What is it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it worth?

I stumbled across what I believe to be a 1959 Lark 4 door Deluxe sedan that is for sale. It has been parked inside a barn for the past 8+ years and has suffered some paint damage due to pigeons roosting above it.

It appears to be all there (except the outside rear view mirror) and is a very solid car. There is no visible rust through on the outside of the car and the floors are solid. It appears there was accident damage to the right rear door and to the drivers door in that the paint is peeling and there is a thin layer of bondo. You can still see the row of holes where they apparently pulled a dent in the rear door.

The interior is servicable as is the carpet, but there are water stains on the rear seat. The dash is shot, it has an aftermarket Motorola radio hanging below the dash. It has the flathead 6 that is mated to an auto transmission.

A Studebaker person visited last weekend and offered him $600 which he declined (thought the scrap man offered $300). He is set on getting $850 for it (it has 2 NOS bumpers inside it that he paid $85 for years ago at Carlisle). Is this a decent price for a solid car that will need mechanical work and paint to bring it back? Lastly, can I expect this engine/transmission combo to be able to go 60 MPH down the road?

I have added some pictures below (I hope not too many). Thanks for any advice.

It might be worth the $850, but it needs a lot. I wouldn't give any more than that. If it were a V8, I'd pay more. You have to really want the car for yourself, there is no room for speculation at that price. I'd wave $700 under his nose and leave my phone number if he turned it down.

Comment

If the bumpers are perfect, they are going for $600 a pair. $250 for the car and you're at $850. Somewhat rusty 4 door, 6cyl. automatic...not the most desirable 59 Lark, but I'd take it before it gets crushed.

Comment

This car is not a Deluxe (cheapie) it is a Regal, top of line 4 Dr. The 6 cyl. engine, without 3 speed manual Overdrive is a bit of negative all right. If it has a reasonable axle ratio like 3.54 it will cruise nicely, many of these have the 3.73 and anything above 60 will be revving a bit if that is the case. I agree $700-800 is definitely the TOP!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I ditto barnlark. (I know, if you are going to post something, it should be original, right? Well, I am just trying to throw in my support for saving the car)

1963 Lark, waiting for spring...

Comment

$700-$800 if you want it for yourself to build as a DRIVER. You can build a show-car, but you'll eclipse it's "value" very quickly.
            The 6-cyl/auto is a bit of a slug. Yes it will go 60 easily, but it'll take awhile to get there. The 3/OD makes for a much peppier drive. I think they generally "ride" and handle better than the V8's. It's a very cute little car. Not to be sexist... but the ladies like them!

Check the trunk corners under the trunk-mat...
            Pull the carpet back in front of the front seat- and inspect the floor near the kick-panels.
            Check the rear edge of the front fenders- as it appears to be rusty in the one photo. This is common.. but not too bad to repair.

I am in the process of converting a '59 2-door to V8/auto... and have everything from the driveline of the car 6-cyl 3/OD+ rear axle, all linkages etc... If you consider a swap. Most parts are easily found and not too pricey. JP can do a really nice interior kit for very little money. The lark I have, has seats and carpet from JP...and The owner is VERY happy with them. The dash pad is very easy to replace.

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
            Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
            Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Working...
            X