Question about carb cover on 57 GH.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about carb cover on 57 GH.

On the cover that goes over the carb, there is what looks like a rubber plug with two holes in it. Currently, the holes are plugged with bolts. Can anyone tell me what is supposed to be there?

The rubber disk should be mounted to a small piece of spring-steel (2" long x 1/2" wide). It is your "flapper valve". The spring steel bolts to the cover, and the rubber "flapper" goes over the large hole in your housing.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

What function does it serve? What will happen with the hole completely plugged as it is now?

Comment

Your carburetor has VENTED fuel bowls. Early Carb boxes did NOT have the flapper. Fumes would build-up in the box, and if the car backfired...KABOOM...

The flapper valve lets the fumes escape when not under pressure. As soon as you get a little boost- the flapper closes off the hole.

Ray

Ray

Comment

US Patent 2756735 covers the flapper valve. It made hot restarts easier, as fumes from the carb could escape, rather than "flood" the warm engine with too rich a mixture.
          Early '57 Golden Hawks,(before PS-2357), used two flapper valves - one on the top surface of the lid, and one directly below in the base. That gave cross ventilation! The valve in the base would have let any fuel from a stuck float or something leak out, too. Later models, with only a valve in the lid, had a small tube with a restricted fitting to do that.
          Mike M.

Comment

Anybody have one of these flapper valve assemblies, or does anyone make them?

Comment

They are available, new, from Stude parts suppliers. Try one of the advertisers in "Turning Wheels". I think I got one from Studebaker International. They list them for $10 plus shipping.
              Mike M.

Comment

My 57 GH has a 1 inich hole in the bottom of the housing, with no flapper nor any means (bolt holes) of attaching a flapper if there was one available. When I got the car the hole was plugged and it remains so. What am I exposed to in this case.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kenmike2

My 57 GH has a 1 inich hole in the bottom of the housing, with no flapper nor any means (bolt holes) of attaching a flapper if there was one available. When I got the car the hole was plugged and it remains so. What am I exposed to in this case.
                  The carb enclosure has two parts: The base that the carb sets on, and the cover that goes over top the carb. Is the hole you are referring to in the base, or the cover?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kenmike2

A picture would help, but the only hole through he bottom housing is for the automatic choke. There is supposed to be a seal around it... I might be able to get a photo this afternoon...

Ray

Ray

Comment

Working...
                    X