X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat riser valve needed

I need a heat riser valve.

I spoke with Phil Harris at Fairborn (formerly Ted Harbit's) and he said the ones everybody (Stud Int'l, SASCO, Stephen Allen's) has is too big. The bolt holes will match up, but the internal butterfly would have to be removed from the heat riser and cut/ground/etc to a smaller size, so it could swivel inside the pipe and manifold. He called Studebaker International and they confirmed this and I called Stephen Allen's and they kinda confirmed it as well.

So I guess I'm looking for an NOS one then? Does anybody on the forum happen to have one?

(Also, just wanted to say, Phil seems to be a pretty straight shooter and has helped me out before.)

[img=left]http://www.bulletshots.net/images/stella3.jpg[/img=left]1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

Long shot here, but you used to be able to buy one at local parts stores that fit late 50s - maybe even early 60s Cadillacs that fit right.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Long shot here, but you used to be able to buy one at local parts stores that fit late 50s - maybe even early 60s Cadillacs that fit right.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There's one guy in town that SOMETIMES has stuff that old. I may take it in and see if he can match something up. I'll keep asking around in the meantime too.

[img=left]http://www.bulletshots.net/images/stella3.jpg[/img=left]1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

Comment

There's one guy in town that SOMETIMES has stuff that old. I may take it in and see if he can match something up. I'll keep asking around in the meantime too.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

I can confirm what Mr Biggs says about the Cadillac heat risers fitting perfectly. Back before the reproductions appeared, this was the only source for Stude heat risers, and was mentioned several times in the Cooperator column. Mine's been working great for more than 20 years, but the box is long gone. Maybe someone can come up with the correct application or even the GM part number -- they might still be available.

Skip
            Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

I can confirm what Mr Biggs says about the Cadillac heat risers fitting perfectly. Back before the reproductions appeared, this was the only source for Stude heat risers, and was mentioned several times in the Cooperator column. Mine's been working great for more than 20 years, but the box is long gone. Maybe someone can come up with the correct application or even the GM part number -- they might still be available.

Skip
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Eman,
                I have performed this modification on one of these heat riser valves for a 51' Commander and it worked great. You do not have to disassemble the valve to make this mod. It's very simple to clamp it in a bench vise, hold the valve in the open position and grind off the edge of the butterfly just enough to clear. Trial fit frequently so as not to remove to much material. Hope this helps.
                Dan Miller
                Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Eman,
                  I have performed this modification on one of these heat riser valves for a 51' Commander and it worked great. You do not have to disassemble the valve to make this mod. It's very simple to clamp it in a bench vise, hold the valve in the open position and grind off the edge of the butterfly just enough to clear. Trial fit frequently so as not to remove to much material. Hope this helps.
                  Dan Miller
                  Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                  Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

What has been posted is correct. You do not need to dissasemble the valve to make it fit. You will need a grinder and do several trial assemblies to be sure the material you have taken off the butterfly is sufficient to clear the manifold and pipe. I have just used one of these aftermarket units on a Pickup It works great. The part number from NAPA is 600-1824. I purchased two of them because they are running short. Ted

Comment

What has been posted is correct. You do not need to dissasemble the valve to make it fit. You will need a grinder and do several trial assemblies to be sure the material you have taken off the butterfly is sufficient to clear the manifold and pipe. I have just used one of these aftermarket units on a Pickup It works great. The part number from NAPA is 600-1824. I purchased two of them because they are running short. Ted

Comment

Hmmm, I just bought one for my '51 that SASCO had on ebay for around half of what they list them for on their site. In fact they had another one on there after the auction for mine ended but don't know if it's still on there right now. The counterweight is different than the orginal, but other wise looks identical (in dimension, not condition!). I'll compare it to the old busted one buried somewhere on my workbench (I was going to build one from scratch). I know it's behind the 3 disassembled alternators but below the hydrovac, tv circuit board, pullies, idlers, motorcycle parts and to the left of the 2 disassembled electronic tachometers, welding rods and meat saw....tell me, does anyone else's shop look like mine??? I did get it cleaned out this spring (first time in what, 12 years?) but that was because I needed room for my motorcycle engine transplant.

Comment

Hmmm, I just bought one for my '51 that SASCO had on ebay for around half of what they list them for on their site. In fact they had another one on there after the auction for mine ended but don't know if it's still on there right now. The counterweight is different than the orginal, but other wise looks identical (in dimension, not condition!). I'll compare it to the old busted one buried somewhere on my workbench (I was going to build one from scratch). I know it's behind the 3 disassembled alternators but below the hydrovac, tv circuit board, pullies, idlers, motorcycle parts and to the left of the 2 disassembled electronic tachometers, welding rods and meat saw....tell me, does anyone else's shop look like mine??? I did get it cleaned out this spring (first time in what, 12 years?) but that was because I needed room for my motorcycle engine transplant.

Comment

John, I trust your shop looks positively PRISTINE next to mine.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

John, I trust your shop looks positively PRISTINE next to mine.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X