transtar with Ford 429 and C-6 tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transtar with Ford 429 and C-6 tranny

Hi, brand new to the forums. I have a good deal on a 429 motor with a c-6 transmission. The truck currently has a 351W but I'm not sure what transmission. My initial questions are:
    Will the 429 motor mounts drop in place of the 351 mounts?
    How can I identify what transmission is currently in it?
    I can't wait to look around here...
    Apologies if this should go in a different forum.
    Good weekend to all and thanks in advance?

Hi and welcome.
    429 mounts and Windsor mounts are two different animals. The shape of the trans pan will tell you what it is, but the trans that is bolted to the Windsor engine is based on the Ford small block. 429 and 460 engines are all by themselves as far as engine mounts and bellhousing configurations.

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

I believe the late 70s 400 and the 351 Cleveland engines have the same block/mount/bellhousing dimensions.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

You might want to check over at:

3E38
        4E2
        4E28
        5E13
        7E7
        8E7
        8E12
        8E28

59 Lark
        etc

Comment

The 429 shares bellhousing with the 351/400M. The 351W shares bell with 302 and 351C. To identify your trans--If it's rectangular and longer front to back, its a C4/5 (removable bellhousing; aluminum case). If it has a cast iron case and removable bellhousing, it's an FMX. If its all one piece, (except tailhousing) its a C6; having a corner cut out of the pan, looking like a fat "L". Both motors might have C6's behind them; making the swap easier.

Comment

wouldn't the 429 have the "big block C6" and the 351w the "small block C6"? I thought that the two are different.

Comment

Yes they're different, like I posted. But if they're both C6's then the linkage and driveshaft and crossmember are aleady done. But odds are the 351 trans is a C4, unless it's out of a van or truck. There is actually a bellhousing that would bolt a C4 to a 429. One from a 351M w/C4 would fit the 429. The only thing I'm not sure about is if the 351 pilot for the converter is the same.

Comment

Thanks for all the quick responses. I did some research and found our that there were two types/runs of 429s, but knowing that there are two types of c-6 transmissions is new info that I can use.
                I looked at the existing motor and there isn't much room (I'd estimate about 2 inches) between the esisting 351 mounts and the corner cross section of the frame. The Oil pan is also very close to the fram already as well. I'm wondering how far forward the big block mounts are compared to the small blocks. If it is only 2-3 inches that might be do-able, but any more than that will be some frame mods(something I would like to stay away from). What other clearance issues should I consider in this swap(distributor/headers/etc..)?

I didn't get to check out the tranny this visit. I will post back more info after I get more info on the new engine/tranny. Has anyone ever got a big block ford into a Studebaker pickup?
                Thanks and good monday to all!

Comment

Well, there's more than two types of C6's. There's the 390 bolt pattern, too, so I know of at least three. It's pretty easy to fit a big block anything into a studebaker truck; just put the radiator in front of the support. Just look at all of these conflicting posts and you'll know why people hate fords. I used to have a transmission shop, that's why I'm so familiar with the interchanges. If you think the bellhousings are confusing, just go to Pep Boys and ask for a water pump for a 1973 351 and see how many different ones pop up. You could post a pic on here of your engine and your trans pan; just to make sure that it's even a Windsor motor, because if it's a 351 "M", the 429 will bolt right up.

Comment

Bams,
                    I tend to not even think about 400 modified engines. I had to work on those things under warranty. FOMoCo boat anchor material. The cleveland engine would bolt in place of a 289-302. I did a bunch of those in early Mustangs. (not much in the way of room under the hood)
                    quote:Originally posted by bams50

I believe the late 70s 400 and the 351 Cleveland engines have the same block/mount/bellhousing dimensions.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Jamie McLeod
                    Hope Mills, NC
                    Jamie McLeod
                    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                    1958 Commander "Christine"
                    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                    1955 Commander Sedan
                    1964 Champ
                    1960 Lark

Comment

Well well, time will tell.
                      The deal on the motor fell through, so looks like the truck will be sitting there for a while longer. I might inspect the drivetrain and brakes before I try pulling the motor. Thanks for all the good info and good luck with your projects!

Comment

Working...
                      X