Close call in the Lark!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close call in the Lark!!

I took my 63 out yesterday for a little cruise. I was meandering down a side road (15mph speed limit) at about 10 MPH. I was coming to a yield sign and was prepairing to stop (I have learned to be an EXTREMELY defensive driver when I am in my Stude[8D]) I was about two car lengths to the sign when some lady came flying around the corner at about 25 from the adjacent street, (NOT using her signal, with no warning) prepairing to hit me head on in the driver side.

I swerved, she swerved and tried to slow down ( I did not try to slow down, cause if I did I would have stopped!) Then SHE gave ME the dirty look!

She went on and I came to a stop. There was a bicyclist about one half block away, coming toward us who saw the whole thing. The look on his face said it all. He was shaking his head as he approached me and said.

"That was a close one for the Lark!" (He knew what it was! NOT a Rambler!!!)

I looked at him, a bit shaken, "yeah..."

"It must be your lucky day!" He said

"Yeah..." It took me awhile to get going, I was a bit shaken. I have come close to accidents before, and this one would probably not have been life threatining, but I don't like the thought of my Lark with a bashed fender and grille from some woman in a taurus who can't watch what she is doing. I know they are everywhere, and I try to expect them, but it still rattles your cage when you see it coming.

Well, with that being said, I'm gonna take my Lark out for a spin!

(pray that no one hits me!![B)])

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Geesh Nathan! You ought to know better than to slow down and stop for a stop sign! If you had kept going and run the sign, you would have been gone before she got there.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Geesh Nathan! You ought to know better than to slow down and stop for a stop sign! If you had kept going and run the sign, you would have been gone before she got there.
      He said that it was a "yield sign" that he might have to stop at.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

ok, I was wrong. But I still meant it to be a joke.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I now what you mean by stupid drivers, I have the same thing happen to me, just on a bycicle.Multiple close calls.

Dylan
          '61 lark deluxe 4dr wagon
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Ha, after story time...I took my Lark out no less than fifteen minutes after posting this, and went to pick up my wife from work. We were driving through 5 oclock rush hour traffic, at a busy intersection, waiting at a red light...and I run out of gas!![B)] (I really need to get that gauge fixed!!) Thankfully there was a gas station no less than half a block away, that had one gallon gas cans for sale. My wife was mortified. Not only because we were stalled in rush hour traffic, filling our tank, but because we were in one of the most eye catching cars on the road!! I just laughed it off, but my wife wasn't going to let it go that easy. She told me whe wouldn't ride in that car for a long time after that. Oh well, she will get over it in a month or so!

Comment

I had it with running out of gas. I've replace the sending unit in my Hawk and have purchased a NOS sending unit and NOS gas gauge for the 63 Lark. I just have to install them in the Lark

quote:tutone63 Posted - 03/07/2009 : 4:55:38 PM Ha, after story time...I took my Lark out no less than fifteen minutes after posting this, and went to pick up my wife from work. We were driving through 5 oclock rush hour traffic, at a busy intersection, waiting at a red light...and I run out of gas!! (I really need to get that gauge fixed!!) Thankfully there was a gas station no less than half a block away, that had one gallon gas cans for sale. My wife was mortified. Not only because we were stalled in rush hour traffic, filling our tank, but because we were in one of the most eye catching cars on the road!! I just laughed it off, but my wife wasn't going to let it go that easy. She told me whe wouldn't ride in that car for a long time after that. Oh well, she will get over it in a month or so!

Best of luck with that sending unit.

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
              Oakville, Ontario.
              Hamilton Chapter
              See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
              PSMCDR 2013
              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Thanks, I think my first step is going to be following the grounding tips highlighted in turning wheels back in march (or was it feb or april?) 2007. I have that particular TW sitting by my bed and have been going over it lately.

Comment

Driving a Stude can be such fun~ I do it everyday~ as I have been for 17+ years now. I can usually predict what will happen on the road even before it does. Think for yourself, and the knuklehead in the other lane doing any and everything but driving.
                  You have to these days. [:0] [V]

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

ok, I was wrong. But I still meant it to be a joke.
                  I got your joke! Unfortunately for you, me, and a few others here~
                  some folks are all business, all of the time...

Just the facts, man!!! [:0] Seriously.
                  No jokes (or mistakes) allowed. [B)]

Be careful out there -[)]-

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                  smile once in awhile-
                  it makes people wonder...

StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

One of the times when I'd just gotten my truck back on the road after cleaning and resealing the gas tank I got about two blocks from the gas station when I... you guessed it, ran out of gas.

Another time I was driving home from work, plenty of gas in the tank (and the sender has been replaced and is accurate) when it cut off... in the left lane of a busy road at rush hour (Airport Blvd at I-40 heading away from the airport).

Finally figured out the Advance Auto electric fuel pump had quit and there was nothing I could do about it there an then so out came the cell phone for yet another call to the wrecker.

Oddly no one stopped to ask if they could help, including at least two police cars... I'd have pushed the thing onto the shoulder if I could have but would have had to cross the right lane to do it and I wasn't about to try it by myself, so I sat there and listened to the radio and read a book until the wrecker arrived.

I made the traffic report that day!

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Ive been hit, and run out of gas both in the same month, so many people watch the car insted of the road. Last April, 3 days after I got my Cruiser, an 18 year old girl in a Honda Accord full of friends drove right into the back of my Stude. I was stopped at a red light with 5 cars infront of me, and my brake lights work, very frustrating, I saw her coming in the rear view mirror, and I could not do a thing. When she hit me she was doing 50 kmh and the Cruiser felt like a manual when you pop the clutch and stall it, that crome bumper demolished the front of her car, and towed it about 6 feet before the Honda tore away from the bumper, I was lucky I only needed a bumper and a gas tank. A few weeks later I ran out of gas coming home from a cruise night, totally forgot my gas gauge is stuck at full, no gas stations around, walked about 6 blocks, found some gas stations, of which none had any gas cans....used some empty milk jugs that an attendant game me....bad idea, most of the gas ended up on the ground behind the car....oh well, I got home. I still love driving it, no crazy drivers can take that away from me, lol

Eric Harnett
                      1966 Cruiser
                      Hamilton Ontario
                      Hamilton Chapter
                      Eric Harnett
                      1966 Cruiser
                      Hamilton Ontario
                      Hamilton Chapter

Comment

I was sitting at a light a while back in my Cherokee. One car in front of me, an older Honda Accord behind me. The light changed but the car in front didn't move, however the Honda did.

Bent my bumper a little bit, smashed his grill, bent the hood, and shoved the radiator back into the engine.

He wrote me a check for $100, I cashed it, and the same bumper is still on the Jeep.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
                        http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Boyyy what is it with Honda Accords...I got rear-ended quite smartly one evening a few years ago at a traffic light in the rain, in my old Neon...what was it that sailed up from my "six-o'clock" and punted me not once but twice? An old Accord!

(Eric...and BTW, great to see you on the forum...I probably have a pic of your Cruiser sporting its interim custom bumper from back in the spring. Want me to pop it on here?? Everybody here thinks there was only the one prototype woody Stude...)

S.

Comment

I used to have a Cadillac Fleetwood. One of those with the jumpseats in the back. Anyway, we used to take it on long trips a lot. The kids loved to use the jumpseats for tables in order to play board games etc... We were stopped at a major intersection waiting to make a left and I feld a bump. The mirrors didn't show any cars behind me so I twisted around and told the kids to settle down in the back seat. The light turned and I started forward. The car was acting really sluggish and I commented to my wife that we needed to get the thing a tuneup. My oldest daughter was on her knees looking out the back window and asked me if we were towing a little trailer. I told her no and to get her knees out of the seat. She insisted that there was a little orange trailer behind the car and someone was waiving from it.

I stopped, got out and checked.

Sure enough, we had been rear-ended by a Datsun Z. One one of the older ones. It had buried it's hood under the rear of the Caddie and was being dragged along with us. The poor driver was trapped inside his car, unhurt, just annoyed.

The police were summoned and a wrecker arrived with them. They jacked up the Caddie and dragged the mangled Z out from under it. The Caddie wasn't even damaged. The Tow Truck Driver was highly amused and assured us that we could continue with our trip without worrying. So we did.

Another time I was driving another Caddie, a '72 Coupe De Ville and was side-swiped by an Escallade. There was plastic all over my hood. Wretched thing scratched my left front fender! One consolation was that all that beltline molding on the Escallade and anything below the windows was shredded. The driver was going ballistic till the cop showed up and pointed out to him that HE had crossed a double yellow line and hit ME! The accident occured on a frontage road along the I-5 (freeway). The Cop just happened to be passing by and saw the whole thing. It's really nice when your chief whitness is a Policeman.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Hey Steve, how are you doing? Ive missed the last few meetings but Im still around. Sure, Im sure that picture of my custom bumper would give everyone a good chuckle

Eric Harnett
                              1966 Cruiser
                              Hamilton Ontario
                              Hamilton Chapter
                              Eric Harnett
                              1966 Cruiser
                              Hamilton Ontario
                              Hamilton Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X