Hidden VIN on Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden VIN on Avanti

I am trying to locate the hidden VIN on a 63 Avanti without success. I have the following forum info from Studerich: "It is located on the bottom side of the rearmost crossmember flange, near the center of the car." Is this the crossmember that the shocks mount to? That is the top mount for the shocks. Is it in the recessed center part? Any help on locating the VIN on the frame would be appreciated. And thanks guys for all of the help I have found on the forum. Thanks, Larry

Larry, that post was about Studebakers in general, NOT Avantis. They are special because the rear crossmember where the serial # is for the Lark Convertible frame they used is not installed, and that round "pipe" is there instead.

So on an Avanti, I don't know. You can check with your local Highway Patrol/State Police, they have the list for all cars.

I guess it would not hurt to check the pipe though.

And welcome to the SDC Forum and to SDC, hope you will or have joined, glad to have you! [^]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
      So on an Avanti, I don't know. You can check with your local Highway Patrol/State Police, they have the list for all cars.

I guess it would not hurt to check the pipe though.
      In many instances, that round 'pipe' has rusted off the frame, and not there.[:0] Unless you know someone from the local constabulary, they probably won't disclose that information as it is indeed 'secret'. When we formed our chapter in late 1979, we were fortunate enough to have a member who was an RCMP officer. When any of us came across a Studebaker on the road that we never saw before, we could give him the licence number, and he would reveal the owner's name and number so we could contact them. It was worthwhile as we did gain a few members for our chapter and SDC this way.

Craig

Comment

Craig, I really think that it is true that they certainly would not give you the complete list or maybe even let you LOOK at it, but they sure ought to be able to tell you where to look on one specific car without too much arm twisting!
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

When we formed our chapter in late 1979, we were fortunate enough to have a member who was an RCMP officer. When any of us came across a Studebaker on the road that we never saw before, we could give him the licence number, and he would reveal the owner's name and number
          I would have thought that would be illegal, or at least a major violation of law enforcement regulations[:0]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Actually BAMS, in Ontario if you want to sell a used vehicle privately you have to purchase a used vehicle package from the Ministry of Transport. Give them the licence number, pay your money and they give you a print out of all prior owners, from current to first, with addresses. The idea behind this is to provide information to help prevent "curbsiding" where people mis-represent the vehicle. Part of consumer protectionism. If the seller hasn't already done this you, as potential purchaser, can obtain it yourself.

6E40-195, 1963 Canadian Lark VY-6
            Chatsworth, Ontario, Canada
            1963 Canadian Lark VY-6 4E2-122 Deluxe Scotsman

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I had an Avanti impounded by the highway patrol a couple yrs ago. I was having an out of state inspection done and the serial # had one of the typical "A" after the full number. Since it didn't match it was impounded for three days while they tried to find the "secret #" which they said was on the rear cross member. I told them it was never there but they told me I didn't know what I was talking about and that their books were absolutely correct. After the third day of wire brushing and sanding the frame, they decided there was just a typo at sometime and issued the paper work.
              I really don't think there is a secret # on Avanti frames, maybe since the serial is attached to the frame? You can check my old thread about the same topic.

Comment

Your taxing this old brain, Take a look on the frame directly under the drivers seat. The frame number, not a secret serial number, might me stamped on the side or maybe on the under side of the flange, I don't remember for sure but, thats where I found it on a '42 Commander I restored. I'll have to check my Avanti when the garage warms up.

Richard

Comment

Try the transmission cross member. I bought a real nice spare one for an Avanti a while back and noticed that it had a stamped four digit number inside of it. It wasn't a part number, but it may have been a body number. It was in the middle of the channel on the bottom of the cross member if I remember correctly.

Nick

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 61Lark

Try the transmission cross member.
                    I really do not that is anything significant, I remember those on my Wagonaire X member also, my guess is that they are Budd Corp. part numbers.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for everyone's assistance. I did locate the VIN. It is in the engine compartment, on top of the right frame rail near number 8 cyclinder. There is the VIN tag just like the one on the door hinge post on my GT. Never thought about looking there. This Avanti is a whole new animal. Gonna be a lot of fun!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by LarryPriest

Thanks for everyone's assistance. I did locate the VIN. It is in the engine compartment, on top of the right frame rail near number 8 cyclinder. There is the VIN tag just like the one on the door hinge post on my GT. Never thought about looking there. This Avanti is a whole new animal. Gonna be a lot of fun!
                        That is the normal place for the regular serial number plate on an Avanti.
                        Most were trying to find the second, hidden, location of a serial number, such as on the rear crossmember of Larks.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

OPPS, that's right Gary, none of us were thinking "Serial Number Plate", because the poster asked: "I am trying to locate the hidden VIN on a 63 Avanti without success."! [:0]

This is just a stamping.

It is funny how many of these "nomenclature issues" exist on the forum, it always leads to lots of misunderstandings. Looks like this one one went on for 22 days! [:0]
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The VIN plate on the Avanti is usually a "hidden" VIN as it's often covered in grease and oil after a period of time! If you didn't know where to look and wipe it off with a rag it would stay the "invisible VIN".

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                            X