Obituary of Asa Hall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obituary of Asa Hall

Asa E. Hall, 61, of Litchfield, CT died Tuesday, September 21, 2004 from injuries sustained in an automobile accident. Asa was a Life member of SDC and had an extensive collection of Studebaker trucks, cars, horsedrawn vehicles, and memorabilia. He was the co-author of the hard cover book, THE STUDEBAKER CENTURY, which went through five printings over a period of twelve years. Additionally, he authored numerous articles on Studebaker history. He loved his Studebakers and would talk for hours with other people who owned Studebakers. He is survived by his wife, Sharon.

We have lost a really dedicated Studebaker man. Asa helped me in a special way years ago dealing with a dead beat parts seller who wouldn't ship a steering column and gear box. Asa went to the seller who lived near him, picked up the material, got it loaded onto a truck going to a Studebaker meet at South Bend and it was hand carried to me there. NO CHARGE, I was indebted to Asa for his help, God Bless his soul. Stude8

Comment

I am having a hard time dealing with this great loss of a person and Studebaker enthusiast. I first met Asa in 1969. I was already a member of SDC, but became a member of SAS and our chapter was one of the first in SAS. Over the years, I have visited with Asa at many small and large Studebaker gatherings, at Asa and Sharon's apartment and home and Asa's father's home. Whenever I called Asa we would talk about Studebakers and other things at length. I never got the impression that he was trying to cut the conversation off. What seems important now is that although we spent five hours at our recent Zone Meet, we somehow missed each other. Asa saved many Studebaker trucks before most others thought they were worth saving. I extend our best wishes to Sharon. Gary & Cathy
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I had the privilege of working with Asa for a few months back in the early 90's at Hoffman Leasing in East Hartford, CT. We shared 2 interests, Asa's Studebakers and my love of Packards that dated from my Grandfather, who even bought them as cabs for the Taxi Company he owned in Arlington, MA. We also shared a love of Presidential history and spent a great deal of time talking of about Asa's visits to Presidential libraries. His goal was to visit all of them. I hope he was able to do that. Asa was one of the finest people I have ever met and the story from Stud8 sounds like typical Asa. I remember that he drove his prized Avanti to work one day, because I mentioned how much I had loved that car since my neighbor had had one while I was growing up. I last saw him after he left to be a GM of a dealership in Madison, CT, even if it meant driving over 60 miles each way to work, because he wasn't going to leave his beloved Litchfield or his beloved Studebakers. I hadn't been aware of his passing, but thought of him today as I was placing my autographed copy of his book the Studebaker Century in the library of my new home and I learned of his passing through a Google search. A message to us all that when you meet someone as special as Asa, don't lose touch, because it may become too late. My deepest Sympathies to Asa's family and to all those like myself who lost a special friend when he passed. Rich Roy, San Antonio, TX

Comment

Working...
        X