283 V8 performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 283 V8 performance

Hey, Ive just been wondering all winter, what would be an easy way to get some extra power out of my Cruiser's 283, its not the greatest for power, but its not bad either, still has the original Rochester 2 barrel, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Eric

Eric Harnett
    1966 Cruiser
    Hamilton Ontario
    Hamilton Chapter
    Eric Harnett
    1966 Cruiser
    Hamilton Ontario
    Hamilton Chapter

quote:Originally posted by EHarnett

Hey, Ive just been wondering all winter, what would be an easy way to get some extra power out of my Cruiser's 283, its not the greatest for power, but its not bad either, still has the original Rochester 2 barrel, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Eric

Eric Harnett
    1966 Cruiser
    Hamilton Ontario
    Hamilton Chapter
    Slap in a 350!

But if that's not an option, a 4 bbl intake with a small AFB (new Edelbrock stuff would be nice) and dual exhausts would perk things up quite a bit . . .

Comment

When I read the thread title I thought, boy, talk about terms that don't go together

The 283 is one of the best-running, most dependable engines you can get; but as you can imagine, they're severely limited in performance potential. As Allen said, a 4 bbl. and duals will help a little. Probably the best bang for the buck would be a 350- plentiful, dirt cheap, and can easily make all the power you'd ever want with off-the-shelf parts, again for very low cost. The best thing about having a 283 is, any small block Chevy will bolt right in without any alterations.

Really it depends on how much "extra power" you're looking for.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The 57-58 era Chevys got 220 hp out of a 283 with a Rochester four-barrel and dual exhausts.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Whatever you do, don't throw the 283 away. They're pretty rare

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
          55 President State Sedan
          70 Avanti (R3)
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

The 283 and 327 (IMHO) are the best of the Chevy small blocks. The options (for horsepower) are limitless and can be done relatively cheap. Depending on the year, the 283 can take a 4 inch bore. Personally, with a Chevy engine, I always start with the heads. You can go the aftermarket route or with larger heads off a bigger small block. You could also have "performance" head work done to your existing heads. The Chevy Forums should get you pointed in the right direction. As Skip Lackie posted; the late fifties 283 had 220 hp. They also had 283 hp with fuel injection.

Chuck....9G-C5

Comment

Neither is cheap, but each is quite doable for your car...you want some extra power? Two very nice options...

1) Fuel injection...either Edelbrock (I have that and it's excellent), or the GM Performance Ramjet.

2) Slap a blower on it. Vortech makes a bolt-on supercharger setup for a small block Chevy.

As I said...neither is as cheap as a new intake and 4-barrel carb, but you will see extra power and likely won't see another Stude like it!

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Later (461-462 casting, 1.94 int. valve) heads with some pocket porting. A good int. manifold and a good 600 or 650cfm carburetor.
                Wake that little sucker right up.
                My brother and I did a 292 (bored 283) this way many years ago. great little engine.

Mike

Comment

A good performance distributor (or a little modifing of the advance on the original one ) helps a bunch

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                  Lewisville,NC
                  1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                  Lewisville,NC

Comment

Eric

The 283 was the nicest of all the SBC's as far as I'm concerned. May not be the highest HP but they rev so quick when setup right that they are a joy to drive. Brings joy to the sole.

I put a 305 SBC in my Ford coupe that had the big valve heads from a station wagon. I added a Weiand cam and dual plane manifold with a small Holley 4-bbl. Added a Mallory dual point dist.

The reason that I expounded on the 305, is that everytime I drive the coupe, it brings back memories of the fast reving 283's I've had in the past. Just a joy to drive. It'll get it's butt kicked by a lot of other SBC's but it can't be beat for smiles-per-miles.[]

My point is: If your motor is in good shape get a good (modest) cam and intake with a small 4-bbl and see how it runs. A distributor change is possible to help and I'll bet even a head upgrade is cheap.

Remember, you are working with the least expensive to modify engine there is.

Bob [^]

Comment

I don't think I would do all of that hop-up stuff if it was my car. I remember driving a new impala with a 283 and that thing would get it on. Check the compression. Make sure the cam isn't going flat. I would make sure that the engine wasn't getting tired; it might need an overhaul. Sometimes just a good valve job can really wake up a tired motor. I would keep the heads and single exhaust but install a later model (larger) rochester two barrel with an adapter. I would trash the distributor for a hi-po unit from like Summit. Something that is electronic but looks stock (external coil). I would install a new multi-keyway double roller timing chain and adjust the cam timing based on compression. The new out-of-box timing components retard your cam by one cam tooth for post 71 smog requirements. Do all of that and you'll find out why the 283 is the MOST respected motor in the automotive world.

Comment

Seeing as I've been using my '65 Cruiser as a daily driver for over 17 years now, I have a few things to add here. Keep the following in mind~
                        • Alot of these seem to have a 3.07 rear end in them~
                          'Quick' they are not, 'fast' they are- indeed!!!
                        • If you 'build' (hop-up) the motor- don't forget the transmission.
                        • One of the BADDEST El Caminos in my 'hometown' was powered by a 283.
                          My brother Mike has the motor now...

All I've done to mine is install a Pertronix, and some bigger exhaust. She does just fine, thanks. But~ she's coming up on 300,000 miles, so the next rebuild will be 'different' to say the least. [:0]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
                        San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
                        San Diego County SDC

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                        '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
                        '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                        '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                        '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                        '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
                        '55 PROTOTYPE panel van
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57
                          [list][*]Alot of these seem to have a 3.07 rear end in them~
                          'Quick' they are not, 'fast' they are- indeed!!![*]If you 'build' (hop-up) the motor- don't forget the transmission.
                          What Dave said. A 3.07 rear end combined with the second gear start FOM does not make for a real quick car...with most ANY engine. [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Loved the 283. How about sticking a 327 MARINE cam in there? Lots more grunt
                            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

If ya want to be cheap, have the distribtor recurve, then with the quiet exhaust ,you can here the tires squeal... From the line.... dual exhaust... Four barrel carb.... open element air cleaner... 4 barrel intake manifold,with carb spacer,will help. Maybe you could have someone install a upper oil sheild in the lifter area,keep the hot oil off the bottom of the manifold, tried that once,but you have to think like an engineer,/0n 66 327, they have a breather that actually comes out of the top of the lifter area, Hmmm I wonder if your 283 has that breather also. Everything has to be tight.....

Comment

Working...
                              X