding noise when you drive around a corner. My dad changed the bearing out, however that did not help.

Comment

Do you know of anyone in my area Central West WI. That might have a rear end from a 52?

Comment

Troy

Just a thought, but are you sure that the grinding is coming from the rear? You may want to check the front bearings also. While your under there, look for rubbing contact. Something could be shifting and rubbing on the driveline.

To answer your original query, I have a 54 6-cyl rearend out of my 54K. I'm posting this answer just in case anyone else may want that rearend if it can't help you.

Bob

Comment

The grinding is for sure coming from the rear, because if you are driving the car you can not hear it. The reason why we caught it was because my Dad happened to be riding in the back seat the last time we went for a ride.
                        Unfortunitly according to the last two gentlemen a 54 rear end will not work with our 52. It is amazing how quirky studebakers can be, but I love them all the same.

Comment

You might not need a new rear end, just a wheel bearing. If the gears in the rear end were bad, they'd be noisy in straight-ahead driving, too, unless the problem was solely in the spider gears, which are easily replaced.

Get a mechanic who is familiar with Studebakers to diagnose the real nature of the problem before throwing parts at it.

I'd definitely check the wheel bearings before proceeding any farther.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

If it comes to that, you could put a ford 7.5 or 8.8 rear from a ranger in. It is only about 3/4 inch difference and the wheel pattern is the same.

Comment

I have a Dana 23 from a 56 Flight Hawk You can have if you want to come and get it, just south of St. Louis, Missouri. It does need a front seal but it is a good rear-end.

Studebaker Fever
                              60 Lark
                              56 Power Hawk
                              Phil Hendrickson
                              Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                              60 Lark
                              56 Power Hawk
                              Phil Hendrickson
                              Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Working...