Is all 57-61 Hawk carpeting the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is all 57-61 Hawk carpeting the same?

Is there a difference between GOlden Hawk and Silver Hawk carpeting, or any difference because of the years?

DO NOT take this as gospel... but I think this is how it goes: IIRC...

There's no difference between a Silver Or Golden Hawk carpet..

Other than colors- the carpet set is the same for all C/K's '56-'58, possibly the earlier back to '53. It was bound on the edges and was installed ON TOP of the sill-plates, but to the inside of the raised sill. The rear portion was NOT bound- and tucked under the small "bucket" seats and armrest in the rear.

1959-61... they went to the narrow sill band- and the carpet was tucked under it and the band held it down. The rear seat was one-piece rather than "buckets" so the carpet just tucked under that. ..Other than that... they "fit" the same. You can use the earlier carpets- if you use the earlier sill-plates.

In 1962, The GT hawks had a raised brace under the rear seat. This required a separate strip of carpet to cover that. I'm not sure if there's enough on a GT carpet set to tuck under earlier C/K back seats..

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

I was just wondering, because I was hoping to buy carpet for my 57 GH at York, and was very disappointed that I couldnt find anyone selling it. When you go to other swapmeets (GM, Mopar, etc), carpet vendors are all over the place. I did find a guy with a 60 Hawk carpet set still in the box, but was afraid to buy it because I didnt know if it would work. He wasnt 100% sure either.

Comment

Most (studebaker) vendors don't carry that type of thing around, or keep an inventory. Everyone wants something different.. If they carried 47 colors to the meet, someone will ask for the only color they are out-of-stock on...

Just call JDP (Historic Automotive) and purchase a set of his. I have installed a few sets and the quality and fit is good.

Ray

Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

Jerry,
          JDP was there. Good carpet, good deal.
          Click on his Forum screen name and tell him what color you want.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jeryst

Is there a difference between GOlden Hawk and Silver Hawk carpeting, or any difference because of the years?
            All '57 Silver Hawks, Power Hawks, and Flight Hawks are rubber mats.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So they did not have actual carpeting?

Does anyone make the rubber mats? Do they cover the whole floor like a carpet?

Comment

So they did not have actual carpeting?

Does anyone make the rubber mats? Do they cover the whole floor like a carpet?
                NO carpeting on the cheap and mid level models at all, and yes they are full floor two piece, one front, one rear just like the top of the line models with carpets.

But NO, they have never been re-produced for cars, only for 3 speed Trucks with low tunnel and no floor shift.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

But Golden Hawks would have had carpet, correct?

Comment

But Golden Hawks would have had carpet, correct?
                    All '57 Silver Hawks, Power Hawks, and Flight Hawks are rubber mats.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

THERS IS A DIFFERENCE, a huge one if you go by the way PHANTOM cuts their carpets over those offered by other vendors, and compared to what would be left in your car before you replaced it. JP's Carpeting matches the original carpeting in the manner in which it is laid down. Phantom's is different, and confusing. NOW...I DON'T KNOW WHO IS CORRECT. First issue. On JP's and in factory photos the carpeting under the rear seats, is tacked to the crosss member and folds down and lays over the carpeting on the floor. On the Phantom carpeting the piece under the seat is glued to the cross member and reaches the floor, then the flat floor piece is butted up to the cross member, and the bound edge hides the raw edge of the cross member carpeting. Another issue with the Phantom is that on either end of the cross member carpeting they have it so carpet goes UP on the rear panels. When I got my set I also found that there was an error that cannot be fixed. On 56J's the rubber under the feet on the driver's side is supposed to be the same color as the carpeting. Phantom supplies a black rubber piece, totally wrong. One caveat is that whe I tried to test fit the Phantom set I could no figure it out as to weither the front is over the rear or vice versa. They sent me photos, and I am speculating that they used a Packard Hawk as their pattern, which if I am correct will be wrong as the carpeting will be too wide for the car. TOO WIDE, meaning that on 53-62 had that wide aluminum sill plate, where the Packard Hawk has a small sill plate shown in the Paantom photos. There is a chance that the Phantom carpeting will extend too far across the car to lay over the sill plate, and still allow the sil plate to show. None of my observations can be verified until I install it, but to answer the question there is a difference between years and models.

Comment

"On the Phantom carpeting the piece under the seat is glued to the cross member and reaches the floor, then the flat floor piece is butted up to the cross member, and the bound edge hides the raw edge of the cross member carpeting. Another issue with the Phantom is that on either end of the cross member carpeting they have it so carpet goes UP on the rear panels."

Bill,
                        On my Sky Hawk which still had the remains of the original carpeting in the back, the carpet is the exact same setup as Phantom has created. Under the rear seats and the center armrest, the carpet strip was held in place by glue and a few tacks, maybe 5 or so tacks. These tacks are the same one that hold the rubber to either side of the cowl. The carpet also indeed did go up the reat panels by about 3 or so inches as well.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                        X