Gas Guage Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Guage Testing

I want to test my sending unit and guage before putting everything back together. My plan is to create a complete circuit and see if raising the float on the sending unit causes the guage to read full.

This will be a bench test.
    1. I am thinking of attaching one end of wire #1 to the battery post and the other to the tiny bolt on top of the sending unit.

2. Then fasten wire #2 to the round cap that will someday be bolted to the top of the gas tank-(the piece that holds the tiny bolt in its center and the sending unit down in the tank.)

3. Then take the other end of wire #2 and attach it to one of the bolts on the back of the gas guage.

4. Then fasten wire #3 to the other bolt on the back of the gas guage and then attach the other end of it to the other battery post.

With this setup I am thinking that as the float is raised, the needle in the guage will move toward the full mark. Will this work or will I ruin something or everything?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I hope to not ruin anything.

Jimmie
    Orleans, Indiana

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Just remember whatever you do, that the wire from the sender to the Gauge is merely a regulated amount of GROUND to the gauge, so no direct power!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I dicussed how to calibrate and test a Avanti fuel gauge in a previos post.

Butler, PA
      63 Avanti R1 R2899
      Butler, PA
      63 Avanti R1 R2899

Comment

Soon to be tech-page...
        Generally, Hook the (+) power wire to the MIDDLE post and the wire to the SENDER (-)to the TOP post

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
        Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
        Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Working...
        X