Ride Along on Ron Hall's 200+ MPH Record Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Along on Ron Hall's 200+ MPH Record Run

(This may have been posted on the forum previously, but if so it has been a long time and we've had many people join since then.)

Here's a link to a 3-minute videocam recording from inside Ron Hall's Studebaker-powered Avanti in September 1993, on the actual run during which Ron posted an honest 200 MPH. He was the first and, AFAIK, to date the only person to have been officially recorded exceeding 200 MPH in a Studebaker-powered Studebaker.

Even Team Granatelli tried it in 1964, only to be denied by less than 4 MPH.

Ron's successful run took place over 15 years ago and he passed away only 29 months after this video was made, far too early, at age 46. Nonetheless, his accomplishment remains a milestone in the Studebaker hobby.

RIP Ron, for we know you are...and for everyone else, ENJOY! BP

A group of Studenuts put together a Record Breaking Avanti with a 30 year old Stude engine, besting Andy Granatelli's world-famous ride by several MPH.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That was great , Bob !
    He musta got excited when the car was moving around a bit in the one section !

[IMG]Home of the Fried Green Tomato
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

That was great , Bob !
      He musta got excited when the car was moving around a bit in the one section!
      Yeah, I don't know if Ron's wife is still receiving royalties from his Depends endorsement! [:0]
      (Just kidding) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

Yesterday was quite a long time ago~

StudeDave '57 [8D]
        Dave: The one posted yesterday was a different video; not the 200-MPH run.[:0] (Although, if someone followed links, they probably could have found this "200-miler.") BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
          Dave: The one posted yesterday was a different video; not the 200-MPH run. [:0] (Although, if someone followed links, they probably could have found this "200-miler.") BP
          Very well- I stand corrected. I've got the entire video here~
          and it all sounds better then 'good' to me!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]

StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Sure was a good day when we all heard that Ron finally met his goal.
            ( I'll bet Luanne was happy, too.)
            We asked Ron to bring the Avanti (and his family) to the CrossRoads Zone Meet in 1994 to display the car and to speak at our banquet. He was enthusiastic, and it was great to meet him.
            Yeah, he is missed. Don Simmons still says "There's my buddy!"
            whenever a picture of Ron comes up.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
            47 M-5
            Izzer Buggy
            Junior Wagon
            Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
            61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
            Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
            Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Whew! Great! Thanks for posting! I was holding my seat after awhile there, and almost felt the sheer panic when he started moving about on the road during his acceleration!

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

I watched the video and watched that mountain in front of him dance back and forth across the windshield, and I am reminded of some of the winter days driving the Lark up here. I also am reminded of the times I found myself on the opposite side of the road staring back at the direction I came from. I watched the whole movie thinking "Yep, that's the view [)]" after recalling the winter driving up here. Anyway there's only a couple things you can do in those situations; get out of the oscillating fishtale, or grip the wheel and hold on for dear life, because that car is going to go where it wants to go [}]. Oh, life and the necessary experience from a Northern Town ......
                It's a pity Ron didn't see the results of his accomplishments. Who knew the movie would end up on a public website for all to see many years later(if I recall this was the age AOL was just coming into its own), and who knew many years later his car and his likeness would wind their way into an upstanding public display in a very improved and remarkable museum. If he could only, figuratively and literally, see himself now, and what his efforts have become.....

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000145-1.jpg[/img=left][IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                X