If this gets even one bid...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If this gets even one bid...

I'm going to rethink what goes into the trash!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

All I can say is, INCREDIBLE!!!
    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

You never know...I had a 63 Corvette glove box door leftover from a car I put together for a friend. The 63 door is unique but the one I had was cracked, discolored missing rivets etc.
      I literally stopped myself as I was holding it over the garbage can and decided that some Corvette lover may need it for something. I described it as "garbage" in the ebay ad. It did $63.00!

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

You gotta be chittin me. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

If this sells, I gotta quit throwing crap out.[8)]

Comment

Some one may need this for the pattern to make their own seat covers. They don't want to spend the money on a set of repop covers so they will be using their left over naugehyde (sp?) from the kitchen remodel to make up some covers themselves. This is CASO territory. That is the ONLY reason I can see for anyone bidding on this.

Frank Remlinger
            SDC# A004602R
            Frank Remlinger
            Detroit, Michigan
            SDC# A004602R

Comment

i saw a cardboard box stapled to a pallet marked stude/packard on it sell for 200 bucks. it looked like a box a replacement engine was shipped in. lousy shape and covered in grease and dirt.

Comment

Mu initial reaction was... I've got same used toothbrushes I should auction but, I agree with Frank. Someone may wish they had an old set they could use for a pattern.

On the other hand, if someone needed my old set for a pattern they could have them and I would pay for the shipping.

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The most interesting "gold mine" I heard of was a little one piece plastic car with two snap in black wheels that sold for about $2,000.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

The most interesting "gold mine" I heard of was a little one piece plastic car with two snap in black wheels that sold for about $2,000.
                    Nah- It's the raggedy Tempest shell that sold for $226k[:0]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:

Bob, that was no ORDINARY raggedy Tempest shell. A true one of SIX factory built race car with a "history" makes for a historic restoration as opposed to just being a beater sold on ebay for way too much money. That raggedy Tempest will be worth about $1.0-$1.5 million when restored.

Frank Remlinger
                      SDC# A004602R
                      Frank Remlinger
                      Detroit, Michigan
                      SDC# A004602R

Comment

quote:On the other hand, if someone needed my old set for a pattern they could have them and I would pay for the shipping.
                        Brad,
                        I'm with you on that sentiment![^]

Frank Remlinger
                        SDC# A004602R
                        Frank Remlinger
                        Detroit, Michigan
                        SDC# A004602R

Comment

Well, he is not accepting bids from "Canucks", so I'm safe... [}]

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar Deluxe
                          Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                          May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
                          http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
                          </h5>
                          Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fastfritz

quote:

Bob, that was no ORDINARY raggedy Tempest shell. A true one of SIX factory built race car with a "history" makes for a historic restoration as opposed to just being a beater sold on ebay for way too much money. That raggedy Tempest will be worth about $1.0-$1.5 million when restored.
                            Yeah, I know that! My comment was responding to the "most interesting gold mine" comment by 55s. I stand by my comment- the Tempest sill is the most interesting gold mine I've heard of![^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:
                              Yeah, I know that! My comment was responding to the "most interesting gold mine" comment by 55s. I stand by my comment- the Tempest sill is the most interesting gold mine I've heard of![^]

The "most interesting gold mine" I too agree with. My brain focused on the "raggedy" part and missed the intent of the ENTIRE response! duh. I remember watching that from day 1 to the finish. When I first read the ad, I got goose bumps and all excited thinking THAT this was one of the 6 SD421 Tempests. And wondering if the seller had a clue. Then we all watched as the seller had a AH-HA! moment and realized exactly what this family had that he was helping to sell. Amazing to see it go from a "scrap value beat up old race car" to one of the most intriguing (and valuable) barn finds of all time![^]

Back to the subject that is the start of this thread.... I am still wondering why this cat would put that up on ebay. I wonder if he figures someone ~might~ be able to use those covers for the reason we think-patterns. This would be the best way to offer them to the most people.
                              After watching what some people offer at swap meets, and knowing what I have thrown out (that was of better quality) I can see why this guy would try and turn a quick buck on ebay. As the old saying goes: "One man's trash is another man's treasure".

Frank Remlinger
                              SDC# A004602R
                              Frank Remlinger
                              Detroit, Michigan
                              SDC# A004602R

Comment

Working...
                              X