Power Steering Pressure Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Pressure Hose

Is there any "off the shelf" replacement for 1950's era Saginaw pump pressure hoses? Specifically, I am thinking of group 1309-83 pressure hose (#1540103) used on some late '56 and '57 production. These were used with the "type B" Saginaw pumps, the ones with the return hose attached to the side of the reservoir, a single pressure hose at back of the pump.

I've also seen suggestions of having the new hose put together using the old fittings by a shop specializing in heavy hydraulic equipment.

Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

quote:Originally posted by riversidevw

I've also seen suggestions of having the new hose put together using the old fittings by a shop specializing in heavy hydraulic equipment.
    I concur...

The only odd thing is the reduction-fitting (A)in the middle of the pressure hose. I'm not sure if it really is that "important" - but have been told so...
    However- I used a Chevy PS Pump without the fitting on a '54 custom... it worked just fine.Had the hoses made up at a FLAPS, but they quit making them now.

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Any local auto machine shop worth the sign on the door will either have the equipment to make the hoses or can send you to a place that can do it. None of our 1950's cars with P/S should be driving with original hoses -what I mean, is that it's done all the time, ask around and you'll find a shop. Don't trust any old stuff (NOS) off the shelf, you want fresh, pliable, strong hoses.

Best Regards,
      Eric West
      "The Speedster Kid"
      Sunny Northern California
      Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
      And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
      55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
      55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)
      Best Regards,
      Eric West
      "The Speedster Kid"
      Sunny Northern California
      Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
      And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
      55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
      55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

I know of two FLAPS in our town that make those up. Ask around and you should find someone who can do it. Years ago I had to have two made up on the same day for my GT Hawk. That's when I discovered what the spring-like thing was that holds the hose away from the exhaust! [:0]

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
        "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Agree that using 50+ year old NOS pressure hose is about as clever as actually mounting that original spare tire in the trunk on the car! (I need reminding to have the extra radial installed). In referring to "off the shelf" I was simply wondering if any of the new replacements for vintage Chevys, etc would work. I would use a NOS hose only to have refitted with new hose and quicken turn around time at local shop. (Excellent shop, lousy outdoor storage lot.)

Thanks for the information.

Gil Zimmerman
          Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
          1956 Golden Hawk
          1958 Packard Hawk
          1958 President
          Gil Zimmerman
          Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
          1956 Golden Hawk
          1958 Packard Hawk