Interesting story at Cracker Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting story at Cracker Barrel

I went to Cracker Barrel restaurant to let them know that we will be eating there on July 4th for the "Drive Your Studebaker Day".

A young woman, who was the manager, asked me how many people and what club would come. I told her that is was the Studebaker Drivers Club.

She said:

"My dad has an Avanti, I am so excited! Will your club members bring their cars?"

I was surprised. Most young people at restaurants, haven't heard of Studebakers. I asked her where her dad lived, and she said he lives in Asheville, NC, so I guess he won't come.

Leonard Shepherd

Hey, tell her, to tell him to drive his Studebaker anyway! [^]
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Two weeks ago I went to a gun show in Greencastle, PA. When I left, there was a Mazda Miata with WV tags parked next to my car. The license plate frame in the rear said "My Other Car Is A Studebaker". The license plate frame on my car says "My Other Car Is An Avanti".

I thought that was pretty amusing. I have no idea who owned the car. I would have loved to chat with them but as I said, I was on my way out. I wondered if they happened to notice my tag frame.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

I went to Cracker Barrel restaurant to let them know that we will be eating there on July 4th for the "Drive Your Studebaker Day".

A young woman, who was the manager, asked me how many people and what club would come. I told her that is was the Studebaker Drivers Club.

She said:

"My dad has an Avanti, I am so excited! Will your club members bring their cars?"

I was surprised. Most young people at restaurants, haven't heard of Studebakers. I asked her where her dad lived, and she said he lives in Asheville, NC, so I guess he won't come.

Leonard Shepherd

What a coincidence! BTW, I love 'The Barrel'. Whenever, wherever, I'm out of town with work, I look for one because their Wednesday night special, Broccoli Cheddar Chicken, is a favorite of mine--it's like eating at your Mom's or Grandma's! I love it.

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
        '64 Daytona Hardtop
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

I didn't know we had an Avanti owner here, unless he has the R2 semi-clone I passed on a few years ago. Got any names or anything?

Ron

quote:Originally posted by lstude

She said:

Leonard Shepherd

Ron Dame
          '63 Champ
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

A couple weeks ago I drove to Charleston, SC and stopped at a CB on the way. Their table setups had a wooden bifold advertisement thingy with 6 inserts of various 50-60s trucks, one being a 50-ish Studebaker. I forgot what they were advertising.

On the way home I thought that they wouldn't miss one of them, but the place I stopped at northbound, didn't have the Stude picture...

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
            55 President State Sedan
            70 Avanti (R3)
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Off topic but much love for CB here as well. 2 years ago on the BABE rally costume day (you have to dress in an appointed theme) we stopped at CB in tennesee for lunch 5 of us, dressed as Elvis. Our challenge for the day was to get groups of 10 or more to pose with us dressed as Elvis. So we asked the staff and it just happened the staff member we grabbed was originally from NJ (where all of us were from) and he was an Elvis impersonator. So we got our group photo with the staff and another with some customers who just wanted in on it all and had a big lunch. Come time for the check and they said it was on the house because Elvis doesn't pay in TN. It was a good day

We were also let into the Woodrow Wilson museum to have our picture taken in the Piece Arrow presidential limo

Comment

My wife and I stopped at a restaraunt and parked in the front. When the young waitress came to our table she asked " is that your Studebaker" I said it suprises me that you know what it is. She just smiled and said "It says Studebaker on it." But then she did say she knew what it was. Her dad is into old cars and she drives a '64 Mustang. She was only 17. Its nice to see some younger people are still interested in older cars.

Jeff Sheaffer
                60 Hawk
                Jeff Sheaffer
                Driving the past into the future

Comment

You guys with Hawks and bullet-nose cars have it easy. As Leonard Shepherd observed when he owned the '64 convertible, most people have no idea what it is...maybe a Rambler...or a Chevelle? BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:I didn't know we had an Avanti owner here, unless he has the R2 semi-clone I passed on a few years ago. Got any names or anything?

Ron
                    She gave me her name, but of course, I forgot it.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

You guys with Hawks and bullet-nose cars have it easy. As Leonard Shepherd observed when he owned the '64 convertible, most people have no idea what it is...maybe a Rambler...or a Chevelle? BP
                      LOL, I get people thinking that Bess is a Nomad. One time I took her into Redding and three guys were arguing at Home Depot as to just what she was. None of these twenty-somethings knew what a Studebaker was![)] One of 'em kept looking at the old girl and saying, "Well, just look at it. Looks like a Chevy to me!" LOL, at least they liked her. Even with all her bedraggled glory.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Ah, Cracker Barrel...one more reason this Canuck likes to make the occasional foray Stateside...wish we had 'em up here!

S.

Comment

Yeah, ya can't trash a Cracker Barrel!! I come for the food, but I stay for the the triangular brain teaser... [)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                          [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

Yeah, ya can't trash a Cracker Barrel!! I come for the food, but I stay for the the triangular brain teaser... [)]
                            blasted little pegs[B)] rrrrrr alway's 2 to 3 left. [}]

ChopStu
                            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

I think they say that if you can get 8 pegs to stay on those without any jumps (yes it is possible) than you are a certifiable genius.

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

Working...
                              X