PDA

View Full Version : 56 inter fender / fender

KGlowacky
08-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Just finished removing the inter fenders from my old front fenders. I think Studebaker paid the welder per weld. I'm planning on bolting the interfenders on the car and then putting the nos fenders on the car. Line everything up and then weld them together. Has someone done this before and is this the correct way or do you weld the fenders to the inter fenders before assembly???(I can't think this way will work). Thanks

sbca96
08-17-2006, 05:55 PM
I think the best way would have been to make a jigg before you went
and separated the inner fender from the outer fender. Most likely it
is the way that Studebaker welded them originally.

Tom

KGlowacky
08-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Well, I guess I can do that. I have a third fender that is still together!! Looking at it closer,it may only go together one way anyway. The front apears to be limited to the way it can be assembled then the back is a given.

Jeff_H
08-17-2006, 06:56 PM
I did this with the left front fender on my '53. I pieced it together from outer fender, inner, and the air deflector part. All came from different places.... I held the assembly together with a few carefully placed sheet metal screws and [u]test fit</u> it first on the car before commiting the welder to it. I think I had to adjust it a little by moving the screws once or twice. I agree that there were a gazillion spot welds! Took me a couple hours to drill and grind them out to separate the inner fender from the old outer.

I found that I got a pretty good start in positioning for the initial fitup with the screws just from the line of spot welds and some light pitting on the inner fender where the outer was lapped over it. No doubt there originally was a fixture of some sort though.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Roscomacaw
08-18-2006, 02:22 PM
KGlo,

Were there any rubber "gaskets" between the front fender firewall flanges and where they bolted to the front of the A-pillar? Don't forget to reinstall those and realize that their flexibility leaves things a bit "rubbery" as far as the outers being "aligned".[}:)]
These bodies were dropped onto the chassis with the hood fitted to the cowl. Once they were bolted to the frame, the front clip was set on and aligned to the hood!;) If it were my project, I'd have the hood involved in the setup or you might play hell trying to get everything aligned in the end.:(

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

KGlowacky
08-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Yes there was rubber on the cowl. I will remember to re-install it. I like your idea of fiting the hood first(with the rad support and top latch cowling in place)and then the front clip. I will use this approach as it makes a lot of sense to me. The fenders and front splashs shields will be adjusted to align with the hood instead of vis versa. Thanks Again. Good info everyone.