Get your affairs in order!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get your affairs in order!

This listing really drove that home to me[B)] Guy passes on, leaving a family who heard repeatedly how valuable this stuff is, so the family thinks it has a high market value Nowhere do I see the only real money stuff- the two superchargers!

Reinforces the need for either 1) Minimizing how much stuff you have or 2) Having everything organized and catalogued as much as possible, and having somebody- a trusted, interested family member or Stude friend- who has knowledge of your stuff, and the willingness and ability to liquidate it for your survivors.

I fear this stuff will be a source of frustration for the deceased's family, eventually getting sold for almost nothing or scrapped altogether.

Really a shame. Be prepared!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Bob; These are 56 G/H. Packard engines, no super chargers.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

That really is too bad, it appears that he built the nice concrete block building AFTER all the 56J engine parts rusted all up outdoors, or in in a poor wood shed
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I guess he was hoping to build one out of the two. They look very rough. Probably been outside under a tree for 30 years or more.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
        "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Clemens

Bob; These are 56 G/H. Packard engines, no super chargers.
          The listing says "both cars were supercharged". So... I dunno...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Bob: The one hood standing up in the garage is a unique-to-1956 hood. It looks like it might be usable, but of course you can't see the rearmost corners, which would be critical.

'Probably is $1,500 worth there with both cars and all the parts and materials, since you get a complete 56J factory overdrive setup in the bargain.

The seller lists the Serial Numbers, too, but neither one is the as-yet-unaccounted-for second 1956 Golden Hawk my Dad's dealership sold new. That one was #6031286, Ultramatic in the same yellow and white as the front car pictured. But that was a common color combo. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yeah... I should add the flip side, which is there might be a gold mine of goodies not pictured that the seller didn't think were important enough to picture...

I readily admit I don't know much about these cars, but I see two cars that probably have no floors or frame left, and it's hard to tell what else might be of value from the pictures; but $1500, even with travel, loading, transport, etc. might not be bad. Problem is, I was SURE I read that BIN as $4500[)]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

From what I can tell, the cars are nothing but basket cases & would cost far more to restore than they're worth. Not much value there to me.
                Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

quote:Guy passes on, leaving a family who heard repeatedly how valuable this stuff is, so the family thinks it has a high market value
                  How do you know that that's the case? It's their stuff, they can put whatever price they want on it. Not everyone knows exactly what things may be worth. Maybe the owner of the cars/parts had $1500 invested. Maybe they tossed that price out there to 'test the waters'. So the BIN is $1500. So what? It's not hurting anything...

Go put some snow tires on that Lark wagon, Bob. Lighten up a bit and go for a drive. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

The Dashes would be a good price if someone was to part them out

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

quote:Guy passes on, leaving a family who heard repeatedly how valuable this stuff is, so the family thinks it has a high market value
                      How do you know that that's the case? It's their stuff, they can put whatever price they want on it. Not everyone knows exactly what things may be worth. Maybe the owner of the cars/parts had $1500 invested. Maybe they tossed that price out there to 'test the waters'. So the BIN is $1500. So what? It's not hurting anything...

Go put some snow tires on that Lark wagon, Bob. Lighten up a bit and go for a drive. [)]
                      Spoken like a true fearless youngster[)]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I asked the seller if they had the SCs,and if they could post pics if they do.I also explained that 56's were not supercharged,and if either car was supercharged it was added later. Received the following answer: "My dad said yes,my brother says no. I'll look tomorrow and see if we have them."

Oglesby,Il.
                        " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

If I put the prices on the Stude. "stuff"
                          I have and let my wife see it, I won't survive
                          long enough to die of natural causes

Tex E. Grier

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Awesome comment, Matt![^] After all, they ARE under cover and out of the elements!!

Craig

Comment

56Js have many useful parts often worth more than the price of an unrestored complete car. (unfortunately) However, you can get 30K for a nice one. That clearly pays for some restoration.

Just try to find an original steering wheel, dash, fins, hood, and other unique parts. (Yes, there are some repro steering wheels now)

However, as far as parts go, it does take lots of time and effort to move them, especially to CASOs like me, who would rather fix than put in a better part.

My main point: 56Js are a very nice car, and when I drive any of my other Studebakers, everyone either asks me if it is a GOLDEN Hawk, or do you have a GOLDEN Hawk. Fortunately, I do own a nice one, and I have a nice restorable one that I will eventually tackle. Interestingly, these were my dad's. (getting back to the topic) Its only because I like Studebakers that these cars were not sold off, probably for a song to another CASO.

You can't take it with you if you depart this world. All you can do is enjoy the rides while you can.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X