This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starlight coupe trim question

On the first 500 '47 5 passenger coupes, stainless trim was around the entire rear windows.
    Like this:

After those first 500, trim was only fitted between the windows, not around it.

So, my question is, do any of the first 500 cars with that rare trim exist today? Does anyone know of any surving trim?

It has to be rarer than the stanless M-series grille trim!

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, Georgia
    '59 Scotsman PU
    '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

WOW, I didn't know that. I always wondered why they didn't run the trim around those windows. I guess it was a cost issue.

I have a friend who has a 53 coupe with the body tag number 5, but I don't know of any early 47s.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

WOW, I didn't know that. I always wondered why they didn't run the trim around those windows. I guess it was a cost issue.

I have a friend who has a 53 coupe with the body tag number 5, but I don't know of any early 47s.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

The rubber gasket was four separate pieces, at least in the later cars. My guess would be they leaked. I've never seen or known of one.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        33 Rockne 10
        51 Commander Starlight
        53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The rubber gasket was four separate pieces, at least in the later cars. My guess would be they leaked. I've never seen or known of one.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          33 Rockne 10
          51 Commander Starlight
          53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There was a green custom at the nationals in Madson Wisc.with that trim.
            Klif

55 Speedster
            42 Champ Coupe
            55 Speedster/Street Machine
            63 Avanti R2
            64 Convertible R1

Comment

There was a green custom at the nationals in Madson Wisc.with that trim.
              Klif

55 Speedster
              42 Champ Coupe
              55 Speedster/Street Machine
              63 Avanti R2
              64 Convertible R1

Comment

Someone told me there were problems installing those pieces on the production line and that's why it was dropped.[B)]

Looking at the parts book, it notes that this trim was deleted starting with Body# 5501. Since bodies started with #1 at that time, that would mean 5500 6G-C5s were built using this stuff.

Curiously, this was only used on Champions - NOT Commanders![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Someone told me there were problems installing those pieces on the production line and that's why it was dropped.[B)]

Looking at the parts book, it notes that this trim was deleted starting with Body# 5501. Since bodies started with #1 at that time, that would mean 5500 6G-C5s were built using this stuff.

Curiously, this was only used on Champions - NOT Commanders![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                  X