Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found T86E in trunk

Ok, First things first,
    My car is a 48 champion with a standard 3spd. I just cleaned and disassembled the threespeed and found out why the car was parked. Some one rebuilt the tranny, sans Japanese bearings and all. So that says, at least in the 70's or 80's, then the output shaft nut worked it's way loose and grindy, grindy went the gears. Now in the trunk someone put a T86E OD tranny. Of coarse the front mount to bellhousing is different, and we don't plan on driving the car that much so I'm thinking of just sticking to the 3spd.

Two questions,
    What color is a 48 stude tranny? It had some black paint on it, but I'm not sure if that is stock or if that was put on during rebuild.

Next how much of a call is there for this T86E? I know the gears will fit in the T-96, but if someone has been searching for a T86E I don't want to tear it down. I have not removed the cover of it yet to inspect the gears. But it is complete minus bellhousing. It is obvious that is was pulled out of something because the speedo cable was cut and still attached to the tranny.
    If there is any feed back I can put it on photobucket.

The T86 is worth more than the more widely used T96. I don't think the gears are interchangeable. Also, there are at least two versions of the T86. Sell it and buy or rebuild your T96.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

That's what I was thinking too. It looks like I need to replace two gears in the t-96, so maybe it would at least offset that cost a little.

Comment

Working...
      X