Hub cap restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hub cap restoration

I've used the vinyl decals available from Stuart Tritt (rimpres at megavision dot com) on other hubcaps with great results. I used Stuart's product again yesterday to renew some '62 Lark caps for my '62 2 door HT...

1. Select some '59-63 caps that are in good condition

2. Strip off the old paint with paint remover

3. Polish and wax the stripped caps

4. Apply Stuart's decals.

Applying the little pieces to the outer edge looks daunting at first, but once you "get in the groove" with a system it goes quickly. I applied the decals to these 4 caps in about an hour and a half.

Great Studebaker product [^]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Impressive, and eye catching.

ChopStu
    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Those honestly do look better than OEM in 1962![:0][}] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

How do you think SDC judges will view 'decalled' caps vs nice original caps? Is the difference very noticeable?

toyman

Comment

quote:Originally posted by toyman

How do you think SDC judges will view 'decalled' caps vs nice original caps? Is the difference very noticeable?

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask since I don't have cars judged, but...you would really have to look closely and know what you are looking for to tell the difference between painted and these decals.

I really don't know what a judge would do. And keep in mind, a judge at one meet may do something completely different than a judge at another meet on an item like this.

SI and other vendors sell very nice repoped 59-63 full caps if you are into absolute originality. They are $75 each, however. $30 worth of decals vs $300 for new caps. Your choice may be different than mine .

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm betting unless the decal color is pretty far off, or the judge has a real eagle eye, it may not be noticeable at the time of judging. Now there's nothing wrong with original caps, but ya gotta ask me sometime about the compliment on my original 64 wheel color, when all it was, was Rustoleum Almond Gloss [)].

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
            [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I used these on my 1962 GT Hawk's wheel covers and they're great. I had only a few that gave me a little trouble. I did all four over the winter a couple years ago. It makes a perfect winter project.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Working...
              X