This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Corp products?

I know Studebaker was diversified beyond just auto manufacturing, but just how far? I know they did or at one time owned STP, Gravely (garden tractors, etc) and had military contracts. Weren't they owners or co-owners of McCullough/Paxton until it was sold to the Garlitz brothers? Anything else? What actually happened to Studebaker as a corporation at the final end? Sold off piece by piece, bought out by someone else for it's assets? I'm sure some of you folks out there know!

They also held Onan (the generator folks) for awhile as well as Clarke Equip. (floor polishers and such). They eventually ended up being absorbed - for the most part - by McGraw - Edison. Some pieces were spun off or further diluted to where what's left is part of the Cooper Group. There's also Studebaker-Worthington - some sort of financial services outift (sorry to be so vague) which is kinda interesting seeing as how Studebaker didn't manage their so well.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

They also held Onan (the generator folks) for awhile as well as Clarke Equip. (floor polishers and such). They eventually ended up being absorbed - for the most part - by McGraw - Edison. Some pieces were spun off or further diluted to where what's left is part of the Cooper Group. There's also Studebaker-Worthington - some sort of financial services outift (sorry to be so vague) which is kinda interesting seeing as how Studebaker didn't manage their so well.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Here is a page from the 1965 Studebaker annual report listing their businesses at that time.

When I bought my first computer in 1992, Office America was offering financing through Studebaker Worthington. I think Studebaker Worthington has now been gobbled up by another company, but I can't remember who.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Here is a page from the 1965 Studebaker annual report listing their businesses at that time.

When I bought my first computer in 1992, Office America was offering financing through Studebaker Worthington. I think Studebaker Worthington has now been gobbled up by another company, but I can't remember who.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Studebaker-Worthington is on the Web at http://www.studebaker.com/, believe it or not. And they explain it all in their "Who are we?" page:

quote:If you're thinking, "Hey, wasn't Studebaker a car they used to make?", you're right.

We were originally part of a multi-billion-dollar industrial company that used to manufacture the Studebaker car.

Today, Studebaker-Worthington Leasing Corp. is a wholly owned subsidiary of State Bank of Long Island (Amex symbol STB), a billion-dollar plus commercial bank based in Jericho, NY.

Ironically, they lease everything but cars

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Studebaker-Worthington is on the Web at http://www.studebaker.com/, believe it or not. And they explain it all in their "Who are we?" page:

quote:If you're thinking, "Hey, wasn't Studebaker a car they used to make?", you're right.

We were originally part of a multi-billion-dollar industrial company that used to manufacture the Studebaker car.

Today, Studebaker-Worthington Leasing Corp. is a wholly owned subsidiary of State Bank of Long Island (Amex symbol STB), a billion-dollar plus commercial bank based in Jericho, NY.

Ironically, they lease everything but cars

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I have a couple of decals fron the BIG4, A divison of Studebaker, Automotive Equipment. I don't know of what all it consisted of but it may of been some place in Mn., because the decals were found in a antique shop here. ????? .
                Klif

55 Speedster
                42 Champ Coupe
                55 Speedster/Street Machine
                63 Avanti R2
                64 Convertible R1

Comment

I have a couple of decals fron the BIG4, A divison of Studebaker, Automotive Equipment. I don't know of what all it consisted of but it may of been some place in Mn., because the decals were found in a antique shop here. ????? .
                  Klif

55 Speedster
                  42 Champ Coupe
                  55 Speedster/Street Machine
                  63 Avanti R2
                  64 Convertible R1

Comment

Big 4 was a manufacturer of tire changing equipment.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Big 4 was a manufacturer of tire changing equipment.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I still have my 1978 Studebaker Gravely that I bought new for $2300. That was a lot of money for a rider tractor in '78, but then it still runs strong and I've only had it to the shop once. It earned it's keep for 20 years at the fishing resort we had.

They are now owned by Ariens, and the only rider they make is a zero radius mower. I'm also sure they will not last 28 years.

Dick
                        Mountain Home, AR

Dick
                        Mountain Home, AR
                        http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

I still have my 1978 Studebaker Gravely that I bought new for $2300. That was a lot of money for a rider tractor in '78, but then it still runs strong and I've only had it to the shop once. It earned it's keep for 20 years at the fishing resort we had.

They are now owned by Ariens, and the only rider they make is a zero radius mower. I'm also sure they will not last 28 years.

Dick
                          Mountain Home, AR

Dick
                          Mountain Home, AR
                          http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

There was an extensive article in TURNING WHEELS maybe ten or more years ago. They owned the company that made the device that inserts studs into winter treads, a company that manufactured refrigerated display cases, as well as a small airline.

Brad Johnson
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            33 Rockne 10
                            51 Commander Starlight
                            53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There was an extensive article in TURNING WHEELS maybe ten or more years ago. They owned the company that made the device that inserts studs into winter treads, a company that manufactured refrigerated display cases, as well as a small airline.

Brad Johnson
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              33 Rockne 10
                              51 Commander Starlight
                              53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X