Avanti HogTroughs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti HogTroughs

i am in the process of replacing my HT's.The body is off chassis.my present issue is the roll bar attaching bolts.I can see the threaded ends of them but I cannot find the bolt heads.
    Do I need to cut an access hole somewhere ?
    any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Gerald Forrester

Two of the bolt heads are between the trough and body panel and must be accessed by removing a small portion of the body panel below the level of the sill. The inner bolts can be accessed by removing the lower portion of the inner panel below the arm rest. Then access holes can be cut with a hole saw through the fibregass bulkhead to reach the inner bolts, or you can enlarge the section of the outer body panel removed to reach the same area. The removed sections can be replaced by bonding strips of fibreglass around the perimeter of the section to create an inner flange that will allow the removed section to bonded back into position. I prefer to do as much removal on the inside and minimize the area of work on the outside as invariably the seams of the repair will sink in time and show. By keeping the outside cuts below the sill level, any sinking is not readily visible.

Comment

Thanks.I'll resume removal later.It looks like there is a row of rivets connecting the metal piece just above the rocker with the outer section of the ht's.I didn't look for rivets for an outer piece while i was in the cab removing the inner ones.if there are some i will remove the dynamat that is there and drill them.

Gerald Forrester

Comment

There are 2 or 3 rivets forward of the front door opening and in line with the rivets covered by the filler. These are often accessed by removing a section of the front fender. I elected to remove a section of the inner kick cowl to get at 2, and cut a section of the lower hinge pocket bottom to access the third - not easy but it can be done. I understand it is common practice to cut the troughs that you are removing and grind off these rivets, and not bother to replace them upon new trough installation. I prefer to install all the rivets that were meant to be there. I took pictures when I did the job, but unfortunately they are not digital, and I haven't got around to setting up my new printer/scanner because I know that will be frustrating. I'm waiting for my son to come down and do it.

Comment

i you get them done ,i would like to see them.i guess when they designed the car replacing these was not on the table.

Gerald Forrester

Comment

?

Comment

I replaced the right side on my R2 with the stainless steel 4 pc. from CI Took a while, but came out real nice. Trying to build up the energy to do the other side. Running on about half power due to Multiple Myeloma. In remission at ths time.
              Alllen

Comment

sorry to hear about that MM.
                were here rivets on the rocker side that you needed to remove?were you able to access the roll bar bolts from inside the car?i hate to cut on the body.
                thanks

Gerald Forrester

Comment

With the 4 piece trough you leave the outer side of the old one in place. A new rail rivets against it and through the floor. The roll bar bolts are drilled out from the bottom. then the holes are tapped and new bolts put in from the bottom. No cutting on the body.
                  Allen

Comment

that sounds good.no cutting on the body.looks like i'll be trying to remove the rear arm rests.evidently the roll bar bolts an behind them...wish me luck.

Gerald Forrester

Comment

quote:Originally posted by satdoc2

With the 4 piece trough you leave the outer side of the old one in place. A new rail rivets against it and through the floor. The roll bar bolts are drilled out from the bottom. then the holes are tapped and new bolts put in from the bottom. No cutting on the body.
                      Allen
                      Does this process require any welding? Thanks.

Mike Jones
                      Pembroke Pines, FL

Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

i replaced both sides on my brothers 63 and used the CI steel units. Yes the outer edge of the old troughs are left intact, as much as possible. the new units are riveted to the old metal and then the floor. The roll bar bolts were drilled out, tapped and new bolts supplied. The only welding I did was to tie all the pieces of the new troughs together after they were completely riveted in. The whole job turned out very nicely.

Comment

Working...
                        X