Repopped cowl streamers- progress report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repopped cowl streamers- progress report

As some of you know, I have been tinkering with a cost-effective way to reproduce the different cowl streamers Studes had- 4-speed, Air-cond., and for the Skytops, sunroof. These streamers are a neat piece to have in their original spots; but frequently they were stolen or broken off. No one has been able to find a cost-effective way to reproduce an item like this with such a limited market; yet many of us would really like to have them.

I bought a Skytop with the tag still in place. Being that I had an original, I decided to take a stab at it myself. The challenge was to accurately reproduce the tags- same spacing, same size, same unusual rounded typeface. Further, I was hoping to find a system where any of the streamers could be simply and reasonably be reproduced; that would mean several die sets. All in all a real challenge.

I did what I do whenever it comes to things no one else has been able to do: Go and see my good friend Bill Marsh. Bill is a modest and humble, yet brilliant old-school machinist with nearly 70 years' experience! I can't tell you how many "impossible" things Bill and I have done over the years. I took the tag to Bill last Fall and laid out the challenge. He took the tag from me and started thinking.

We had a few ideas that didn't pan out. Finally Bill developed the current system. Dies were made by casting then from the actual, original tag. The key was the metal that could be poured in a molten state onto the tag without damaging it- yet harden enough to be useful dies. Bill remembered this from talking to then-old timers 50 years ago; I had never heard of such a thing. Bill cast the dies (both sides) and made up fixtures for them that would work in a press. All we had to try was aluminum flashing; but here's the first try:

The top piece is the original; note that it is unharmed- not even the original paint! The bottom is the copy; it fits onto the original perfectly- no shrinkage or distortion. While the type is perfect in the dies, it is not perfectly sharp in the sample. Bill feels this is because the flashing is too thin.

So the next step is to get our hands on some correct, original streamer blanks. Mike Gahlbeck said a while back that he had some, and I've already e-mailed him. My hope is to get some ASAP, so I can bring some samples along with the original for folks to see at York.

If these work, the process to make any other dies is pretty simple and cheap; just a matter of having an original from which to make a casting. We feel the dies should be good for at least a few dozen before showing wear.

I'm waiting for some tags, and I'm pretty hopeful that these will work out. I'll keep you posted. Comments welcome!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I think I have the tag that say's KIT (which is for a Taxi).. or maybe I sent it to Biggie.... ???

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Very nice job on that Bob! [^] It looks plenty good enough for an SDC judge!

The only ones I can think of that would have more than (5) cars to put them on, would be : 4 SPEED, FLOOR SHIFT (for Power Shift) and SUN ROOF.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Cool! What kind of metal did you guys use to do it?

Dylan
        '61 lark deluxe 4dr wagon
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Bob, you and Bill should be happy with the results. The reproduction looks real. I know I'll want a couple of the 4-speed tags.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Need 4 speed and Air conditioning. Those look great!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by silverhawk

Cool! What kind of metal did you guys use to do it?
              I forgot the name. But if it works like we want I'll sure remember it!

I've already been e-mailed about price; unknown as of yet. Depends what Bill charges me; then I'll have to amortise it out and see.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Wow that is way cool. It looks good and even better if it can be a little tighter around the letters.

Do the "Speedster" tag and you'll have a fairly good market. I'd be one of them for sure. My "speedster" tag disappeared during restoration. It's a fairly sore subject for me, quite irritating to lose non-replaceable parts.

Keep at it and let us know where you go with this project. Thanks.

Best Regards,
                Eric West
                "The Speedster Kid"
                Sunny Northern California
                Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
                And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
                55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
                55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)
                Best Regards,
                Eric West
                "The Speedster Kid"
                And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)

Comment

I have heard that not all cars with one of these features got one of these streamers. For example, some 4 speed cars got a streamer, others didn't. Does anybody know if this is the case and why (if it is true)?

Also, do we know what over what years each of these tags were issued and which factory(s)?

Why just certain options?

Do they apply to both Hawks and Larks?

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I seem to remember a plant tag that was metal like that, and you could make a permanent tag that would not fade from sun or rain

My 1955 Commander
                    AKA Burnie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55studeman

Wow that is way cool. It looks good and even better if it can be a little tighter around the letters.

Do the "Speedster" tag and you'll have a fairly good market. I'd buy one of them for sure.
                      Eric, the letter spacing is exactly authentic, since it is cast directly from an original. The letters are also a touch out of alignment. If you mean for the letters to appear sharper, well, that's why we need original blanks to try.

The key to our system is borrowing an original to make a casting from. The other ones we do will be dictated by this.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Nice work, Bob. Kudos to Bill. [^][8D]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I have heard that not all cars with one of these features got one of these streamers. For example, some 4 speed cars got a streamer, others didn't. Does anybody know if this is the case and why (if it is true)?

Also, do we know what over what years each of these tags were issued and which factory(s)?

Why just certain options?

Do they apply to both Hawks and Larks?

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

I think you'll need to find a line worker or manager with direct "Tag" responsibilities to answer that one Dick.

In a TW article on the Speedster (1993'?), they briefly discussed the tag. It was discussed that there was possibly a preference for use at one factory (southbend vs LA) over the other based on existing cars that had them. It was also hypothesized that ones that don't have them simply had them fall off, which I totally believe because mine did and others I've talked to that have them know they aren't attached well.

I also have this sneaky suspicion that the tags were an efficiency idea not necessarily a necessity. They had the full production order for each car anyway and knew what it needed, but having the tags sped things up. But the speeding up was for the WHOLE line. Well what about the line section where they throw the tag on, and on occasional days they end up short on man labor so they yank the guy assigned the tag job and tell him to fill in and do more in another area so that this particular line keeps up with production. Just a theory.

I think a lot more investigative work needs to be done on this interesting issue. Maybe Quinnm, Palma or some Archive research can answer it. I'd like to know. Possible TW article?

Best Regards,
                          Eric West
                          "The Speedster Kid"
                          Best Regards,
                          Eric West
                          "The Speedster Kid"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

The key to our system is borrowing an original to make a casting from. The other ones we do will be dictated by this.
                            I think it looks great. The sharper comment is not alignement or spacing but rather tightness or sharpness around each individual letter, which you mentioned. Regardless I think it's awesome that you're working on it.

As for samples to copy, Biggs needs to chime in. I know he's grabbed quite a few from junk yards. Should have a good variety. For the Speedster tag someone may volunteer theirs for borrowing, or you can see if Rene will lend you one. I think he has a few hanging around, since he is a known Speedster aficionado.

Best Regards,
                            Eric West
                            "The Speedster Kid"
                            Best Regards,
                            Eric West
                            "The Speedster Kid"

Comment

They are many possible theories about the tags, they could have attached them to the first 5 or 10 or whatever cars of those special requirements of each shift for instance, to "wake up' the line workers, (especially on on Mon. Mornings. )

I have seen many cars the had the screw portion firmly attached to the cowl, but the rest was bent until broken off in dealer prep, or later since they really have no use after production.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X