1941 Studebaker champion steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941 Studebaker champion steering

I was driving my 41 champion today and after driving for about 30 miles the steering wheel got tight, turning left to right became a task. It normally turns left and right and spins back to return to center. I stopped and loosened the nut that holds the steering wheel and it acted normally, what should I be concerned about? Is this a sign of something that is about to go bad? My steering box has a fitting and not a plug to add oil. I pumped some oil into it however it started to come out half way up the steering mask is this normal?

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

I assume you have conventional steering. I'll try to get specs on that steering system, meanwhile the only thing I can assume is happening is that your steering is either lacking lube, like you said you filled, or the bell crank itself is restricted. I wouldn't overfill the steering box however, it will probably cause more problems. With the front wheels elevated, try moving your bell crank(I really mean Pitman arm) in both directions with enough leverage of course, and see if at any point your steering is still stiff, then examine the arm again. Make sure no crud has lodged in or near the shaft to prohibit movement. Good luck.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

Hi, thanks for the response, I drove the car this afternoon and no signs of this problem. I hook a grease gun up to it yesterday and gave it a couple of pumps however I don't think I gave it alot. I wonder if I had the steering wheel nut to tight. I loosened it just a little. The car is steering fine now. When these winds die down I am going to grease the front end thanks []

Studebakers forever!
      Studebakers forever!

Comment

studelover,
        I would be a little worried about the steering box binding suddenly. That sounds like something moved. On my 41 Champ I have never had anything get tighter by itself (loose happens all the time!).

The idler arm (called the auxiliary arm in the parts book) is on the passenger side. It is mounted in thick rubber bushings. If one or more of those is gone the whole assembly might shift enough to bind.

My box has a zerk instead of a plug as well. I don't know if it is correct but I have been alternating pumping in grease and pouring in SAE30 oil. Over-filling is not an issue since it runs right back the steering shaft if I get too full.

I certainly would jack the car up and run the steering lock to lock looking for problems. One useful tool I made for this is a 4x4 cut about 10 inches shorter than the front spring. I put a notch on each end for the spring to sit in. With that I can jack the car up keeping the front suspension more or less normal ride height. Use jack stands as well to avoid becoming a statistic.

Comment

Working...
        X