Shipping a car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping a car...

Not getting my '64 Daytona HT 'til third week of March or so, but a friend who had a Lark wagon shipped from CA to OH claims the shipper apparently 'tied 'er down' by the frame and as a result, he has an area in his frame where the bottom rail is pulled out some. No big deal, but he did notice this. He said the car should be tied down by the suspension. Anybody else feel this is the case, and is it something I should ask the shipper to do?

Thanks,
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    '64 Daytona Hardtop
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

That's why, whenever it comes up, I beg people to NEVER bind a car down by the frame. Not only does it put massive, unnecessary stress on the suspension and frame, it causes just the type of damage you describe! What happens is, the springs have a huge pre-load in them; but there's still travel left. Then, on the road, whenever the trailer goes over any decent-size bump, the vehicle bounces and pounds against the anchor points like a jackhammer. That tears holes in frames, and can even bend a rail, depending on where the tie-down point is. Factor in the thinner-than-average Studebaker frame, and you've got the potential for real damage[V]

That said, there is an exception: On the modern multi-car carriers it is sometimes necessary to cramp cars down against the suspension. This is because the clearance between the vehicles and the hauler frame- or the overall height- is so close, there's no room for them to bounce without bumping against the trailer structure (or going over max height). The good news is, new cars are much better-equipped to withstand this; and with older cars, it's usually not necessary.

It might be a good idea to mention the above to the trucker when he calls you- in particular the thin frame. But chances are he may already be thinking about it. Most of the time mine have been on the upper deck, where they can lower that deck down far enough to give clearance.

Good luck on your shipping; can't wait for you to get yours home![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Bill,

Save the worries. Just go get it and drive it home. You need a little adventure in your life!

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '78 Avanti II
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

Bill,

Save the worries. Just go get it and drive it home. You need a little adventure in your life!

Jim Bradley
        Lewistown PA
        '78 Avanti II
        Indeed I do, Jim! I've been working too much lately...although with this economy, I should be glad about that!

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        '64 Daytona Hardtop
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        All are in Australia now

Comment

What Bob Andrews said, Bill. Having towed dozens of Studebakers thousands upon thousands of miles on my own single trailer, I can tell you Bams is spot-on. It is easier to damage a Studebaker frame than 'most any other vehicle, unfortunately. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks, 'B and B'! I emailed the shipper yesterday about this and got a quick reply that they would tell the trucker this. I will try and tell him in person too.

Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            '64 Daytona Hardtop
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            All are in Australia now

Comment

Exciting days are just ahead for you!!! By the way, is the trailer open or enclosed and what was the cost?
              Peter Bishop

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PeterHawk

Exciting days are just ahead for you!!! By the way, is the trailer open or enclosed and what was the cost?
                Open trailer, and $595.00. It's 750 miles. It could hardly be in Wisconsin yet be any farther away from me!

Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                '64 Daytona Hardtop
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                All are in Australia now