Lost my R2 Flapper Valve - Suggestions wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost my R2 Flapper Valve - Suggestions wanted

I had some trouble starting my R2, it was cold, snowing like a banshee and she just didn't want to start. The engine was pretty well flooded, she had backfired, and the battery was getting low. I gave up starting it and took the carburetor bonnet off and noticed I did not have a flapper valve any more (the rubber part). I'm not sure what happen to the flapper. I was pumping the carburetor pretty good when I thought she would start so I thought maybe the flapper got stuck in the carb, caused the flooding, and fell right through into the intake manifold. I could not see the flapper in the carburetor nor did the gas peddle ever feel like something was jamming up the linkage.

I've taken the carburetor off looked into the manifold but still can't seem to find the flapper. I can't believe the flapper valve was missing the last time I put the carburetor bonnet on so where is it?

I would hate so see the flapper get stuck in one of the valves and then stop the valve from closing, causing bent valve from a piston hitting it or something.

Any suggestions?

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
    Oakville, Ontario.
    Hamilton Chapter
    See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

It might have been crumbling over a period of time and burning up slowly and the back fire blew the rest out the hole and into space.

Besides, even on start up there's enough pressure from the blower to keep it closed so rather than get sucked in I would think it would be pushed out.

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

The flapper rubber was new. The pressure from the supercharger I would have thought may have helped push it through the carburetor and not out the screened hole. I don't see any remnants of the flapper anywhere, no carbon remains of the rubber anywhere from the backfire. I would have thought the screen in the bonnet would stop it from blowing out from the top of the bonnet.

Has anyone ever lost a flapper?

Is the rubber material really soft. (I don't have one to compare it too).

Would the flapper burn up that quickly with a backfire?

Do you think it would be in my best interest to take the intake manifold off and check it out further?

I'd hate to see it get stuck in a valve.

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
      Oakville, Ontario.
      Hamilton Chapter
      See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I forgot about the screen...it must be in there somewhere!

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

Working...
        X