Corvette vs Mustang II for C-K's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvette vs Mustang II for C-K's

I have a 56 Hawk that I am updating. I had always planned to use an 86 Corvette front end. As I used on in a 50 Champion on air with a Ford 9". Handled like it was on rails! But since I acquired my hawk (under 30,000 original miles) I have been toying with the idea of leaving the stock font suspension intact and just upgrading to discs and a better steering system???? Most updated Studes I have seen have been re cross membered, using aftermarket Mustang II (2'' narrower than stock Stude or 82-88 Corvette)I have just installed such a kit in a 64 Lark. It is clean & simple but more money.
    What are the views of those of you that have done one of the above. Want to weigh the Pros & Cons. Please feel free to speak your mind!
    Thanks Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Use this link and click on CHASSIS for yet another front end option:

Comment

what about a chevy s10 front, matches up great with the 50&51 frames already have your power steering & disc brakes. mac

Comment

On a low milage car like yours [?] [?] [?]

Leave it alone. I would.

[u]disclaimer</u>~
        Opinions expressed here are mine, and mine alone. It's your car to do with as you please.
        I am not a lawyer, NOR did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

StudeDave '57 [8D]
        San Diego, Ca.
        (but not for long...)

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
        '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
        '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
        '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
        '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
        '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Your car, your money, your decision, but you asked for experienced opinions:

1. The OEM Studebaker suspension, with disc brakes, gas shocks and a stiffer front and rear sway bar is perfectly adequate for as fast as today's traffic will allow one to be driven.
          2. For those who just have to change something, of all the options you described, the C4 Corvette is far and away better than anything else I've tried.
          3. The "Mustang II" is just an attempt to distract from noticing it was originally designed for a cheap economy Pinto, half-a-ton lighter than a V8 Hawk.
          4. BTW, the S10 is a truck.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

The steering is a slow, complicated and expensive system. The aframes are okay, and disc can be installed a lot of different ways. I used a 92 mitsubishi montero box with a link to the center tie rods and a 92 camaro sway bar and short steering arms and am very happy with it.

Comment

Quick steering arms, Bilstein shocks, T-Bow swaybars, 13" Cobra brakes.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
              X